Wrestling (AEW, WWE, etc)

I enjoyed it. I suppose with the story finished I don’t need to watch WWE anymore. :)
I was expecting the main event to be way more chaotic than it actually was. I’m also surprised Stone Cold didn’t come out to take out the Rock. He must have been unavailable.
Rock taking out Cena so easily made me laugh. Obviously he’s no match for the Final Boss. :)

I don't watch WWE on a regular basis, but one thing I was thinking about was this Wrestlemania should have felt bigger, considering it's the 40th anniversary. Not just have Austin there, but should Shawn Michaels have been there as well? Undertaker was, and he was a shock appearing in the main event. Michaels, though, was Mr. Wrestlemania for a long time. Maybe I expected a little more historical context to celebrate the milestone, but then maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the weekend was supposed to be about, and it ended up with Cody finishing the story.

That was the point. Finish the story and look to the future.

Besides, there were plenty of homages to Shawn Michaels on the show.

There were? I guess I didn't notice. I know the street profits match had a lot of tributes to past wrestlers (especially the Dudleys) so maybe that was what you were talking about?

There were? I guess I didn't notice. I know the street profits match had a lot of tributes to past wrestlers (especially the Dudleys) so maybe that was what you were talking about?

There were a bunch on the first night.

- Gargano was cosplaying Michaels in DIY’s DX inspired intro
- Belair, Naomi, & Cargill descending from the heavens (Shawn Michaels’ WM25 intro)
- Seth Rollins super kicking the Rock when the Rock had Cody in the Sharpshooter was a callback to the Shawn Michaels-Bret Hart rivalry.

I enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed night 2 quite a bit than night 1, but overall good. Night 2 had no bad matches or slow moments. Main event delivered everything it should, though it did feel like Undertaker was a late replacement for Austin. I would have prefered Austin - and seeing Rock take one last Stunner. Maybe Austin wants his match with Owens last year (2 years ago?) to be his final appearance. Bayley/Io was really good too. Night 1 had probably the best overall match in Sami/Gunther but the main event tag really dragged. And the battle of the Usos was such a flop. So much build up and that was the best they could do?

Couldn’t get into the Sami match. He just felt like the wrong person to face Gunther. It should have been Chad.
Sami is beyond the IC title at this point.

Back