Which US President Would You Like to See in "The Savage Curtain"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Joanna McCoy-Kirk, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

Please, keep it out of here.

2. Brobdingnag

Brobdingnag Captain Red Shirt

Well, given that "Lincoln" called Uhura "A negress", I shudder to think what Washington called her...

Markonian and WarpTenLizard like this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Indeed.

This is just for fun, no need to get too political about it.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    President Ford shows up.

"I'm Gerald Ford, President of the United States. It's a pleasure to meet..."

[*Trips over rock on Excalbia*]

"Sorry about that, Captain. I played football in my youth but got clumsy as I got older."

Lord Garth and CorporalCaptain like this.
  5. Brobdingnag

Lyndon Johnson: "All I know is that we need more troops in Viet Nam, that's how we're gonna win this battle."

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have too "on the nose" to depict a president from current events or from living memory of the time.
    TOS tended to stay vague about real-world current and recent events, e.g. mentioning "the twentieth century brush wars on the Asian continent," with "two giant powers involved," but not getting into any specifics. The exception was Nazi Germany as a recent memory. It was fair game for criticism in all kinds of TV shows and movies.

Kor

7. Brobdingnag

Praising the Nazi regime was a really really bad move!

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Patterns of Force" did not praise the Nazi regime, it explicitly condemned it, so....

Sgt_G likes this.
  9. Brobdingnag

"KIRK: But why Nazi Germany? You studied history. You knew what the Nazis were.
    GILL: Most efficient state Earth ever knew.
    SPOCK: Quite true, Captain. That tiny country, beaten, bankrupt, defeated, rose in a few years to stand only one step away from global domination"

Enough said.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Spock isn't necessarily wrong from a plain facts, historical perspective. He wasn't praising Nazi Germany AS a system, just saying that its tyranny was ruthlessly efficient and successful at renewing that country's strength.

The characters then go on to say that it was perverted and evil and had to defeated at the cost of millions of lives.

Kor, Sci, 1001001 and 3 others like this.
  11. CorporalCaptain

No, classic example of taking a quote out of context, because you craftily omitted the lines that immediately followed.

So, bullshit. And off-topic bullshit. I stand by my position that it is bullshit that "Patterns of Forces" praised the Nazi regime.

If you want to discuss it further, create the appropriate thread, I'll say the same thing in there, and I'll post the rest of the dialog you have omitted.

dupersuper likes this.
  12. Brobdingnag

Wrong, the rest doesn't change the fact that both Gill and Spock said that it was the most efficient state Earth has ever known, which is a horrible thing to say regardless of context.

It may be argued that Gill lost his mind but the same can't be said of Spock.

13. CorporalCaptain

I will not say one more word about this in this thread. I stand by what I said. If you want to continue to discuss it, create the appropriate thread. I won't be a further party to the hijacking of this thread with this.

14. Brobdingnag

So do I and I have no further need to say anything more about it, hence my "enough said".

15. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Knock it off!

:mad:

16. T'Grinch

T'Grinch T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

It's never wise to attract the attention of the head admin. I would suggest moderating one's behavior accordingly.

jackoverfull, foxhot and 1001001 like this.
  17. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

I would hope that the sheer number of people Roosevelt helped get killed in the course of constructing the Panama Canal and conquering and oppressing Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines, would prompt Kirk to rule out Teddy Roosevelt as a role model.

I have trouble seeing Kirk as truly admiring any U.S. president up through Nixon other than Lincoln and FDR, and I think even then he would acknowledge they both have some major dark sides.

jackoverfull likes this.
  18. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Captain Captain

A fictitious one from a future-"history." Like, the president of the U.S. during WWIII, or maybe the first President of Earth, or something.

jackoverfull likes this.
  19. mb22

mb22 Captain Captain

dupersuper likes this.
  20. Brobdingnag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.