when did TOS take place, 23rd century or 22nd century

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gabriel, Jan 15, 2019.

?

What century did TOS take place

1. 23rd century

92.3%
  2. 22nd century

7.7%
  1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with that reasoning is that all mentions of the 19th century come after that 900 year assessment. So what time period do the Enterprise crew initially think of? If they note or recognize the Napoleon bust they might think one thing (1800s) but if they are keying on the castle, the stained glass, the armor, the swords, the shields, the tapestries and the torches they could be thinking something else entirely (middle ages).

ninja'd by Henoch

Henoch likes this.
  2. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Hey well that’s how I get to fit my head canon. To me I go what with the dates memory alpha goes by because I used it so much for information they are just stuck in my brain. Of course tho those are just my opinions.
    And plus they did rebuild the enterprise basically in the refit so it makes some sense that you would use the refit date to tell how old he Enterprise is. And frankly I think he just said that because starfleet felt it was more efficient to build new excelsior class then constitution. Just my opinion tho. Not in any way saying it’s facts. It’s how I make it fit in my head canon. Like Geordi and his visor I take what I need and ignore the rest.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Strauss' "Rosen aus den Süden" appeared in 1880, long after Scarlatti's compositions for harpsichord. But it was Uhura who played the waltz, not Trelane.

This leads to two (equally?) unlikely conclusions: (i) This waltz was always a favorite of Uhura's, and she therefore had the whole piece in her head but had no idea how to perform it on keyboard, and Trelane merely gave her the ability to do so. (ii) Trelane placed that music into her head, and therefore his musical tastes were so broad as to encompass early-1700s Scarlatti music as well as Strauss waltzes from 150 years later. (Of course, if the latter is the case, that places the episode in approximately Earth year 2780 or later.)

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Henoch is right. "The Squire of Gothos" does not put Star Trek 700 years in the future.

- Jaeger's hasty assessment of Trelane's period decor is influenced by knowing that the Earth is currently 900 light years away. Jaeger wouldn't know one century's decor from another; he simply jumps to conclusions and figures that the Earth period being imitated must line up with the distance in light years. But it doesn't.

- The planet Gothos is not orbiting a sun. It's a rogue, and Trelane flies it through space at will. Trelane can create designer wormholes to fly his planet anywhere he wants very quickly. So he studied the Earth from various light-year distances, or at various times over the centuries, and saw a crazy quilt of mixed-period references.

Gothos just happened to be 900 light years from Earth when the Enterprise ran across it. That tells us nothing.

TribbleFeeder, BK613 and Henoch like this.
  5. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Not implausible - but then why wouldn't there be a wider range of Earth years represented? (And/or a wider range of cultures? Why only European?)

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the same reason I consume the legal limit of Star Trek and have never seen Steel Magnolias. He likes what he likes.

BK613 likes this.
  7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IDK, this one line of dialog represents more than 1500 hundred years of history:

Henoch likes this.
  8. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

There was a wide range of years: roman heads; medieval armor and weapons; gothic castle; battle flags and pennants dating back to the Crusades, to Hannibal's invaders, the Grecian war galleys, and the hordes of Persia; Napoleon bust; a harpsichord; a salt-vampire monster (?); flintlocks, etc.

Trelane sees himself as a Gentleman Englishman and retired military General. He said he was an admirer of Napoleon. Hence his primary interests.

ninja'd back by BK.

BK613 likes this.
  9. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

You know I’ve been wondering. What do you guys think about the writers in TOS. Did they suck, were good, or just ok. I mean some times they rocked and some times they completely missed the shot. What about TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DSC, original movies, TNG movie, new movies.

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

In The Amazing Spider-Man #1, Stan Lee referred to Peter Parker as "Peter Palmer" in a caption or two (It's in the first Chameleon story). Since it was a narrative caption, there was no way it was anything but a mistake on his part.

Stan Lee was the first to admit that he had a bad memory, which is why he gave most of his characters alliterative names. (Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards, Susan Storm, Scott Summers, etc.) That way, once he remembered the first name, he was well on his way to remembering the second one, too. A couple of the significant Marvel characters that didn't receive alliterative names, Tony Stark and Don Blake, were named by Stan's brother, Larry Lieber.

And that's not even the worst mistake that Stan made with character names. In Amazing Spider-Man #3, he had Dr. Octopus call Spidey "Super-Man" in a word balloon. (Superman is a character from rival company DC Comics, in case you don't know.) :guffaw:
    I know that Banner definitely calls himself "Bob Banner" in Avengers #3, but it might've happened in an issue of the FF as well. And yeah, Stan came up with the full name "Robert Bruce Banner" to explain how his mistake wasn't really a mistake. This practice eventually led to readers sending in explanations for mistakes they found in Marvel Comics, and if their explanation was accepted, they'd receive a Marvel "No-Prize" (an empty envelope stating that the No-Prize was inside). It was a clever way for Stan to turn a mistake into an asset that encouraged greater reader engagement.

The name you see on David Banner's headstone at the beginning of The Incredible Hulk TV series was "David Bruce Banner," which was Stan's suggestion, in case they wanted to revert to the Bruce Banner name after the TV movie pilot episode that called him "David." But producer Kenneth Johnson didn't like comic book style alliterative names, so he stuck with "David."

Gabriel likes this.
  11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus the bust of Napoleon, which is plainly visible before Trelane is informed of and admits his error in time.

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bruce Banner's real name was Robert Bruce Banner in the comics and David Bruce Banner in the TV series! Strangely I was only talking about this yesterday! Plus you forgot Matt Murdock (DareDevil) :techman:
    JB

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's too generic a question to be answerable. Any sizeable group will contain some members that are better than others.

BK613 likes this.
  14. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Ok, sorry about. Then are there any single writers,producers,show runners,etc you like from any series. Or any you don’t like.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

He's covered in the "etc." :)

johnnybear likes this.
  16. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is Wrath of Khan. Khan not Kahn. Kahn is a surname, used by many people. And some of those people might possibly share my disgust at all the terrible massacres committed by various Turkic and Mongol khans over the centuries and be angry that you confused their surname with the most sinister and evil sounding title in all of Human history. It is quite possible that more people have been murdered by Khans than by Nazis and Commies combined.

There is a difference between a calendar and the year count that it uses.

A calendar involves the order and names of months, the number of days in each month, how the calendar compensates for the fact that there is a fractional and not a whole number of days in a year, etc., etc.

A year count is counting the years from a specific year or whole date that is the era or epoch of the calendar.

The Julian calendar was used by the Christian states in Europe during the middle ages. But the Christian states in the Iberian Peninsula used the year count called the Spanish era or the era of Caesar, counting the years from what we call 38 BC. In Spanish era 1387 the Kingdom of Aragon adopted the Anno Domini year count, making the year now AD 1348. The Kingdom of Valencia switched to Anno Domini in 1396/1358, the Kingdom of Castile in 1421/1383, and the Kingdom of Portugal in 1460/1422. And everyone over 38 could joke they were now 38 years younger, and I don't know what jokes the people under 38 made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_era

During the middle ages different places started the year on different dates. So if one traveled between different places that both used the Anno Domini year count one might still travel between different years in the calendars of different places.

So you have made several assumptions.

1) You have assumed that the 2283 is a year and not some stardate or other dating system.

2) You have assumed that if 2283 is a year it must be an Earth year and not a year in another planet's calendar.

3) You have assumed that all future Earth year counts will be Anno Domini year counts, and not use many other eras which have been used in Earth calendars in the past and present, despite the fact that there is strong evidence for the use of different year counts in different episodes

4) You have assumed that the only calendar used in Earth's future will be the Gregorian calendar, despite the fact that many different calendars are used on Earth at the present.

5) You have assumed that use of the Gregorian calendar implies use of the Anno Domini year count, and that use of the Anno Domini year count implies use of the Gregorian calendar, even though the Anno Domini year count was started a thousand years before the Gregorian calendar.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Timewalker likes this.
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a very racist thing to say, considering that Khan is an extremely common surname throughout the Muslim world. Hell, the current mayor of London is Sadiq Khan, and one of Doctor Who's current companions is Yasmin Khan. And Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel is one of the most popular superheroes in comics today.

Good grief, do you hate everyone named Joseph because of Stalin's massacres? Do you hate Cesar Romero or Sid Caesar because they share a name derived from the title of Nero and Caligula? It's absurd to hate a name because of the actions of some historical figure who had it.

Nyotarules, Kor, Albertese and 2 others like this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's gonna be in the category of "nope."

Genghis Khan killed around 40 million, give or take.

Just counting USSR and German military deaths in WWII (10 million and 5 million, respectively) and the Holocaust victims (another 17 million, 6 million of which were Jewish), so that there is no (or only marginal) overlap in the first subtotal, we're already at 32 million. Toss in the Soviet famine of 1932-33, and we have another 7 million at a minimum. Toss in official Soviet records of executions and death from forced labor and forced re-settlements under Stalin, and we have at least another 3 million. That puts deaths "by Nazis and Commies" [sic] at at least 42 million, and we haven't even started counting regular civilian deaths in Europe during WWII, deaths from other armed forces fighting the Nazis, not to mention deaths under other (at least nominally) communist nations such as China, North Korea, and North Vietnam, etc.

You're going to have to come up with tens of millions more deaths under "Khans" not named Genghis to "win."

The burden of proof is on you, my friend.

ZapBrannigan and BillJ like this.
  19. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

You know something people like them enjoying people being pissed off. So instead why don’t you just report them instead of giving them the enjoyment of knowing you’re pissed off, or look like yoru pissed off

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Okay, deep breaths everyone.

@MAGolding , I don’t have any idea how a simple misspelling can spin you into a rant like that, but it’s completely off topic for this thread and this forum.

You really need to step back and reevaluate your participation on this board if that’s how you’re going to respond to a simple spelling mistake.

Consider this your one (and only) get out of jail free card. Next time you will receive a formal warning.

I expect this sidetrack to be abandoned, by everyone, immediately.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled nonsense.