Which Trek board game do you feel has the most authentic Star Trek flavor?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by RookieBatman, Jul 10, 2019.

1. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I'm always interested when I hear about a new Star trek tabletop game, but a lot of the ones I've checked out leave me feeling dissatisfied, because it often seems like they either A) just took generic game concepts and applied a Star Trek skin (like Star Trek Catan or Star Trek Monopoly), or B) took specific and thematic elements from the show, but just kinda mashed them all together or throw them at the player all at once (like Star Trek Panic or that unofficial Dice Game).

For anyone reading this who is familiar with a variety of Star Trek tabletop games, which one do you feel captures the theme of Star Trek best? Which one feels most like actually being immersed in the world of Star Trek instead of just doing arbitrary board-game things? For the sake of this discussion, I'm gonna exclude RPGs where there's a game-master manually constructing the narrative.

2. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

Star Trek Frontiers, maybe. I'm not sure there's a board game that covers all of Trek in terms of space battles, exploration, sending away teams down to a planet, exploring the human condition. etc.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I always enjoyed the Motion Picture board game with its interchangeable star maps, mission cards and up to six players. It was pretty much a new game every time.