Why isn't Star Trek a big movie franchise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL! I remember that game. More fun then ST:Beyond.

2. a thousand-yard stare

a thousand-yard stare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Didn'
    Didn't "Red Dwarf" do that..?

3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

maybe that's what Beyond should been - more a celebration of everything TOS like a big screen version of the game. similar plot of the Ent vs the Doomsday Machine trying to stop it despite the klingons and encountering all sorts of TOS stuff along the way -cloud killer, gorns, romulans, tholians, duplicate Kirk, Garth, Losira, Charlie, balok, guardian etc all the iconic TOS stuff linked in a gigantic mash up. they put stuff like that in that 25th anniversary game (and others like it) to appeal to fans and everyone maybe that's what shudve happened for the 50th anniversary movie

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still don't know which "first film" you watched. College kids maybe but certainly not playing.

The business model would not have faltered if they wouldn't keep fumbling the marketing, and the timing. Attention spans are too short for them to do the 4 year gap.

Also, they'll do something new and different for 4 and there will be complaints about wanting it like "old Trek."

Which leads me to
    Having been a part of the Star Wars community much longer than the Trek one, I can attest to this fact. The arguments between both sides could be brutal, and the amount of mud slinging at Lucas himself still rings in Internet halls, with tales of songs and battles long ago.

Fandom is an interesting mix, and Star Trek is not unique in the rejection of something new. My dad, a TOS fan, has never seen anything except TOS, the TOS films and the Kelvin universe films. That is the Star Trek he enjoys.

You can head over to the Star Wars sub-forum to see the back and forth there about the Prequels It will continue on for a while as more people discover them from Rebels and Clone Wars. The main issue I see is a lack of empathy and pure emotion.
    Star Trek is not supposed to be fun.

5. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

What? Since when? Because TOS was certainly fun! Maybe not Lost-In-Space-fun or Star-Wars-fun, but fun nevertheless!

6. fireproof78

I have no idea, but that's what I keep hearing.

7. Pubert

Now that sounds cool!:cool:

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  8. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad idea for a 50th anniversary game either. Assuming they got a studio who could do a really good job of it and not just crank out some half-assed piece of shit knowing that Paramount is going to pay them for the work no matter what...

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Moichandising. Star Trek hasn't been exploited to remotely the same level as Star Wars, and as we all know, moichandising is where the real money from the movie is made.

Markonian and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Pubert

The star trek merchandising of the 70s was the best. The mego figures and playsets. The transporter one of th emost sought after toys from TOS Trek style toys.

Amaris likes this.
  11. fireproof78

It's also were the real fun was for being a younger fan. I can recall going from Payless, to K-mart and all around town and seeing such a different mix at different places. My friend had the TNG Bridge, shuttle and transporter room, which led to a lot of fun for us.

Amaris likes this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. Some of those Mego toys were nothing short of brilliant, because it was uncharted territory, and they were making it up on the fly. I think they did rather well, all things considered.

Yes! I still have my TNG transporter playset. I used to have the large light up Enterprise A, and Enterprise D. I had the large light up Deep Space Nine, too, but these are now long gone. They didn't outlast my childhood, which is fine by me in one aspect, because it means they were well loved and well used.

fireproof78 likes this.