Worst command decisions by Captain James T. Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gary7, Jun 20, 2017.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But with Spock's contamination of this young man?
    JB

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yes I have to agree that anyone killing someone arbitrarily to save someone else would still be in big trouble.
    Although does it differ that much to the Galileo 7 situation where Spock may have arbitrarily picked someone to stay behind to save the others?

There's supposed to be thousands of systems capable of bearing life in the TOS era. Obviously this system is way out of the regular space traffic lanes so no-one would normally want to go there. If Terrell gets a report saying instead of 10 planets there were now 9 planets in the system what does he care. He's not out there to investigate missing planets. All he wants to do is find a planet that meets a certain criteria and then get on with "some real work", "a holiday" or "some shore leave". Who knows?
    Planets and star systems are probably being created/destroyed all over the place all the time. Perhaps its not the first time Terrell has seen an error on a previous star mapping survey

And maybe there is no ban on Khan's planet. After all - all charges had been dropped. Maybe Starfleet thought these superman are stuck on a planet they agreed to go on lets leave them in peace and maybe when they want to negotiate with the Federation once they'd created some communication device. Once the superman were humbled by having to do some back breaking work themselves to tame the planet and not having slave work forces they'd be humbled enough to be an asset to the Federation.

Of course they could have one it better.. I reckon it would have been better for Chekov to say he had not been aboard the Enterprise at the time and had heard stories of Khan. Thats why he didn't warn Terrell about them being in a solar system with life on one of the other planets. I'm pretty sure the criteria for the Genesis experiment should have been no life on any planets in the solar system just in case something went wrong and the Genesis planet broke up (which it did).

Henoch likes this.
  3. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I've followed the thread closely. The answer remains Space Seed, featuring about four ridiculous, mindblowingly inept decisions.

SiddFinch1 likes this.
  4. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Kirk waits until the Companion is directly over Cochrane before he tells Spock to activate the electrical impulse disruptor. Zaaaaappppppp!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that Kirk's decision at the end of "Space Seed" was rather cruel.

I can just barely tolerate living in a primitive, backward society like late 20th century and early 21st century USA. The idea of living in an even less advanced society is depressing, especially one centuries or millennia less advanced than I am used to, while the idea of living in a society centuries or millennia more advanced than I am used to seems wonderful.

So depriving the augments of advanced 23rd century society seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me.

And on screen Kirk only asks Khan and Marla if they want to be marooned on Ceti Alpha V. The other 72 augments were apparently not given any choice. As the saying goes, what are they, chopped liver? Aren't they persons with legal rights?

And in "Enterprise Incident" Kirk steals the Romulan cloaking device and takes it to the Enterprise for Scott to install. But Kirk doesn't wait until Scott has it properly installed and is sure it will work before transporting Spock to the Enterprise and starting the escape. That seems reckless.

Spock's Barber likes this.
  6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If we assume that Khan was speaking honestly when he said that his followers had sworn to live and die at his command, then asking his followers would be unnecessary. That said, it could have been made more explicitly clear that Khan had the authority to speak for them. It's a shame there wasn't at least one sympathetic augment, but I guess that would have gone against the story they were trying to tell.

In regards to choosing to live in a primitive society though...it was their choice, so I don't see how we would ourselves feel about it is especially relevant. I think Khan was, if anything, looking forward to conquering a world, as it were.

Phaser Two likes this.
  7. Henoch

Henoch Commodore Premium Member

I think the backup plan was to run away at Warp 9 thinking he was faster than the Romulan's acquired Klingon ships. When the D7 started rapidly overtaking the Enterprise, Kirk didn't seem surprised, only concerned. Apparently, the Federation was aware of the D7's superior speed and fire power over the Enterprise; I guess he was hoping that the Klingons held back some capabilities, so, his backup plan was also another bad decision.

8. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only unfortunate part (for Khan, anyway) was that there were no people to conquer. Unless his group started infighting...

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is about Captain Kirk, not Janeway.

10. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Commodore Commodore

Opps wrong thread!

Steven P Bastien likes this.
  11. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Hey, politicians blame the past office holders, why shouldn't the captains?

12. johnnybear

Khan and his followers weren't really citizens of a country, world or Empire but in reality they were war criminals! So if he had of taken them back to the Federation they would have been re-educated or even put on trial to answer for their crimes against the whole of humanity centuries before!
    JB

13. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure the term "war criminals" requires that people not be citizens of somewhere.

It does, however, require that the perpetrators be combatants or military or civilian leaders, which it is clear does in fact apply to Khan and co. and the Eugenics wars were very much fought between nations.

If we assume their birth countries no longer exist int he 23rd century then they would simply be citizens of Earth.

14. johnnybear

Yes but Khan's people were a vast selection of different races! so did he enlist all registered supermen or were they already living in his principality?
    JB