Why Is "Into Darkness" So [imagine a different, more accurate past participle here]?

Bandicoot Cabbagepatch, did i get that right?
The insensitivity on display is bothersome.

I trust that no one ever gets your name wrong. How nice for you. I have not had the blessing in life.
Sure I can, I chose another path.
Guy, that's insulting.

Oh, it's excellent. It's one of my top three favorite Star Trek movies. But not everyone agrees it's The Best.
Oh, it's not the best. But, it's iconic and makes Khan the iconic villain. Like Moriarty.

The insensitivity on display is bothersome.

Calling someone "retarded" is insensitive. Cummerbund (thank you @M'Sharak) Bandersnatch is just a lame joke.

I trust that no one ever gets your name wrong. How nice for you. I have not had the blessing in life.

Happens to me all the time. I'm too old to get in a knot about it. The man who officiated at my wedding mispronounced my name. My dad was annoyed but I thought it was worth it for the look on his face captured forever on the video. My last name is mispronounced and misspelled all the time; "Mick" versus "Mac" - those damned Mc's when you're Scottish Canadian and not Irish. Confuses a lot of people. But insulting? My skin is much thicker than that. I've had friendly nicknames given to me that are far worse than Bandersnatch....

Guy, that's insulting.

What is? Choosing to spoof his name? Nah, it's not even a little. I'm sure the man is adult enough and rich enough not to care. There are a million things to get offended over, this shouldn't even make the list.

Now, the zillions of people who call Shatner "The Shat" ...that is something I actually do feel is kind of insulting considering the common usage of the word "shat."

If you meant my actual reply to you, well if you could have read it in the tone of voice I would have used in person, you wouldn't have been insulted at all. There was no offence intentionally directed at you.

There's an ignore option if things this minor truly bother you. Otherwise let's derail this thread no further.

So much of the film I've forgotten because once they revealed that Harrison was Khan, I just said "oh, this is TWOK," and I had already seen a better version of that film than this one was. In fact, I thought it was poor writing that they didn't come up with a new plot instead of rehashing the old one.

I have a feeling that that’s how a lot of people felt at that moment when they saw that.

I haven't seen the film in years, though. Maybe I would feel differently about it if I saw it again, today.

Maybe. I’ve re-evaluated it myself as simultaneously bot the strongest and weakest entry of the Kelvin films.

Finding the World's Whitest Man to play Khan Noonien Singh was a dumb move, and the reason they did it was even dumber.
del Toro wasn't available and they went with someone recognizable that they could afford?

Ridiculous! How dare they make business decisions about Star Trek.

They didn’t need to do Khan again.
Honestly, at this point TWOK has done more harm to the franchise than good. Holding it forever in the past by Khan as the villain that must be revisisted.

No, Khan wasn't needed.

They didn’t need to do Khan again.

No, Khan wasn't needed.
They didn't, and he wasn't. Orci & Kurtzman had considered the idea of teasing a Khan appearance at the end of the first film, but opted not to use it. Nevertheless, it was inevitable that they were going to do a Khan story anyway.

During writing for the second film, Orci & Kurtzman tried to find ways of telling the "exiled Augments / Supermen" story without the main adversary character being Khan. Cumberbatch didn't even know he was playing Khan until very late in the principal filming -- part of the reason for the "John Harrison" name. But Lindelof and the studio people overruled them -- because they knew TWoK had been the most popular of the first ten films and also because the studio people were very aware of the fact that nearly every publicity interview Abrams / Orci / Kurtzman did for the opening of the 2009 movie included a question from the interviewer along the lines of "So... you're going to do Khan next, right?"

There was just no way they weren't going to do it, because the studio smelled money.

del Toro wasn't available and they went with someone recognizable that they could afford?

Ridiculous! How dare they make business decisions about Star Trek.

Honestly, at this point TWOK has done more harm to the franchise than good. Holding it forever in the past by Khan as the villain that must be revisisted.

No, Khan wasn't needed.
Cumberbatch was the flavor of the month--look at all the things he was in around that time. Even he joked that as Sherlock went on, he got handsomer. I remember seeing him in To The Ends of the Earth, but I would never have expected to see him in the parts he got after that.

It's how Abrams thinks.

"It's the second movie, I gotta do Khan. They did Khan in the second movie back in the day, look how it worked out for them."
I remember reading an article shortly before Into Darkness came out which said something to the effect that the producers saw Christopher Nolan's Batman films as a good model for what they wanted to do with Star Trek.

That the first movie introduces the character(s) and the origins, and then the second movie centers on the heroes' biggest threat. The thinking being that Khan is to Captain Kirk what The Joker is to Batman; a fundamental element of the series and an arch-nemesis that defines the hero.

it's interesting that I had a similar experience with The Rise of Skywalker as I did Into Darkness; namely, waiting for the movie to get going. I don't know if it was expectations with both, but have you ever been at the theater and found yourself checking your watch when you're just not clicking with a film? You try to figure out how much time it's left itself to turn into a film you're engaged with.

And then, by about the 2/3 mark with around 35 - 45 minutes to go, it dawns on you: this is the movie. This is it.

That was my feeling with both films, though TROS was orders of magnitude worse than Into Darkness.

but have you ever been at the theater and found yourself checking your watch when you're just not clicking with a film? You try to figure out how much time it's left itself to turn into a film you're engaged with.
No.

If a film is that unengaging I've walked out.

Recent article to get us closer to back on topic about Star Trek Into Darkness being better than many remember.

My personal takeaway is that it reflects much of my attitude towards Into Darkness already. It's firmly in the middle of the road of Trek films, elevated by excellent character work and weaving in new ideas to past mythology.

The points for it seemed to basically be that she loved the casting of the crew from the first movie and thought the actors again had strong chemistry and it both made sense and was interesting for the sequel to 09 to echo/be heavily influenced by/kinda remake but with alterations events of TWoK with its hugeness both in-universe and in real universe.

I thought, after thinking the casting and characterizations and overall quality of 09 a mixed bag, the characterizations/character work in ID pretty much same or worse than 09 and a big disappointment to after 09 with all the possibilities of reboot to then just do Khan conflict again, not much new or good added.

And a whole lot else has yes been going to kind of redoing at least parts of previous installments or versions but I don't see how ID, though maybe one of the earlier instances, in retrospect is particularly different or better.

Back