World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if this has been answered yet: Is the score featuring the old Trek theme known from the previous movies and the TNG title sequence?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe it's been answered "no" - Courage's score from the TV series appears in the final credits, but no music from previous Trek films.

3. msbae

msbae Commodore

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know where to start this question (or if its been done already). But with all the talk (Or complaints depending on your personal views) of the timeline not resetting. As anyone ever really thought to ask what about The Voyage Home. Time Travel did occur and they did alter the timeline. Earth should have been destroyed by the Probe (at least most life forms). Yet the timeline wasn't restored. And hell most fans like that movie...

5. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"This is unsound". :lol:

6. oneal_cj

oneal_cj Ensign Newbie

Hey DAC ! Where is the rest of the story! Thank you so much for posting this! Ive been itching to read a detailed synopsis about the film. THANKS!!!!!

7. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Just remembered seeing that mysterious corridor on ncc-1701.com - it clearly isn't the Enterprise, so is that meant to be the Kelvin, or isn't it in the film?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's a good question. I don't think I've seen anyone mention that corridor at all in talking about having seen the movie.

9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

^Awhile back someone who had seen parts of the film said that the "lower decks" (2ndary hull) had a much different look than the upper decks. Could the "mystery corridor" be from the 2ndary hull?

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's been suggested before, but the curvature of the corridor and direction of the cross passage make it look like what we see in the picture would have a hard time fitting in the Enterprise's secondary hull. It seems more consistent with a saucer-type hull using a mix of concentric-circle and radial passageways.

11. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

The Voyage Home, along with all the other stories set after the new movie's point of divergence, no longer happen; they are gone forever. Regardless of what the producers say, the original timeline simply cannot have survived. After Nero and Spock go back to 2233, everything that they knew 2233+ in their timeline is totally negated. That is the law of time travel in Star Trek......as much as we may hate it....:(

It's like Crisis on Infinite Earths was for DC Comics in the 80s: Everything that happened prior to the Crisis...DIDN'T happened, because it was retroactively erased from continuity. The same applies here.

12. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

What did you think about Scotty´s friend at Delta Vega? Do you reckon he will join the crew as Scotty´s assistant?

I liked him, he could be a good side kick.

13. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

You mean the little cute critter? I hope he'll be blasted out of the nearest airlock before filming for XII begins. Trek does not need cutesy wee wittle alien sidekicks.

14. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, EJA, this is something different. This is Marvel Comics style time-travel, where you can't change the past--you instead create a new quantum reality. It's like the issue where Ben Grimm goes back in time to cure himself of being the Thing as a younger man. All he did was create a new universe where a younger Ben Grimm was no longer the Thing, with a new history branching off from there. When Ben returned to his own time there where no changes, as he simply created a timeline that now exists parallel to his own.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's Spock's ship.

Let's see...no, no, no, no and no. ;)

If TPTB say the original timeline has survived, then by definition, it has. They're the ones who make the rules here. And besides, anybody who's read Countdown knows that it has.

16. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

You are right he could be the new Jar Jar.

But he had an attitude that I liked.:guffaw:

17. Kruge

Kruge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

given the review posted so far, I am incredibly touched by the scene described in which Spock describes himself as a member of an endangered species....

I have been excited about this film for the past two years, but I was completely confused about the decision to destroy Vulcan

On the one hand, you get to see shit blow up...never a bad thing in Star Trek

On the other hand, I didn't really understand the point, and it seemed like a hard thing to defend.

I now honestly think that this will make the Spock character - both of them - incredibly more interesting, a feat I would have decried as impossible before...

It's almost as if Abrams is giving a giant middle finger to the idea of a reboot - yes, the franchise is being re-launched, with cool new props, sets, effects, sexed up, etc, but at a price - because this universe will be forever altered.

I don't think that the "Vulcans as Jews during the Diaspora" aspect of it should be the focus of later films, but it should be mentioned, and I cannot imagine the stories that will come of this, from fan fiction to published, mainstream novelizations and comics.

I am really heartbroken just reading about this, and I cannot imagine how I will feel watching it...Star Trek is not my entire life, but it is my favorite Sci-Fi series, and this is just stunning...

18. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SOrry but I think my point was misunderstood. After all the talk about "the original unaltered time line", I wondered why no one seems to realize that it never existed anymore after the events of Voyage Home. At that point a new altered time line was created. One where humanity lives.

Just pointing out that most of Trek's adventures (all TNG, DS9, VOY) and films 5 - 10 were already in an altered timeline. And if you had a problem with altered timelines then you better have hated all of that material.

19. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    You know, if they can blow up Vulcan for effect, then they certainly could have had Shatner in this movie.

20. Kruge

Kruge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No...not really...

If the whole story was penned out, and it followed the same lines as Countdown and the film, then when Spock gets pulled back in time in 2387, Kirk (Shatner) is dead.
    So you'd have to pick and choose...would you rather have the starting off point BEFORE Generations (in which case you could include Shatner as Kirk traveling back in time), or the more reasonable scenario (and I realize that "reasonable" is a stretch here) of starting off AFTER Nemesis?

Now that I've read Countdown and know what will happen in the film, Shatner would have felt very, very forced...Spock was the best choice for any time-traveling character from TOS (at least anyone that anyone would care to see)