World War Z premiere to coincide with end of the world

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, this doesn't look good. Lindelof wrote the stupid fest that was Prometheus. Dunno how the hell this guy's getting jobs nowadays??

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

We'd all be better off if HBO would adapt the novel to a TV series, with each episode being a chapter. Some might require two episodes. There's no main character, it's an anthology format.

The real problem here is that an episodic anthology format doesn't jibe with expectations for movies, and that has more to do with the movie business than creative issues.

6. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought we were in trouble when this became a starring vehicle for Brad Pitt. Now it might be PG-13? Ugh!

Sean

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nah, it'll seem to everyone that HBO was trying to copy the success of AMC's The Walking Dead.

Besides, they already have two huge ratings hits with True Blood and Game of Thrones. They aren't that desperate for a hit.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

The movie should be a documentary. Complete with found footage and everything.

9. banzaiduck

banzaiduck Lieutenant

Lindelof? Fuck me, that's not what I wanted to hear after my experiences with LOST and Prometheus.

Guess he's the flave of the month in the film industry.

BANZAI!!!!!!

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They seem to want to turn this into some kind of epic zombie war movie which would be a mistake. That would only increase the budget by a lot and make it harder to do well and get sequels. Zombie movie simply aren't THAT big so they need small or modest budgets in order to do well.

11. sojourner

^Um, the book was a pretty "epic zombie war". Did you read it?

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Quite silly...

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It was and it wasn't. Tone and context makes a huge difference and the tone of the book wasn't some grand sweeping epic about a global zombie apocalypse, it was a collection of very personal stories set against the background of said global zombie apocalypse. Filming it as just a straight-up zombie flick rather misses the point.

They appear to be just making a zombie film in the style of a Roland Emmerich disaster movie when what they should be emulating is something more along the lines of 'Crash' or 'Babel'.

14. sojourner

Oh I agree the movie was doomed the moment they made Brad's character a "scientist trying to stop a zombie apocalypse" instead of keeping to it's anthology base.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Disagree. There was an war going on, but it always felt like it was taking place in the background.

The book felt like a very lorg documentary with personal stories from dozens of people about the fight with the zombies. It wasn't about ONE guy fighting a horde of zombies like this movie seem to be turning into.

16. Admiral_Young

The zombie war was over by ten years. The book was an account of people's experiences during the war, indeed an oral history of the conflict. The war was declared "officially over" but there where still millions of zombies around I believe. I like the found footage suggestion earlier...that could work very well. It is a pretty complicated book to adapt though.

17. sojourner

Did I say "one guy"? No, I said "epic". You can't tell me that parts of the book weren't epic like the battle of Yonkers or the retaking of the U.S. Yes, as a posted previous to you, they have basically put aside what the book was about.

I think it would have been very easy to do the movie in the style of the book. You could just frame each story with Brad interviewing the narrator of each story. Heck, they could have gone pretty cool with it and had different directors with different styles for each segment. But NOoooo, Brad had to be the Hero with a capital "H" and cause a total rewrite of the concept of the book. As typical with Hollywood, they licensed the book but threw out everything but the title.

18. Admiral_Young

I did post JMS's drafts earlier. They're well worth the read. I think he did the best adaption. They're legit in case anyone was hesitating because of that. JMS acknowledged the site when our very own Jan posted them to his facebook page.

19. banzaiduck

banzaiduck Lieutenant

Sounds something like omega man.

[​IMG]

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

It looks like those drafts by JMS have been posted for about a year. Now that JMS is aware of them, they may not be posted for long. Both are very much worth the read, though I think the second draft would probably have worked better. It's a shame what they're doing - the movie doesn't seem like it'll have much resemblance to the book at all.

Jan