Who is your favourite captain?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by apenpaap, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Who's your favorite captain?

1. Kirk

65 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Picard

63 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Sisko

46 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. Janeway

67 vote(s)
    26.6%
  5. Archer

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Harriman

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, I think that its fairly obvious at this point that the Janeway numbers are being artifically inflated. In polling this poll would simply be called an outlier because it does not match ANY previous poll.

2. trilbymonkey

trilbymonkey Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's gotta be Janeway. :techman:

3. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Actually they're not. Word of this poll got out to other boards and people are coming here to vote. It's all in good fun so get over it.

4. Mriana

Mriana Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe that is because, until now, the Janeway fans have been chased away. The truth is, we are out there and there is no inflation happening. We are just showing that we do exist and we are fans of Janeway. The past polls were skewed and not an accurate representation of reality. What you are seeing a less skewed and a more accurrate picture.

5. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's one vote/voter. How can that be more artificial than in other polls? :lol:

6. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

No question - KIRK!!!

[​IMG]

ME

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. crusher

crusher Lieutenant Red Shirt

Have to say Janeway is the one.

8. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

I can see the inflation. All of the sudden a boatload of cadets are coming on and voting Janeway. Definatley being skewered by artificial registrations.

9. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Skewered"?

If they are real people, then it's not artificial, even if they are new.

You know, I don't have a dog in this fight. I like Janeway fine, but I am extremely fond of nearly all the captains, and I just don't understand this rivalry - hostile rivalry at that. Nobody's going to win anything if his/her favorite captain wins, and it means nothing, so why not just have fun with it?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I was told there would be a year's supply of coffee. :eek:

11. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Oh, well, that explains it, then. ;) I had no idea the stakes were so high.

12. KaiClark

KaiClark Commander Red Shirt

+1

When I looked at this page a week and a half ago she had 23 votes.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted for Janeway. It's a close call between her and Picard but Janeway wins. I liked her way to run things in that ship, she did sem to care for every crewmember and was ready to sacrifice herself for each of them.

So my list would be:

1. Janeway
    2. Picard
    3. Kirk
    4. Sisko
    5. Archer

14. Mriana

Mriana Lieutenant Red Shirt

So was I. Now where is that coffee? There's coffee in that nebula!

15. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Hmmm, from my lone perspective, I would suggest the hostility exist because there are more ToS and TNG fans than Voyager fans.

I've liked all of Star Trek except Voyager. And it's not that I hated Janeway (or more accurately the actress that portrayed her), it's that I hated the lousy writing and technobabble and everything else that I'm sure has been mentioned thousands of time.

So it's hard for me to ever agree with a poll that says Captain Janeway was the best captain, when Voyager was a big part of the downfall of all of Star Trek.

Also what she did in the series finale completely violated Star Trek protocols and could've ended up putting the Federation in a far worse position than the future shown in the episode. I could never vote for a captain that put maybe 40 lives over the risk of TRILLIONS of people.

And also a captain that didn't care about the deaths in the 7 years prior.

So there. :lol:

16. kent

kent Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

DEFINATELY Janeway. She cared and loved her crew DEEPLY ("Good Shepard"), and would do ANYTHING for them (Like when she led a tactical team to rescure Kim and Paris from a wrongful prison sentence.). When she found the 37's, she offered to let her crew settle on the planet with fellow humans; they ALL stayed on Voyager. She was a great at tactical situaions (like when her ship took on 4 or so Kazon mother ships) even though her ship was running less efficiently than it would if it hadn't been dragged to the Delta quadrant. She also broke the rules, which I thought was really Kirk like, so I liked her for that. She never broke them too much, like she said, she bent them. I think it is perfectly accpetable considering her situation. She found out mroe about the Borg than ANYone had ever before, and destroyed a main causeway hub to the beta and alpha quadrants, AND started a civil war that threatens the Borg's existence. She possibly made a peace pact with species 8472, the only species known to be able to resist the borg. She explored more space and made more first contacts than Kirk. But, the MOST important thing about her was her devotion and love for her crew. She was always open for talking with them, hanging out with them, and being generally available. It showed in the crew's devotion back to her.

I think her mission in the Delta quadrant was very reminiscent of Kirk's original mission, exploring totally undiscovered areas of space and meeting completely new races, and doing it without as much contact with starfleet as TNG or DS9. I also think that Kirk and Janeway are alike in a lot of ways, in terms of their ability to take risks for their mission, go the extra mile, defend the Federation at all costs, and devotion to the ship and her crew. Picard was alright, but he was too PC for my taste. Remember when his ship was thrown in the proto-galaxy by the traveller? He had a GOLDEN to the max opportunity to explore, gaining an un-precedented level of understanding of the laws of physics. Instead, he reasoned that if the new super warp drive could get them there, it should be able to do so again and thus they left. UMMM HELLO? You moron?? You completely missed the point of being in Starfleet! What if it can't get you back? YOU MISSED A ONE IN A TRILLIONBAJILLION opportunity!!! That just made him lose a whole lotta points in my eyes. Janeway wouldn't have let that one go, Kirk wouldn't of, and even maybe Sisko wouldn't of either. That's why they are out there, to BOLDLY go where NO ONE has gone BEFORE. Oyvay.

So that all said:

1: Janeway. She rocks.
    2:Kirk. He rocks too.
    3: Picard. Boring, personifies PC 24th century Starfleet, but competent.
    4: Archer. I'd like to see space before Starfleet if I could. And he was hot, i'd hit that, and trip too.
    5:Sisko. I thought he was aloof and arogant. And he enunciated words with this god awful bellow I hated.

17. kent

kent Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek was already waining out by the time Voyager was around. It was too much, one series on top of another. I agree the technobabble was pretty high, and some of the writing was bad. But everyshow has problems like that. Voyager was awesome and got back to the roots of Star Trek: Exploring completely new areas of space, making first contact, being completely dedicated to exploration.

The series finale didn't violate anything except the temporal prime directive, which I don't think existed in the 24th century. And it wouldn't of applied to our Janeway either because it wasn't her that did the violating. And of COURSE she cared for all those deaths, it affected her deeply enough to go through a tough depression.

Was she perfect? No.

Was she didicated to her crew? Yes.

Was Voyager the worst series? No

Did it contribute muchly to the demise of star trek? Of course not, many things did, and in my opinion Enterprise had the most to do with it.

18. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

Bravo kent.
    THAT is the way of a civilized argumentation. Bravo.

19. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

From top to bottom:

Sisko
    Kirk
    Picard
    Janeway
    Archer

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So recruit some people to vote for your Captain. And tell them to stick around and post in discussion (which, btw, goes for all new Voyager fans who recently registered. Welcome to TrekBBS and I hope you enjoy posting here).