When did programs become apps?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Data Holmes, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

For my money, Android wins hands-down over iPhone (and iOS in general), because it's under my control, not someone else's. I can take what Google and Samsung and Sprint put on my phone and reconfigure it any way I want. I can install any application I'd like, I don't have to go to the Android Marketplace for everything if I don't want to. I can write my own apps and distribute them without needing approval from anyone. I don't have any type of software forbidden from my phone just because Google has an ax to grind (e.g. Apple vs. Adobe).

iPhone is obviously not a bad product. It wouldn't sell so well and so consistently if it sucked. I just don't care for the shackles Apple places on it in order to suit their business objectives, so I wouldn't buy one. I wouldn't care if the OS capabilities were 100 times those of Android, there is no point where I would be willing to give up the freedom and flexibility of a truly open platform.

2. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

At a certain point there is no point in responding to your strawman arguments and factual errors.

But when you take the time to make the corrections to that post, I'll be happy to continue with the discussion. Otherwise, you're nothing more than a waste of time that could be put to better use.

You aren't worth the effort at this point... sorry.:shrug:

3. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Bye then! Be sure to come back once you've done some research on the Android platform. :techman:

4. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I'll be back when you correct the errors in you post (and they aren't hard to find). :eek:

5. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Then by all means, please point them out to me so that I can learn what my mistakes are! If they are so obvious, then it should be trivial for you to do and then we can move on to helping you correct the mistakes in your posts. It will be a learning experience for everyone!

Or, I guess you can just keep making quips. Discussion or no discussion... this is up to you.

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

So you are asking me to waste my time? :wtf:

Tell you what, you correct one of your mistakes, and I'll consider helping with the rest. :techman:

Edit: Time permitting... I do have more important things to do.

7. Robert Maxwell

Alright, guys, that's enough. Let's discuss the topic or not, but please stop the back-and-forth sniping.

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

He's asking you to stop taking offense at the suggestion that you might not know everything and engage in discussion with the rest of us mortals.

I'm asking you to stop making Mac users look like arrogant elitists. We get enough of that prejudice without playing into it.

Either drop the issue or discuss it civilly, but stop with the attitude.

9. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Word has come down Lindley... we drop it. Please don't attempt to start it up again.

10. Robert Maxwell

Seriously, enough. The next post in this thread better be back on-topic and not a swipe at another member or I'm handing out infractions.

11. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Can I at least ask what the errors and mistakes in the post in question were?
    I don't know much about the technical aspects of either platforms, but I find the topic somewhat interesting.

12. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

After iPhone, but before Android. I don't know exactly when, but I do know it basically started with the whole "There's an app for that!" marketing slogan, and then HTC used the same terminology referring to "Droid apps." They went back and forth for a while and then suddenly the term made the jump to hyperspace and became an independent noun (kinda like how "google" is now a verb that describes the general use of search engines).

13. Robert Maxwell

As long as you can do it without attacking anyone, sure.

14. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Could you point out what his factual errors were?

15. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

What benefit do I get from further participation in this thread?

Sorry, but between Arrgh's strawman arguments and Lindley's personal attack (after Robert asked us to tone it down), there is no good reason for me to invest any more of my time on this (specially without making me look more arrogant and elitist).

But I have been watching both Arrgh's and Lindley's posts to see if anything has changed that might at least make this an enjoyable discussion that I would like to participate in. If something changes... we'll see what we can do.

And remember, this isn't special, secret information that only I have... so you really don't need me anyways.

So unless something changes... please don't ask again.

Thanks! :techman:

16. Robert Maxwell

So, even though there was no more time for you to invest in this thread, you had to come back and get in one more jab?

You could've either answered ST-One's question or just said, "No thanks." You also could've just ignored it. Instead, you had to take one more swipe, presumably with the intention of getting Arrqh and/or Lindley to respond in kind.

Considering I gave everyone fair warning--twice--you have earned an infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.