Windows XP Gaming Problems with Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by The DOS Machine, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

Oh, that's easy... the QT files generally are all labeled with a *.MOV suffix. The movies, the "VR" files... anything that consists of multiple frames or which can be navigated. I've browsed through most of the QT files directly at one time or another. Unless Captain's Chair is different (I can't recall for certain right now, though I'm messing with those now... my new machine is an NForce machine, so I can't have it dual-boot into 98... meaning that I'm doing all the VirtualPC stuff myself right now... but as I was saying, unless they used a "hiding" trick on that specific CD that they used on nothing else, it should be easy to check out the MOV files.

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right. This looks like they're all CXT and DXR files. The only MOV files are the SS logos.

3. Cary L. Brown

Yep... MOV files (and some audio AIF files) are all there, unencrypted. If you have any media player (ideally Quicktime) set up to play those formats, you're good.

4. Cary L. Brown

Search the whole disk... trust me, there are a LOT of MOV files throughout the disk.

If you can't see 'em... two possibilities. Either you have a bogus disk, or you've somehow got QT-type files marked as "hidden" in your OS?

I, by default, make sure that nothing is "hidden" and that all file suffixes are visible. I don't like my OS hiding things from me. ;)

The only other option is that you're just not looking closely enough? Did you do a search on the disk for all files with the *.MOV suffix? Or the *.AIF suffix?

Trust me, I just went through my own disk and it's just FULL of these, and I looked through several. In fact, I discovered (much to my surprise) that there seems to be a "secret" on the disk... a Klingon bridge as well as the Starfleet ones we know about!

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Found 'em - they were in a hidden directory. Thanks for the help!

6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone having trouble with A FInal Unity on XP should follow these instructions. DosBox didn't work for me, but this was a doddle. After a decade, I can finally remember how good this game is!

7. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

My quest for several months now is to build a computer (or acquire an old one) that I can use exclusively to play Trek Games from the mid-90's to the end of the decade. I've been able to procure 2 good candidates: An HP w/a Celeron 1.8 and a Compaq w/a PIII.

The PIII came w/Win2000 already installed and the last user didn't understand the concept of spyware/virus protection so the box was a mess an no matter what I did to repair it, I was left with an IE problem that I couldn't fix no matter what. Cutting to the chase, I'm blowing out the hard drive on this thing and I was going to reinstall Win2000.

From what I've been reading it would appear that installing Win98 for old trek games is the way to go, is that correct.

Second, do I ant to keep the file system as FAT or can I maike it NTFS?

Third, if it is better for me to have Win98 how the crap am I going to get updates for it as MS is no longer supporting? Since I'm only using it for the games is it necessary that I get updates?

And, does that QT problem affest Win98 computers?

-Shawn :borg:

8. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

DosBox does Windows 3.1 now, just so folks here know.....

Of course you must have the original Win 3.1 disks in order to install Win 3.1 under DosBox, if you don't have your 3.1 disks, well, why did you toss them away ?

I still have mine after all.

Having Win 3.1 under DosBox will make it easier to run things like Star Trek Klingon and other old Windows games that tend to not like XP and refuse to run under compatibility mode no matter what you do.

If you have any questions about certain games and if they'll run under Win 3.1 under DosBox ask me, if I have the game I'll install it myself and see if said game runs at all.

I can also give folks a step by step guide for installing Win 3.1 under DosBox without screwing up your current Windows settings and stuff like that there.

One can also just go to the DosBox forums for this info as well if they don't feel like waiting for me to post the steps here ;)

- W -
    * Win 3.1 Guy *

9. ET1_Southy

ET1_Southy Cadet Newbie

ST: TNG: A Final Unity

I have tried this method and it works...sorta. The install file would freeze up in Win98. Had to boot the computer with Win98 disc to enable CD-ROM support in DOS. Then I installed the game through DOS. Went back to Windows and did all the right click stuff for the STTNG.exe file. The game loaded, however would not play video scenes or sounds.

I do have a different question regarding this game. I have it working nearly perfectly in separate DOS system...but there is no sound. I know my sound drivers are working b/c I verified sound with a diagnostic program in DOS. Final Unity sound card setup menu will not auto-detect my sound card. Sound daig program tells me that my Soundblaster 16 PnP ISA card has the following characteristics:

Base I/O Address 220
    MIDI Port Address 330
    IRQ 5
    Low DMA Setting 1
    High DMA Setting 5

I have tried this setup scheme in the game's sound card setup menu (tried both DMA at 1 and 5 since there is only one DMA setting) to no avail. Any ideas?

10. KaBlooie

KaBlooie Cadet Newbie

I am experiencing a HUGE problem with installing Klingon Academy on XP. The game wont initiate setup, not when autoplay runs and I click on the appropriate button, or when I go into the disk and double-click setup.

When I go into Task Manager to see if the process is even there, I do find it, setup.exe. Sometimes if I've tried many things there are more than one setup.exe processes running.

Does ANYONE have a solution, please

11. BlackCello

BlackCello Cadet Newbie

I have managed to get Generations to run on my PC running Windows XP. I initially ran into the same trouble you mentioned regarding the game crashing as soon as you started an away mission, HOWEVER I have found a solution -- an absolutely ridiculous solution that you won't believe, but a solution nonetheless.

I know this sounds crazy, but stay with me on this...As soon as you click "Transport" and you hear Picard say "Commander Riker to the Transporter Room" begin RIGHT CLICKING YOUR MOUSE LIKE CRAZY. I don't know why, but as long as you do that the game won't crash and the Briefing Screen for the Away mission will appear (I believe you can acheive this by left clicking too, but I prefer Right clicking so as not to accidentally hit the "Proceed" button before having read the objectives). Make sure you remember to do this before every single away mission, and start doing it well before the actual loading begins (I do it as SOON as Picard starts speaking).

I'm curious if this solution works for anyone else...if it does, does anyone have any idea why? Something about keeping the game "busy" so it doesn't have time to crash??? No idea here.

Haha, you might wonder how exactly I stumbled upon this fix. It was nothing more than pure frustration -- I began clicking wildly out of anger and it just happened to work. Ever seen the movie Back to the Future? Remember the scene near the end where Marty can't get the car to start so he just slams his head against the wheel and -- presto -- it starts? It was a lot like that...my reaction of complete disbelief was just like in the movie too. :-)

I sure hope this helps you. One problem I have is that despite this solution, the game still refuses to play cutscenes...do they work for you? At least it's possible to watch them directly from the CD by opening the files with Media Player...

I realize this reply is about a year after you started discussing it...hope someone sees it someday.

12. BlackCello

BlackCello Cadet Newbie

I realize this reply is about a year after you started discussing it...hope someone sees it someday.

I have managed to get Generations to run on my PC running Windows XP. I initially ran into the same trouble you mentioned regarding the game crashing as soon as you started an away mission, HOWEVER I have found a solution -- an absolutely ridiculous solution that you won't believe, but a solution nonetheless.

I know this sounds crazy, but stay with me on this...As soon as you click "Transport" and you hear Picard say "Commander Riker to the Transporter Room" begin RIGHT CLICKING YOUR MOUSE LIKE CRAZY. I don't know why, but as long as you do that the game won't crash and the Briefing Screen for the Away mission will appear (I believe you can acheive this by left clicking too, but I prefer Right clicking so as not to accidentally hit the "Proceed" button before having read the objectives). Make sure you remember to do this before every single away mission, and start doing it well before the actual loading begins (I do it as SOON as Picard starts speaking).

I'm curious if this solution works for anyone else...if it does, does anyone have any idea why? Something about keeping the game "busy" so it doesn't have time to crash??? No idea here.

I sure hope this helps you. One problem I have is that despite this solution, the game still refuses to play cutscenes...do they work for you? At least it's possible to watch them directly from the CD by opening the files with Media Player...

Haha, you might wonder how exactly I stumbled upon this fix. It was nothing more than pure frustration -- I began clicking wildly out of anger and it just happened to work. Ever seen the movie Back to the Future? Remember the scene near the end where Marty can't get the car to start so he just slams his head against the wheel and -- presto -- it starts? It was a lot like that...my reaction of complete disbelief was just like in the movie too. :wtf:

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

So is it time for a VISTA thread?

14. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I recently got to play Final Unity for the first time under XP. The audio quality was a bit dodgy but it works. That was a bunch of fun.
    Final Unity, 25th and Judgement Rites - with the extensive cast audio, any of those would make good candidates for fan remakes.

15. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Could be!! If any Vista issue arise, I shall create a new one. I'm open to a poster creating one and I will make it sticky.

16. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Here is a solution for installing Hidden Evil on XP. If the InstallShield program keeps bugging out and not installing the game:
    don't use the AutoRun to install the game
    open the CD and run "Setup" in Win98 Compatability mode (by right-clicking on Setup/Properties)

17. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone got Away Team running under XP? I get a starfield screen when I load up the game, and it never moves beyond that. I can't even get back to the desktop, which is extremely annoying. None of the compatibiloity modes made any difference.

18. Korczynski

Korczynski Captain Captain

I've just reinstalled STTNG:BOTF on my Windows XP 64 PC, run the 1.02 patch and had the crash to desktop after the splash screen. Quick fix was to create a shortcut to Trek.exe and run the application in Windows XP mode.

This may work for Vista 64-bit users as well.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Found my old version of Dominion Wars...

Is there anyway to get it to work on XP, it just keeps on crashing for me and I get this error message when I try to rin it in compatiable mode plus it won't pathc up either

:( really want to play it again.

20. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

^ I can't get it to run either. There's a few tricks around (changing screen resolution, compatibility mode, etc), but none have worked for me.