Why was everyone so...greasy back then?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Sisko_is_my_captain, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had absolutely no memory of the name of the product, just the slogan.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arthur Fonzarelli (yes I know - totally different Universe) would disagree...;)

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And the play/movie was named "Grease" for a reason...

Noname Given likes this.
  5. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The seventies was the time of the 'dry look'.

publiusr likes this.
  6. SailorRuss

SailorRuss Ensign Newbie

Part of it, besides the lighting and perhaps a healthy looking late 60s vibe was that not all, but a lot of that cast drank. Figure you're on a diet to fit into those nearly skin tight uniforms and you're still going out to party... I've felt a bit greasy myself at times.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  7. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last half. And glad I was to have it. Never did use the sprays.

There was the time my Father tried to brush his teeth with brylcreem. Dad, wear you glasses. Sooo, I have it on good authority that the stuff tastes terrible.

8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blimey he must have had a skinfull the night before!!! :D
    JB

9. tesral

Never drank, he didn't have his glasses on. Like me blind as a bat without same. SO, entirely his fault and totally avoidable. Ergo funny as Hell.

"ARRRGGGH! Pitui" -- My Father.

10. johnnybear

Bet it tasted a bit greeeezzzeeyyyy! :crazy:
    JB

11. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's most noticeable on the bridge set. But looking at an episode such as The Immunity Syndrome, where even Scotty looked sweaty/shiny, you have to wonder if this was intended, as they were working their bo***cks off. Also, was air con as common as, say, when TNG was produced, where they specifically have an environmental control system?

12. tesral

I have been on a TV stage during filming and those lights will bake the snot out of you, they are HOT. Touching up makeup would be a constant thing as the actors sweat.

13. Maurice

The bridge was an oven. They had to run a separate AC to keep all the blinkenlights from adding to the stage lights and roasting everyone.

14. johnnybear

I was watching This Side of Paradise yesterday and noticed Shatner's hair in the scene where he and McCoy were in Sandoval's house and he was on the communicator! It was pretty weird. His normal hair had been combed into a thicker mop which left it all spiky at the side with a tinge of grey! The thicker hair was no doubt the toupee. It's weird how you notice these things on DVD instead of normal television and all the missing scenes that the BBC used to cut for time!
    JB

15. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if it was the James Cawley or Vic Mignogna series, but from one of them came word that they tried to do a shot of the fully enclosed bridge, and it started heating up like crazy in there, and they couldn't work with it. Perhaps making matters worse, the studio they were in would have had a lower ceiling than the enormous height of TOS's Stage 9.

Phaser Two and Methuselah Flint like this.
  16. Maurice

I think Cawley. I think STC has an 80% bridge, and Cawley's sets were in an old car dealership with preposterously low ceilings for a "soundstage".

JonnyQuest037 and ZapBrannigan like this.
  17. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I've been acting on stage with modern lighting, I've sweated enough. I can only imagine what that bridge set must have been like!

18. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

Why? Because grease is "the word .... It's got a groove, it's got a meaning. Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion..." :whistle:

Sorry, but the question made me break into song.

Anyway, when I think of greasiness on TOS, the Kangs come to mind. Even when I saw "Day of the Dove" on low def tv, I noticed that their greasiness was glaringly apparent.

[​IMG]

19. johnnybear

I swear you can almost see the ridges reforming on Pete Kellet's forehead!!!! If you stare hard enough! :lol: The third season Klingons (most of them anyway) all looked like that! The only two Klingon episodes with the whiter faced crews were Friday's child and The Trouble with Tribbles and that was supposed to be a mistake on the makeup front! :klingon:
    JB

20. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

I recall watching cast interviews from the early days of Doctor Who and they complained that their studio was so old-fashioned as to lack a proper lighting rig, instead relying on a host of separate bulbs that had to be individually switched on and off. It got so hot that occasionally filming would be interrupted by the whole thing catching fire and the set being evacuated.

Indeed, close-up shots from the first six seasons often show the actors drowning in their own sweat.