Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think it depends on the type of strategy. Turn-based, you can actually do quite well on a console. XCOM is proof of that. RTS does not go well on a console because one of the key mechanics--dragging a box to select units--is difficult (if not impossible) to translate to a gamepad.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on the type of strategy game. Sure, 4X and RTS games are a poor fit for console controllers, but SRPGs dominate on consoles. Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Advance Wars, and Final Fantasy Tactics are brilliant. You don't have those types of games on the PC. Yes, yes, the PC has Jagged Alliance and King's Bounty, but that's about it.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, definitely. Can't argue there. Forgot to mention I was talking more in terms of RTS games. I've played X-Com on the PS3, and that's great there. I'd even argue that 4X games are doable since they're turn-based.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That's a challenge Valve is working on right now with their new Steam controller. Looking forward to getting my hand on one.

I'm sceptical if I'll ever be ready for a deep RTS without mouse and keyboard controls, but then again, I felt the same about FPSs back when I was an avid CS, UT and Quake guy. Over a decade later, I play most of my FPSs on a couch ;)

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

The Banner Saga is another recent release on PC that is like those games...

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've played most of them but notice something about your list?

Only a tiny handful are current titles, most of them have a couple of years under their belt.

Now that doesn't invalidate them at all.. a good game is a good game no matter how outdated its technology is but i'm talking about the frequency of good strategy games and that golden era in the 90s and early 00s is gone i'm afraid. Now only a handful of new strategy games are released each year and maybe one or two have it in them to be called great.

7. Robert Maxwell

I don't know, that sounds like selective memory to me. In any given year in the late '90s and early '00s you'd still only have a small number of good strategy titles coming out. At worst, the number's stayed about the same, though I'd say it's actually gone up.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Ordered a PS4 yesterday plus Madden 25.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

There is no option for people who owned multiple last generation consoles (I have all three).

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Banner Saga is a wonderfully presented proof of concept. The battle system is too simple to be interesting, the choices are too limiting for multiple play-throughs to add much to the experience and worst of all, the story (presumably the backbone of a game like this) was clearly rushed to an end with a chapter being left out and an act break standing in for a climax.

I say this in warning and to keep hopes down, the hype convinced me to buy a game on release day for the first time in years and it really wasn't worth it. Though, I am still very interested in what they are able to achieve with a sequel.

11. FPAlpha

Just checked Amazon Germany.. still no freely available PS4s apart from secondary vendors who sell some for over 500 Euro via Amazon whereas there's readily available Xbox One consoles :lol:

The only thing that's bothering me is the lacklustre game lineup for the PS4, a couple of shooters and some other games that are not really must haves in my opinion. No breakout game yet and it'll take 1-2 months before they arrive (Infamous Second Son and Watchdogs for example).

The true big games i'm interested in won't probably arrive till fall like Destiny or Dragon Age.

12. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, same here in Holland...
    12 week wait for the PS4...
    For the XBox One Dutch sites say either available in 2014 or avaiable 31-12-2014...
    Hardly any pre-orders for the XBox One at the local stores either, but any PS4 they get in is pre-ordered...

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Robert Maxwell

Hey, the Wii U's outselling the 360 now!

Also, damn, the PS4 is stomping the shit out of the Xbone!

15. Hopeful Cynic

Hopeful Cynic Ensign Red Shirt

I have a One. I'm looking forwards to Titanfall while ps4 owners are looking forwards to... Yeah.:lol::evil:

16. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I only upgraded from my PS2 last year, having finally completed , gotten as far as I could or just stopped playing because I wasn't enjoying with my catalogue of games. I got a 360, it lasted less than 2 months. Not for the reason many might suspect, I just couldn't get on with the controller, it never fitted my hand well and gave my hand cramps and so, it got traded in for a PS3.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, that's the reason it took me so long to get a PS3 (the controller gave me hand cramps, so I had to wait until some third party came out with one shaped just like an Xbox controller) .:guffaw:

18. Robert Maxwell

I actually like the 360 controller quite a bit. I don't have a 360 but I have a controller for my PC. :lol:

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those numbers look really bad for MS, but keep in mind that both of them are down from +900K in December, and the Xbox One had a slight lead that month. Still, it's not a good sign that they're trailing in the US, even by a little bit, as that means they're probably getting whomped in the rest of the world.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have no interest in Titanfall and am far more intrigued by Infamous: Second Son. But if I was interested in Titanfall, I'd just pick it up for the 360.

20. FPAlpha

Great, enjoy it. Looks like a good game.

And your point was what exactly?