Why Is "Into Darkness" So [imagine a different, more accurate past participle here]?

I am just always quite interested in where the line exists for "that's too magical" in a SF property that uses a lot of different magical things.

Same here. It'd be fun to do a personality test, like MBTI, and a quiz to get people to answer, and see what correlations - if any - exists. Until then, Futurama alluded to it best as the line is like the taste of Soylent Green as it varies from person to person...

The idea that it "cheapens the impact" is a nonstarter for me. I agree the script has plot holes. I agree that Khan was a poor choice. I think the space jump was dumb and the Scotty leaving the Enterprise only to return was equally dumb.

But, the idea of Kirk's sacrifice being cheapened is one I cannot begin to fathom. He goes from thinking he is above the fray, that the rules don't apply so long as he doesn't lose a crewmember, and cooks the book to support his ego. That at the end he has the same damn choice as his father, and chooses to sacrifice himself in the name of his crew, like Spock had done in the name of the Prime Directive, moves me every single time. Because it's Kirk's story, Kirk's choice and he doesn't know that McCoy will save him.

If he stays dead he will only know the ship was saved, but not the rest.

"Ain't it a bitch."

:weep:

Yeah, the twist where Kirk dies to save his crew was very strong indeed. The handling could have been better -- the "KHAN" scream role reversal really cheapens the event, not the event in of itself. The script appears as if it was going for the apparently epic thing that Spock is battling his unemotional and emotional sides. It doesn't quite work. And buying into the "kick the sensitive equipment back into position and it looks like it had to be sturdily built to handle space travel and this dude ain't big and green with muscles" didn't help either, especially as - after just the right kick - it merrily glides into place. Wouldn't it have been faster to pry out whatever was lodging between the gears? It doesn't look quite right.

It also looked almost like a Star Wars set.
(cue the trite wailing banshee musak, too - why not use "Yakkety Sax" instead? There's a fun YT video just waiting to meld those two...)

I'll admit, seeing the ship plummet through the atmosphere was well done, but the same "ignition at the last second" routine was already done in the 90s in Red Dwarf, just with BBC budget visuals and a more inventive plot ("Gunmen of the Apocalypse"). Seeing the Big-E rise out of the status clouds looked great (apart from a teal sky yet this is ostensibly planet Earth) but there's no substance at the core of the scene to really make the pretty of the event really stick.

The handling could have been better -- the "KHAN" scream role reversal really cheapens the event, not the event in of itself. The script appears as if it was going for the apparently epic thing that Spock is battling his unemotional and emotional sides. It doesn't quite work. And buying into the "kick the sensitive equipment back into position and it looks like it had to be sturdily built to handle space travel and this dude ain't big and green with muscles" didn't help either, especially as - after just the right kick - it merrily glides into place. Wouldn't it have been faster to pry out whatever was lodging between the gears? It doesn't look quite right.
I agree on the Khan scream, but that's two seconds of the film after a moving scene? Fuck that if I'm going to let 2 seconds ruin the feelings over my man Kirk sacrificing himself.

Spock is actually just as interesting because he becomes a reflection of Nero himself, just like Marcus is a reflection of Kirk, and the potential darkness that exists in both characters.

There can be two Delta Vegas.

There are a whole bunch of Springfields.

The bigger problem is Abrams thinks space is the size of like Rhode Island.

The bigger problem is Abrams thinks space is the size of like Rhode Island.

That's not just an Abrams' problem.

That's been a Star Trek problem for a while now.

"Small Universe" syndrome has been a regular feature of Star Trek since before the Federation or Starfleet received their first on-screen mentions.

(Though "space is the size of like Rhode Island" is clearly an exaggeration -- nothing is that small. Even the county I live in is larger than RI.)

- the "KHAN" scream role reversal really cheapens the event, not the event in of itself.
So, I decide to revisit this whole moment because it has been a minute and I was struck by a realization: Spock's "KHAN" yell, while again silly, is actually from a place of pure emotion. In TWOK, for all the praise heaped on Kirk's Khan yell it was a ruse. It was meant to make Khan think he had won, when Kirk already had plans in place. While important for the ruse, the pure raw hatred was not the same as Spock's in that moment, deprived of a relationship he would never know the depths of, or so he felt in the moment. As I stated in another post, Spock becomes like Nero, driven by a need for revenge.

Again, still a silly moment, but one that I have to rethink now.

So, I decide to revisit this whole moment because it has been a minute and I was struck by a realization: Spock's "KHAN" yell, while again silly, is actually from a place of pure emotion. In TWOK, for all the praise heaped on Kirk's Khan yell it was a ruse. It was meant to make Khan think he had won, when Kirk already had plans in place. While important for the ruse, the pure raw hatred was not the same as Spock's in that moment, deprived of a relationship he would never know the depths of, or so he felt in the moment. As I stated in another post, Spock becomes like Nero, driven by a need for revenge.

Again, still a silly moment, but one that I have to rethink now.
Spock’s Khan yell, in story, is more appropriate to its moment than Kirk’s. I’ve held that opinion since I first saw 09 on opening day. Subsequent viewings of each have only strengthened my view (and I’m rather fond of Ham Shatner).

Spock’s Khan yell, in story, is more appropriate to its moment than Kirk’s. I’ve held that opinion since I first saw 09 on opening day.
You've held the opinion that Spock's Khan yell is more appropriate than Kirk's since 2009?

I may have bought Spock's reaction easier if for a moment I thought Kirk was actually gonna stay dead. But this was movie # 2 in what was intended to be an ongoing series, so I spent most of the scene rolling my eyes at the blatant manipulation and was just counting the seconds until they revived him. But all I could think was "oh look, they're redoing the death scene from ST2 only flipping it." At least when Spock died in ST2, they were actually intending to kill the character forever.

Nothing about it moved me. Not the dialog, nor the performances, nor the music (which was the best part of this film). I don't hate the film, but the whole Khan thing and "Killing Kirk and bringing him back with the magic blood and forgetting that there ae 70+ people to grab magic blood from so why waste time while Spock chases Khan " thing cast a pall over it. Have the villain be someone other than Khan (or have it make sense with casting and story) and find some other way for Kirk to grow the hell up instead of the bait and switch that TOS wore out the third time they pulled that trick and this movie is great.

But everyone's mileage varies.

Magic blood? This ridiculous complaint again? :brickwall: Right now, today, in the early 21st century, my wife’s company is curing leukemia in otherwise terminal patients with umbilical cord blood sourced stem cells, in combination with the “secret sauce” (my term) they’ve developed to significantly enhance the efficacy of the stem cells. It’s in clinical trials and approaching the final phase before full approval by health agencies in multiple countries. It’s happening now. Today.

So, to review:
  • FTL warp drive? No problem
  • Transporters that nearly instantaneously convert people into energy streams and back again across thousands of kilometers? Check
  • Interspecies breeding with extraterrestrial life? Right as rain
  • But a medical procedure, set several centuries in the future, that has an actual real world precedent to point towards (several, actually)? Nope. Too crazy. Unacceptable. Outside the boundaries of imagination.
What a crock of shit. :rolleyes:

You just knew they were never going to mention the magic blood ever again.

Like Extremis. ( Yes, I know, but it took 10 years. )

At least when Spock died in ST2, they were actually intending to kill the character forever.
Yeah, that's why they conspicuously show the torpedo sitting on the Genesis planet at the end, because they were actually intending to kill the character forever.

So, to review:
  • FTL warp drive? No problem
  • Transporters that nearly instantaneously convert people into energy streams and back again across thousands of kilometers? Check
  • Interspecies breeding with extraterrestrial life? Right as rain
  • But a medical procedure, set several centuries in the future, that has an actual real world precedent to point towards (several, actually)? Nope. Too crazy. Unacceptable. Outside the boundaries of imagination.
It's amazing to me.

It's like the science in Star Trek actually doesn't matter.

"Magic blood" needs to be binned along with mispronounced names.

Back