Winnie the Pooh - Honey and Blood

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by marillion, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it still refers to tea in particular rather than type, which is why it's not a very good descriptor. I find many North American places make that mistake. But for simplicity sake, calling it Chai Tea is probably easiest for marketing purposes.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, in the US when you say chai tea, you are not asking for a generic black tea... You are asking for a tea with some particular spices. I know that in India it just means tea.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I try not to let it bother me. In the context of an English-language menu in North America catering to a public who may not have seen the word "chai" until they went to the place, it is used for a specific type of tea, not to tea in general.

Word meanings get jumbled up all the time when borrowed into other languages. Take the Italian-American menu item "Shrimp scampi," for example. Strictly speaking, in Italian the noun "scampi" is plural for "scampo" which refers to the Norway lobster aka Dublin Bay prawn. But when you see "shrimp scampi" or "scampi shrimp" on a menu in the US, "scampi" is a descriptive adjective for the cooking method involving garlic butter, white wine, and parmesan cheese (which may or may not be authentic Parmigiano Reggiano, but that's another topic for discussion in itself). And the type of shrimp/prawn typically isn't proper scampi! And then you have stuff like "chicken scampi" which has no shellfish whatsoever but uses the same preparation.

But I almost forgot... this is supposed to be about that Winnie the Pooh movie. I think the concept is clever, but from the trailer it looks a little too cheap.

Kor

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

There is a difference between a Vienna Schnitzel (Wiener Schnitzel) and a Schnitzel Vienna-style (Schnitzel Wiener Art). The former is the original, a breaded schnitzel of veal, while the Schnitzel Vienna-style is the common German variant substituting the veal with pork.

And I whole-heartedly support the shift in this thread from talking about a trailer that doesn't even deserve to talk about, towards linguistics and food.

Kor and Morpheus 02 like this.
  5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I never realized that you say Rio Grande River--that is pretty funny. My funny Spanglishism is when people say "salsa sauce" when what they really mean is some version of a Mexican style sauce.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sometimes it doesn't even have to cross languages. People in America (no knowledge of how other countries refer to them) refer to "ATM machines", when the "M" in "ATM" literally stands for "machine". "Automated teller machine machine"?

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doctor Who did a joke about that with the ATMOS devices, with the inventor getting pissed off at everyone who called them "ATMOS Systems" since the S in ATMOS meant System anyway.

Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

9. Owain Taggart

Exactly, which is why I find the choice of distinction amusing, because if you look at the translation it doesn't really refer to anything spicy, but rather the 'tea' in itself. They're essentially doubling up on the word. Might as well refer it to Indian Spice Tea for North American marketing purposes, because as you point out Chai Tea just refers to the tea itself. That's what I was originally getting at.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another fun example of the redundant names is a either hill or mountain here in AZ called Table Mesa, mesa means table in Spainish, so it translates to Table Table.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the UK there are several "River(s) Avon," and "Avon" just means "river" in the old Brittonic languages. Similarly, there are various rivers in North America that are known as "_______ River," with the first word being the indigenous word for "river" in the Native American language of the region.

Kor

marillion likes this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is now hopelessly off topic lol

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Doesn't German give the term "outstanding" a very negative connotation? A Dutch boss I once had used the term "out of sight" when we really aggravated him.

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The German word for "outstanding" is "herrausragend", and both in meaning and in literal translation, they are pretty close, no negative connotation. Though, a truly literal translation to "outstanding" would be "außen stehen", which can have a negative connotation meaning "not being part of the crowd".

Not familiar with "out of sight" as any kind of emotional phrase.

15. Owain Taggart

Probably more entertaining than the movie :D

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Out of sight (outta sight) was, at least, a hippie term for "cool". But the way the boss used it was another thing.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn’t need to wait until things go into public domain as evidenced by WB’s “Banana Splits by way of Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie. Or, for that matter, Marvel Zombies

18. Moist_Cake

Moist_Cake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know some will like it, but I'm not going to watch it. I have fond memories of Pooh and company as a kid.

19. Owain Taggart

Or even the Fantasy Island horror movie. It's like there's a growing trend of turning harmless family oriented properties or children's entertainment into horror, and I have to think it's done for shock value. There's nothing wrong with making new versions, but when they're so far off the beaten path, it kind of makes you wonder. The market for these must be very narrow.

the G-man likes this.
  20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting for my Noseybonk horror movie.