William Wear Theiss: In & Out of Uniform

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I just noticed Bob Justman sitting on the far side of the couch.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got him, but is that David Gerrold or Rick Berman in the middle? (taking a guess based on apparent age)

And - just watched that opening to Things to Come: very affecting! I think I'll watch the whole thing. Thanks.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

L to R: model, model, Roddenberry, Berman, Justman, Theiss.

4. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Why is there a giant iPhone on the wall?

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The flying helmet OTOH, much less influential.

cabal_helmet.png

Looking closer, it appears he has similar shorts, but the upper tunic or whatever you want to call it is long and covers them up.

passworthy_costume.png

Qonundrum and CorporalCaptain like this.
  6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ha! Seriously.

Yeah, I agree that's a possibility. It would be completely unsurprising to me, if that were the case, because it would be as if he had elected to wear the outer tunic "closed," instead of "open" the way most of the others do.

Thank you for posting the pic.

Still, it gives the idea of what a male dress looks like, and to me it looks totally fine. There's nothing funny about it. (YMMV.)

J.T.B. likes this.
  7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aside from the historical value, is the movie any good? I can handle old things, so y'know. . .

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Raymond Massey looks as if he's wearing a giant radio vacuum tube on his head.

It's mainly of interest to film and sci-fi geeks. The good: The special effects are quite impressive for the time when it was made, and it has a great music score by Arthur Bliss. The bad: It's ponderous, talky and overblown. The characters don't have dialogue; they make speeches. But they do it with such impeccable BBC accents! (Even Canadian-born Raymond Massey used an RP accent so he wouldn't stick out like a sore Canadian.)

J.T.B. likes this.
  9. Maurice

Or it's a "skort", which Grace Lee said her mini was, but Andrea Weaver (women's wardrobe on seasons 2&3 of TOS) said was just a mini w/standard dancer's briefs underneath.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much just historical value, I agree with scotpens. It's also the earliest movie I know of to use a post-apocalyptic setting with regressed technology.

11. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reminds me of this
    [​IMG]

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

ROTFL. I thought it was a gigantic hallucinogen in elongated pill form mistaken as a cold remedy. It's just an art deco mirror left over from 1977...

Indysolo likes this.
  13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like a kilt, only without the patterning or sporran (with all the anti-cold remedy pills and other special items stored within)...

14. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Sir Ralph Richardson as an evil warlord, trying desperately to keep his subjects from getting the advanced tech Raymond Massey and his crew offered them.

15. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Theiss' work was imaginative and should always be seen correctly. I think the Abrams' films, Star Trek and Into Darkness, were loyal to his designs and showed respect of his contributions to Star Trek. I think future designers should research Theiss' work so his inspiration can live on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryan Thomas Riddle and Henoch like this.
  16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One good thing about the TOS uniform is the tunic's realistic simplicity for spacemen. You could wear it aboard the International Space Station, no problem.

By contrast, I remember an episode of Voyager where Janeway has to change clothes to gear up for some kind of battle, and she takes off the tunic, then a vest under it, then another layer, and so on. It was a preposterously layered and complicated uniform, totally impractical for indoor wear. And in fact it was obvious they created all these layers just for this episode, so the costume alone would add detail and stretch out the scene.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  17. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Some fans have been calling for men in skirts, this should be the new Starfleet uniform. I can already see Shatner in it.

18. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Kirk-Fu in a skirt:

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  19. Maurice

And that pilot apparently cost waaaaay more than Star Trek's first pilot, like maybe again by half.

Henoch likes this.
  20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that Adam West at the end?