Who actually stopped watching at one point?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lord Garth, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"We'll watch anyway" I've always heard. That might be true in several cases but not all.

I became a Star Trek fan in 1991. I got hooked through the movies. I watched all six that year. I rented "Encounter at Farpoint" on VHS (also in 1991), watched it, didn't like it, and then didn't watch TNG again until "Unfication", then started watching TNG regularly after that, and watched the first four seasons in reruns.

Between 1992 and 1996, I managed to watch all of TOS. Yeah, coincidentally during the same years the Eugenics Wars would've taken place. ;)

But there were periods where I didn't watch. I didn't watch the first two seasons of DS9. I watched "Emissary" but then didn't watch any further until after TNG was cancelled. I started watching again right at the beginning of the third season, stuck with the series until the end, and saw the first two seasons in the summer of 1997 in reruns.

VOY was the opposite of DS9. Instead of not watching the first two seasons, I stopped watching during the last two seasons. Eventually, I watched them in 2008.

All in all, I watched Star Trek first-run from 1991 to 1999. I associate it with memories from the '90s. I saw the first six episodes in ENT in 2001, then stopped watching. I binged the show in 2010 during the week of Christmas, which I had off. I didn't feel a burning urge to revisit it after that, and still haven't.

So, "we'll watch anyway" is technically true in my case but with ENT and the last two seasons of VOY, it wasn't until long after the fact. I'm pretty sure when most people say, "They'll watch anyway", they mean while it's still on.

Is anyone else here like me? I guess I'd call myself hardcore but I'm not diehard. If I like it, I'll watch. If I don't, or I just lose interest, I'll stop. Doesn't mean I wouldn't talk about the stuff I did watch but I have no problem tuning in and out.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    somebuddyX likes this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched all of TNG first-run except for one episode (the one with the exocomps I think).

I watched DS9 for its premier and loved "The Emissary..." but I was in-and-out for the rest of the series, as the first two seasons didn't appeal to me. I found them to be static and bland.

I watched VOY for a full first season, but quickly fell out. I didn't watch much at all past "The 37's"

I watched ENT for a full first season, but quickly fell out. I would come back occasionally for the "event shows" only (season premiers, Brent Spiner as guest star, etc).

UPDATE:
    • I watched DS9 in its entirety a few years ago and LOVED it.
    • I tried re-watching VOY after that, and cannot, to this day, slog through it.
    • I watched ENT seasons 2-4 this winter. I found it to be very entertaining...and I believe the separation in time gave me a totally different perspective on the series.
    • I try to re-watch TNG (which I lovingly watched during it's initial airing) and can't maintain interest. It feels too bland and actionless.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, it was only TNG that I quit on a couple of episodes in. I came back to it late season 3. That said, I do now own and have watched every single trek episode of each series.

DS9, Voyager and Enterprise I watched as it aired every week.
    TOS was probably repeats, but I think I first saw every single episode on dvd.
    Animated was DVD all the way.

Some episodes I'd probably skip on any rewatches though while others I've watched many times.

I'll check out Discovery of course. Unless it completely sucks, I'll probably buy it when/if it comes out on disc.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I stopped watching "Enterprise". I had enough a few episodes in.

I wanted to stop watching Voyager, however at the time rabbit ears and little to watch left me with that. Then they became Borg focused and I thought that might be good, but little did I know at the time they were going to fully ruin the Borg. And gosh darnit, I like Barclay, so I continued. It was either that or turn off the TV after "Seven Days".

I sold my TV back in 2004 for money to eat. Never looked back. Now when I watch something, it's extremely selective. I've probably watched less than a dozen new shows or returning shows in a decade or more.

Lorca, like Michael Bay, gave us that stupid dipshit quote that we're all going to watch it anyway. Good lord, I think he believes that and thinks it does happen. No, screw both of you.

C57D and Lord Garth like this.
  5. C57D

C57D Guest

Grew up on TOS/TAS and binge watch it every now and then.
    Was in my late 20's/early 30's for TNG and eagerly devoured most of it at the time. But now can't stand the technobabble and insufferable superiority.
    DS9 & VOY never got my interest so I just watched a few of each.
    I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like ENT and so soldiered through the first two seasons. I was hoping for adventure, seat of your pants, pioneering, right stuff, learning the hard way, but just increasingly got more technobabble. Then I was so totally repulsed by the whole "9/11 in space" thing that I have never watched it since.
    So now I only ever watch TOS/TAS & TMP.
    For me, everything since TMP can vanish tomorrow and I'll still have all the Trek I need.
    And I think that STD is shaping up to go the same way, initially talking about PU Cage era, but moving further from what that means to me, with every trailer and press release. Oh well, I'll try the first few and decide from there! !

6. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Originally watched TNG as a child with my mother.

Watched Star Trek.

Watched Voyager with my family.

Watched TAS when it came out on DVD (That was so awesome to see that after only having episode summaries and on screen shot in an old Star Trek Magazine).

Didn't watch Enterprise initially. Though I did I eventually watch it later.

I watched Deep Space Nine a couple years ago and it was way better than I thought it would be.

I haven't watched any JJTrek films.

7. CitadelZombies

CitadelZombies Commander Red Shirt

Watched all of TOS and TNG no problem. Watched DS9 up half way through season 6 until I gave up and only saw season 7 years later on DVD.
    Voyager only until season 5, and then a few episodes here and there over the years. Still not seen them all.
    Only got past the pilot for Enterprise the first time around. But I'm currently working my way through it again tho, up to season 2.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Started watching in about 94 when late TNG season 7 was on because my brother always watched it. Then caught up with TNG, started on Voyager when it began, and got into DS9 (and later caught up) when Worf joined in Season 4.

I watched ENT when it started and quite liked Season 1, it felt a bit different to the other shows, and any duff episodes I'd cut it some slack as all first seasons of Trek aren't exactly amazing anyway.
    But by Season 2 my patience had ran dry and there were just boring as hell episodes one after the other. I think Vanishing Point was my breaking point, and I remember just turning Singularity off after 10 minutes. Precious Cargo was the next episode I'd have "enjoyed" too! :lol: I've still never seen it.
    I think it was also because Firefly was airing at the same time, and it was like a million times more refreshing and non-stuffy in comparison.

I came back for Regeneration later in the season, and then for the season finale, and was regualry watching again by early-mid Season 3 (hey I like Season 3) and really enjoyed Season 4. But man there are way too many dull as fuck episodes in Season 2.

9. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

"regeneration" and the rock climbing episode thereabouts is where i actually stopped tuning in regularly, having watched every episode of every series weekly since 1991. i started when i was 8, fell off when college started to get wild and enterprise got dull. at the time i thought the borg showing up in the 22nd century was unforgivable.

i was wrong though. regeneration is a standout episode and enterprise holds up pretty damn well in hindsight.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Grew up watching TOS in second-run syndication.

Saw all of TNG in first-run.

Saw all of DS9 in first-run.

Saw the first 3.5 seasons of VOY, but UPN couldn't keep it together in my local TV market and it disappeared a bit after that. It eventually came back bounced around a couple of local stations for a time, and I caught a few episodes here and there, including the finale. Even though I had (and still have) plenty of opportunities to watch the entire series, I never really felt the desire to.

Saw the first 2.75 seasons of ENT, but actually did quit watching it. First Trek series I just really didn't care for. Skipped pretty much the entire third season, but I was lured back to give it another shot for season 4. Really wished it had been more like season 4 from the start, but my feelings towards the series in general have mellowed over the years and become more accepting of things...except "These Are The Voyages..."

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I quit Enterprise early season 3 when Phlox prescribed Vulcan erotic massages to treat headaches. Only finished the series much later when this board said season 4 for much better.

Briefly quit Voyager mid season 3 but came back near the end of season.

DS9, first episode I saw was The Siege and didn't like it. Started watching regularly when Worf joined.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Was going to say that I've watched every Trek show religiously, then remembered that I've only seen a handful of the animated episodes..

What can I say? I'd grown out of watching Saturday morning cartoons when it first aired, so I missed it on its original run. And it wasn't considered "canon" at the time I started writing the books, so there was never any reason to go back and research it . . . .

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. Mattadd

Mattadd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was just a baby when TNG came out and I grew up on reruns of it. Later I think TNG was the first series I watched in its entirety. Plowed through DS9 and ENT and loved them. Dabbled in VOY during that time but couldn't get through it, think I stopped around season 3. Eventually a few years ago I forced myself through the whole Voyager series. I've tried several times over the course of my life to get through TOS but it's so awful I still have never made it through the 1st season.

14. Mattadd

Mattadd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Season 3 is awesome. Season 4 gets all the credit but I like season 3 just as much.

15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Guy's name is Jason Isaacs.

Just sayin'

Phaser Two and Kor like this.
  16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I stopped watching DS9 for a while because the themes were a little too much for my preteen mentality to fathom. I kept watching VOY instead. :barf2:

Kor

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Kor before he was Kor.

Vger23 and Kor like this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

After DS9 ended I also stopped watching Voyager, though for the wrong reasons. Being a teenager at the time, I had the stupid idea that if I gave up Star Trek I'd be a cool kid. I ended up catching Endgame when it first aired, and then spent the following summer catching up on the Voyager seasons that I missed and by the time Enterprise premiered I was back to watching that on a weekly basis.

During the wilderness years since Enterprise ended and the novels pretty much became Star Trek's presence, there was a period of nearly five years or so where I gave the novels up, again for the wrong reasons. Basically, I was allowing my job to completely rule and dominate my life and during this period I more or less had no free time at all. When I did get back into the Trek novels, I actually enjoyed the novelty of reading novels that referenced stuff from other novels I hadn't read and found it a cool experience to see Trek references I didn't know about.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Same with me.

I've seen every episode and every movie. Watched TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT from premiere to finale.

But I've probably only seen 2 or 3 episodes of TAS.

20. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

I've watched it all from its beginning. I like pretty much all of it, but due to its episodic nature, I feel free to dismiss or write off up to 5% of all episodes in each series, and then judge the series on their top 95% - just so as to not to dismiss a whole series due to some relatively rare but horribly written/acted, badly concieved episodes.

TAS was, however, written for a much younger audience, and it shows, but they still have some decent stories.

I've liked all the movies, too, until Abram's efforts. At best, I would consider them on par with some badly written episodes, though they are prettier since a major motion picture budget can do that for even a badly written story. YMMV, of course.

And yet I do not feel inclined to subscribe to CBS All Access just to watch Discovery. I'll probably watch it, eventually, just because I'm a Trek fan, but I'm not champing at the bit and won't go too far out of my way to see it as it airs. If it's years later on DVD or Blu-Ray, or maybe even Netflix, that will probably be soon enough.