Worst comic book runs on major books?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dinosauricon, Jun 26, 2009.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a cool thread. I read a lot of comics but I can't say I've read any one series consistently enough to judge what's the worst. Recently, I was disappointed in Batman RIP, but I can't say whether that's the worst run on the Bat books. I didn't care for the recent Flash family take before Flash: Rebirth. It reminded me too much of the Incredibles.

I liked the idea of ripping the adamantium from Wolverine, but I think the bone-blade/animalistic Wolverine thing went on too long. Also, I'm one of the few people who liked the Clone Saga. It was silly at times, but pretty engaging. I didn't like OMD. Though I did like the Character Assassination arc and am currently enjoying the American Son arc.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

YES! Superman For Tomorrow was horrible! I remember getting all excited finding 11 of the 12 issues in a dollar bin at the comic store. OMG, Jim Lee drawing Superman!!! I had no idea I would be reading the lamest most surreal Supes story I've ever read.

3. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

any of Loeb's modern work

4. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Not even Lee's artwork could save it. And it's saved many titles in the past, believe me.

-Jeph Loeb on Ultimates
    -Frank Miller on any Batman book after Year One. Even DKR is overrated.
    -Judd Winnick on Batman, Green Arrow, and Green Lantern
    -Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol, New X-Men, and Batman
    -Chuck Austen on X-Men(still better then Bendis and Morrison though)
    -Brian Micheal Bendis on Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, and New Avengers

-John Byrne on Wonder Woman(and pretty much everything else he's done since)

-Devin Grayson on Nightwing. First the one night stand with Huntress. Then letting a some D-League chick rape him. Chuck Dixon must have been pleased.

-Rob Liefeld on New Mutants
    -Chris Claremont on New Excalibur

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, that was terrible.

6. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Everything Marvel after Jim Shooter was fired (with a few exceptions)
    Everything John Byrne did after Fantastic 4 (Especially his West Coast/Avengers work)
    Everything Valiant after Jim Shooter was fired (no exceptions)

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd have to say the whole Clone Saga turned me off from comics too. Not to mention when Marvel rebooted all their big tittles like Captain America, Iron Man, the Avengers, Fantastic Four etc... I haven't collected since then.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I'll go out on a limb, but Clone Saga wasn't *too* bad in some regards, I remember actually being kind of excited to watch "the story start over" with Ben Reilly. He had some interesting new villans, a new female Doc Ock, a new Rose, Delilah (she was effin' hot), a number of older bad guys and gals that Pete's fought waaaaaay too many times, but watching Ben fight them, they felt fresh again. So some good did come out of it honestly. I actually kind of wished that Peter and MJ were allowed to 'retire' so to speak and basically let Pete get on with his life, he put in his time in the tights, and other than a few team ups or "hey Pete how do I stop this guy?" calls, it let a new guy take on the role, yet it was done in a way that didn't make it feel like they just found another hard luck guy to "play" Peter.

Now the whole Osborne connection, that just... that sucked. And having Gwen sleep with Norman? I mean WHAT the fuck?! I think had Gobby not killed her, she and Pete would have been married. But to sully that whole character, she was always the innocent, sweet, demure one. The one that probably combed her hair 50 times before bed and knelt at the side of the bed to say her prayers, and said words like "gosh and darnit!", the one that probably represented damn near perfect woman. Not to say MJ wasn't perfect, but Gwen was... different. And for them to turn her into a kind of a slut, sleeping with an older man, old enough to be her father, and not tell Peter that "oh yeah when I was in Europe, I was pregnant and gave up the babies. So you want to go out for a pizza or chinese?"

The fact that Osborn is still around and in charge of SHIELD (I refuse to call that refuse HAMMER) is enough to make me go back and read only old back issues until that mess straightens out.

Hell, I'd even read any of the "worst runs" over that.

Oh yeah and... I hated Ultimatum. Sure folks... let's have the Blob (Liz Allen aka Firestar's daddy) fuckin' EAT THE WASP! I mean c'mon.

9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to read the Superman comics back in the 90s... Action Comics, Superman and The Adventures of Superman. But, I HATED Louise Simonson's work on Superman: The Man of Steel. And I didn't care much for Jon Bogdanove's art, either.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Captain America 401-408 Cap Wolf
    Iron Man 326-332 Boy Stark

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't like Louise and Jon on MOS either. I don't think they were outright bad, but they were way out of step with the other Superman titles. And the whole line was beginning to decline at that time. Dan Jurgens's writing was a lot more prominent, and they brought in David Michelinie too. Those two are okay with the right editor, but the rest of the time they write stuff that is just juvenile. That was the case here. And later they let Karl Kesel write. (ARRRGH!) They appeared to be pushing quantity over quality. The only quality writer they had left was Roger Stern.

So, that trend led straight into "The Death Of Superman", "The Return of Superman", "The Fall Of Metropolis", and I don't know what all. None of these were bad, but they were mediocre and overdone. Roger Stern left after "The Fall Of Metropolis", and it descended into crap like "The Death Of Clark Kent." At that point, I left too.

12. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Imagine how things might have gone if Jim Shooter's bid to buy Marvel had won over Ron Perelman's!

13. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Iron Man is pretty much crap...Blech.

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Have to agree that Valiant tanked after Shooter.
    Disagree that everything Byrne did was bad. His Black and White 4 issue OMAC story was very solid.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Loeb on Ultimates 3. it's not as bad as i thought it would be, but it's still a lot shitter than U1 and U2. hate the art though.

Kirkman on Ultimate X-Men. okay, there was some good stuff in there, but the way he fucked over Nightcrawler...