What's up with the more recent Arnold movies?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by MyCylon, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as you don't pick "Jingle All The Way", we're good.

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

That movie and Kindergarten Cop will always have a special place in my heart.

3. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

While it's not one of Arnie's best, it's one of the few movies that capture the petty materialism of Christmas.

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

IT'S TURBO TIME!

5. Orintho

Orintho Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what happened although his 'decline' seemed to strangely coincide with the shift in national politics. Then again, maybe Ahhnold, like some actors, cannot always choose the best roles for himself.

I thought 'Last Action Hero' was the start of the decline, although I did like 'True Lies'.

6. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

^^^ That pretty much sums up my feeling too. I remember seeing Last Action Hero with some friends and all of us decided to leave right in the middle. I couldn't believe I was watching an Arnold movie, especially after the string of "kick ass" movies he'd made the previous years (Terminator 2, Total Recall, Running Man, Predator).

True Lies was pretty good, and like most Arnold classics, it doesn't get old on repeated viewings.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought "Last Action Hero" was pretty great. It's a terrible action movie, but then, that's kinda the point - since it's a spoof. The kid can get annoying at times, and the third act is a little too light on the laughs when they go back to the "real world", but the first two thirds are gold.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arnold's been unfairly typecast. Just picture him in other kind of roles that utilize his acting abilities!

"Show me da money!"

"When you marooned me on dat godforsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate: I'm Captain Jack Sparrow."

"Der is no spoon?"

"This city deserves a better class of criminal ... and i'm gonna give it to dem!"

"He slimed me."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  9. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I can definitely see him in Hamlet: "To be or not to be...not to be." *boom!* :D

10. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I browsed the web for some information on Crusade. Looks like Kassar killed that particular project (there was some detailed information here though I'd like to point out I that I don't know how accurate it is) which was a bit of a surprise considering all the good (particularly Arnold) stuff he'd produced over the years.

However, making Cutthroat Island instead of Crusade doesn't really look like a very good idea no matter which way you look at it, I suppose ;).

I think Crusade could have been very successful. As I said, I think Arnold and Verhoeven were a terrific match.

Having said that, I'd have preferred them making Total Recall 2 or something else in the realm of sci-fi. I think Arnold and Verhoeven mentioned something about Minority Report basically being Total Recall 2 or what whould have been TR 2 in the TR commentary.