Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And that's just it, though. In a perfect world, everyone would enunciate perfectly, but this is a system that's been touted as being able to understand natural speech. Anything else is just awkward and kind of defeats the purpose of its usefulness.

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You just described google and everything else people use on the internet.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting people to stop slurring their words and to speak and enunciate properly is a bad thing now?

What I'm reading is "Using the program properly defeats the purpose of having it" which is kind of a strange stance to take.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinect (supposedly) is way more powerful than a tracking cookie. Google can tell if I watch a video on Youtube, but they can't tell if I laughed or cried while watching it. They might be able to tell that I'm reading a Wikipedia article about butterflies, but they can't tell that I'm drinking a bottle of vodka and snorting cocaine while doing it. They might be able to tell that I watched The Wire, but they don't know that my eyes were eerily transfixed on Omar's penis that one time.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't put it past them. This is bloody Microsoft we're talking about here.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Anytime you force people to adapt to you it will fail, especially when you're dealing with the broad massess. People expect to use technology without changing their habits and if yout technology can't adapt you are wide open for failure.

In most videos i've seen voice commands only worked about 50% of the time, sometimes higher and that is just unacceptable for consumer electronics and if this keeps up i don't see people using the feature too much as cool as it may be.

It is an ambitious project but just too soon but i also guess MS wants to keep to their roadplan at all costs and distinguish itself from Sony as much as they can. I believe their strategy is a sound one when they aim to provide a combined media center but their execution is sorely lacking.

If competitors are developing similar technologies (I'm looking at you Apple) but take their time to do it right MS might lose out again even if they were the first to try it.. again.

8. Owain Taggart

Nope, never said that. I'm all for enunciating properly, in fact I get very frustrated when actors end up mumbling their words throughout a movie, and when turning up the volume won't help due to bad audio.

Point is, most people don't enunciate properly in the first place. I think what a lot of people look for in a system like this is being able to just use a normal every day conversational tone. And this isn't a knock on MS, but I don't think we're quite there yet, in terms of voice recognition in general. We're not up to the level of having something accepting commands in a similar way to HAL. Not speaking about any response back, mind you, but just being able to accept commands using an everyday conversational tone. Having to speak up for a machine is just simply an unnatural concept for many people, and until that happens, I don't think a system such as MS has with the Kinect will have very widespread appeal or success. It's certainly possible though, that over the course of the life of the console, that they'll find ways to improve it as voice recognition technologies improve. There are a lot of variables to consider though in a system like that, such as room size, ambient noise, accents, and the volume at which someone is speaking at, and I think that's a large margin for error right there, and why a lot of people may have trouble with it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Voice dialing has been with us for years and yet hardly anybody uses it for the same reasons...
    It's also faster to find the contact in your contactlist and press dial...

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, one problem with voice dialing is you need to press a button to activate. If I could address my phone while it's sitting in my pocket or on my desk and initiate the call with a voice command while reaching for it, that might actually be sort of useful.

The Xbox voice recognition, for all its hype... totally sucks. It messes up channel names. Even though it has context to go on. It literally is incapable of switching to Fox Sports 2 by voice command. It always goes to Fox Sports 1. It messes up lots of other channel names too. But at least with other stuff I've found that if I go into hyper-enunciate mode I can usually get it to work.

But, compared to my almost 4 year old Android phone.... it's nowhere near as good. If I click the voice thing on the touch keyboard... with no context, it figures out "Xbox watch fox sports two" with no problem. I don't even have to go into hyper-enunciation mode, though I do make some effort to sound clear. Granted, I'm pretty sure the google voice recognition is done server-side... but it just plain works better than the supposed wunderdevice Kinect 2.0.

11. Owain Taggart

Interesting. Given how hyped it is, It seems like it wasn't thought all the way through. I think I can start to understand the reason for the delays in launching the feature in other countries, given the different channels it would have to handle. It just doesn't sound ready. And I wonder how much trouble it would have with similar sounding channels.

12. Owain Taggart

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Owain Taggart

And admittedly, it's quite clever. He doesn't really have to do much other than sign in, just stand there and watch the chaos unfold. I don't think he was so much a jerk, as someone trying to see what would happen. This kind of helps Microsoft in the end, in finding areas to improve upon.

If I were them, I'd make any voice commands unable to be used as gamertags. Shouldn't be too hard to protect those as system functions.

15. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Both for me. I usually buy every system that comes out. This will be no different. Got the Wii U already and just bought the XBOX One on Monday when Best Buy had some available. Will likely buy the PS4 later this year at some point.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm having a really hard time justifying the purchase of any new system right now. I know that I want a PS4; Sony's exclusive games are the main reason I have become a Playstation person. XBOX games are of no interest to me.

My problem is that my PS3 still works perfectly fine! I've had it for almost 6 years. It's still the old fat model, and it runs just as well as it did when I took it out of the box. If I buy a PS4, I know I probably won't have any reason to use my PS3 again (I don't usually go back and replay too many games once I've beaten them).

So...I don't know what to do. I really want to buy it for the new "Infamous: Second Son." I almost wish my PS3 was crapping out on me so I could be more excited about replacing it.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just keep on playing your PS3 until they run out of games that interest you, then buy the PS4 in a couple years when it's cheaper and Infamous: Second Son is $20 (or free on PS Plus).

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's the problem. I've already played all the PS3 games that interest me. My PS3 is basically just a Netflix machine right now.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then I'd say buy it.

Then again, I have both PS4 and Xbox One. I may not be a good person to ask ;)

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Gah! I used to be so much more impulsive about buying things. This would have been such an easy choice before I became financially responsible. :lol: