Why Do All the Conversation Seem So Melodramatic

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Pubert, Apr 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

So this whole show why does it seem like whenever anyone has conversations they are emotional, flattering, complementing, misty eyed etc. The closest I can come to explaining it as everyone seems to have a proverbial continuous lump in their throat. It's hilarious really but also annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  2. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, not a soul.

3. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show wants to be deep but the writing isn't good enough to make it happen. But it does try.

Saumyajit, Crazyewok, JRoss and 3 others like this.
  5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes. Yes indeed. Every gods damn episode. Imagine having to work with that crew. You say or do something and somebody then gets upset or emotional. You ask someone if they want a Raktajino and they get misty eyed because their great grandfather's room mate got killed by a Klingon in a bar fight.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Welcome to four years ago.

SJGardner, Saul, jackoverfull and 4 others like this.
  7. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's especially odd from Burnham, who had a Vulcan upbringing after all.

You'd expect to see some traces of that, in restrained behavior. But apparently she decided to let all of that go. Completely.

Ragitsu, Saul and jackoverfull like this.
  8. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Characters in a drama speak dramatically…

*sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped for reasons to dislike Discovery*

9. Pubert

This season was different. Its like every scene conversation was this was. The characters get all complementary to each other and very emotional about it. Almost like they are blushing giving the other person a compliment or flattering. It's weird. It was constant this season. Burnham was more interesting when she had her Vulcan like tendencies. Now all we get is her batman voice coupled with her over misty eyed emotion. Lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Ragitsu and jackoverfull like this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In away I think the show is trying to create a show language as well. You know how the 24th century and especially TNG had that kind of non contemporary but sort of space Shakespeare sound to it. Something I feel like Micheal Pillar really created. Discovery I feel and this is also true with Picard and I think it will also be the same with SNW is it has Kurtzman melodrama voice. Not that he would see it as melodrama. He I image would call it a stylish way of being contemplative.

11. Pubert

Maybe that's it. Tng though as well as DS9 and Voyager still had that TOS feel as they didn't get too bogged down in melodrama. There was some of course but those shows weten't drowned in it like STD. Picard has it in a way but not as much as STD.

Ragitsu likes this.
  12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Pubes is slow, but he gets there in the end.

nightwind1 and Jack Wolfe like this.
  13. Pubert

You might want to read my above comments instead of insulting me. I explained it was this season.

Ragitsu likes this.
  14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This is too low of a blow.

15. Pubert

Take the character of Stamets. Hes basically my favorite character I the show and I'll explain why. Hes probably the smartest character in the shiw but isn't scared to tell others when they are wrong or make a mistake. Basically he speaks his mind. During season 3 he was actually upset with Burnham and was pretty ticked off at her in the last ep because he felt she put his family in danger unnecessarily. Regardless if he was right or wrong it showed that maybe Burnham us perfect and not everyone pats her on the back for everything she does. I thought cool we night see some animosity and difficulty between the two in the next season. The next season rolls around and it's back to patting each other on the back and getting all misty eyed about everything. Pretty disappointing.

Ragitsu likes this.
  16. Saul

A question I often ask myself.
    I guess most of that went out the window after the pilot.

Ragitsu likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because her Vulcan upbringing was bullshit. It layered over trauma and suppressed emotions in an unhealthy way. Her upbringing was not healthy.

18. Saul

My good man, you should write for the show because that didn't come across to me while watching it. If it had been explored the way you wrote it then that would be interesting.

FederationHistorian likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps this is my biased viewpoint due to schooling but it stood out to me like a red klaxon.

20. Saul

Anyone else agree? I read the shift in personality as a power change behind the scenes. Not as character growth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.