World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Hang on, Spock Prime is TRAPPED in the new universe at the end of the film?!!! :eek:

2. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

TRAPPED! Oh the humanity!

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, is that true. They got me back. I wouldn't have given a fig about any other form of Trek. Jendresen's project? More from Berman? A 25th century Trek? Uh, uh. No thanks.
    Kirk, Spock, and McCoy? That's had my interest since day one. We haven't seen them in over a decade. We haven't seen them in their youth in decades.
    And, after seeing the clips that are out there now, it's possible the only thing that could make this movie better is if an announcer started it by saying, "The following is in living color...," and if Balok's puppet's face graced the final shot of the end credits.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

If Orci is trying to be true to the theory of time travel he seemed to be explaining, that's probably so. He can go forward into the new timeline, but can't return to his own if he's living in and affecting the new timeline he was thrown into. It make my head swim, but that's how I read it.

Of course, we've seen Trek characters go back and forth between universes before, so who knows? I'm just saying that may not fit into how Orci wrote it or how he understands time travel.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely Right(TM).

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep.

I never heard a thing about the Jendresen project that sounded like something anyone with any sense would invest a penny in. Of course, the script came out of already-allocated development money. :lol:

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

It's gonna be mighty freaky with two Spocks in the same time period.

8. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The reason Spock Prime is frakked and stuck is because he never "fixed" the key temporal disruption that created this new universe. He never "closed the loop" so to speak.

In theory, he could still effect repairs by going back in time to when the Nerada first appeared and destroying it before it made any meaningful changes in the timeline.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been reading Spider-Man comics for thirty two years. Is that "old school" enough for you?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Generalizations are always dangerous, aren't they? I've seen so many posts in so many forums that start out "long-time Trek fans feel that..." and that's always a knee-slapper - like saying "the weather forecast for America tomorrow is rain."

11. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

I thought - from what I've heard and read - that Spock cannot return into his own era/timeline/universe because his journey back in time was not a planned or voluntary one...

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Holy crap the nerds were right!!!!

I went and checked my season 2 box set and Amok Time and Journey to Babel are GONE. They no longer exist. Because of Abrams movie.

Now I can't watch those episodes ever again. And the millions of new fans will never be able to see those classic episodes.

I am now going back to see if other episodes have been removed from this space-time continuum.

i never expected this!

13. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

In your opinion.

There is nothing wrong with the Roddenberry universe as a setting. it just needs good writers not shackled by overbearing studio suits like Berman.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

:lol: :techman:

15. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

And now we have it with JJ's new film.

Case Closed.

16. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Maybe he can go back just enough to prevent Nero from totally blowing Vulcan away, and save Amanda :)

Is it true that after Nero's been taken care of, he decides to stick around and help salvage things? Boy, I hope he doesn't do something like say to Kirk "Oh, and if you should ever come across a DY-100 class sleeper ship from the late twentieth century called Botany Bay floating around, tow it straight to the nearest starbase and have its occupants locked away."

One thing I'd be happy about would be if Generations doesn't happen in this new reality! Or if it does, maybe Lursa and B'Etor survive, and Kirk has a much better death scene.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

So you couldn't enjoy the first Batman movie because Michael Keaton wasn't the same Batman as Adam West? Because it ignored decades of comic book history and started over when it should have been forced to shoehorn itself into the comic book continuity?

Don't ever watch the James Bond movies. Your head will explode.

18. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

Ok, no more Vulcan in the 23rd century. Which means no Tuvok for the 24th century. Which means no Voyager..........:D:techman:

19. Admiral Buzzkill

What, you think maybe they'd fuck him to death? :lol:

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I guess it all comes down to why you watch Star Trek. I've been watching ST since before TNG or any spinoffs existed because of the characters, the story, the optimism. I couldn't care less if an obscure line from episode 42 is contradicted in the movie. If you're more hung up on those elements than on whether or not we're getting a good SF story (and the jury's still out on that for me until I see the film) then you've kind of missed the point of Star Trek.

Star Trek should be organic and adaptable for new generations to enjoy. The core of the show, the optimism and the character dynamics, should remain the same. Everything else can be altered to make it fresh for an audience who knows that WWIII didn't happen in the 1990s and that our tech is already more advanced that Trek's 1960s version of our future.

How nonsensical would it be the editors of Asimov's and Analog insisted that every SF story submitted had to remain consistent with the classic SF stories written in the 1920s and 30s and not contradict them in any way. You'd have a lot of stories about humanoids on Mars, a wet swampy Venus, tiny solar systems made of atoms and electrons -- in short, you'd have SF that wasn't relevent in any way to our modern world. And SF that isn't relevent for today isn't relevent at all.

Star Trek has to stay relevent. As a decades long fan, I welcome a fresh start.