Why was Worf the only viable donor to save the Romulan when Dr Selar was also on the Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FederationHistorian, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I agree with you on the one line at a time threads which seem pointless to me. The appeal is perplexing. As far as "how though?" I see plenty of threads on this board that don't engage in silly speculations and theories. We can move away from this sort of thing. It can be done but people have to want to do it. It's pretty clear that many here don't want to do that.

2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tell that to a Horta or Phylosian or Q or Sheliac or Excalbian or Farpoint Entity or...

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...It's a great pickup line, yes.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the Romulan had some sort of rare genotype that the individual Vulcans on board were incompatible with. IDK, it's not like the writers understood evolution.

Now Worf - perhaps his compatibility stems from genetic changes in Klingons due to the augment virus and/or the eventual cure. They may have had to adjust some molecular compatibilities to produce the desired changes, particularly if non-Klingon DNA was used in the cure. Hell, maybe the Romulans built the cure and based parts of it on Romulan biology. That would be a DAMN good reason "they do not speak of it with outsiders" - if Klingons in fact possess Romulan genes now. We know tech exchanges between Romulus and the Klingon Empire were occurring right about the time the augment virus was reversed in the 23rd century.

5. Legate Duhmar

Legate Duhmar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was a heavy handed metaphor for race relations in America and how when the chips are down, racial details become insignificant so why shouldn't we treat people more as individual equals than racial cutouts. Yes its over the top but a really good message nonetheless.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, it was because Romulans were directly responsible for killing Worf’s family. Don’t read into things that aren’t really there.