What's the last TNG episode you'd watched, with mini-review?

This ep is on my rewatch list. Has one of the unarguably Top 10 lines in TNG:

I see yours and will raise by four:

If nothing else, the music, Romulan treachary, and never getting to know what the bleep Riker said that was positive about Ro make up for everything...

Squee, Romulans! And a Romulan TARDIS console but without the wibbly wobbly bit! And early-nineties hair! And more great music! (seriously, TNG needed toning down, not too extreme, not too banal, and this one gets it right,.)

Each effect had cost 60 zillion dollars but was worth it.

I couldn't find the Geordi/Ro scene in the shuttle as they discuss funeral rituals, so I'll go with this instead - they give Data the opportunity to do something different and it worked... The episode has problems, but for some reason the acting, Romulan intrigue and naugtiness, and philosophical aspects somehow compensate...

I just watched two...

1. CAUSE AND EFFECT
I enjoy this one every now and then. Even with five iterations of the same events, it manages to be interesting, thanks to subtle variations (possibly thanks to Jonathan Frakes, who directed this one). Gates McFadden has more than the usual amount to do as her deja vu gets gradually more intense, and Data's use of the number 3 was just obscure enough to leave us still wondering what was up.

2. ENSIGN RO
This one was one of Trek's best efforts, introducing not just a new officer, but the premise for DS9. Whoopi Goldberg and Michelle Forbes had great scenes together. And watching that evil admiral get wrecked at the end was a treat.

One nitpick, though... given that several Earth cultures use the same naming convention as Bajor, it seems hard to believe that the Federation wouldn't be aware of it, or that a culturally tolerant organization like Starfleet would ban Bajoran earwear. It seemed more like an effort to artificially create conflict by having the good guy characters act like dicks.

I just watched two...

1. CAUSE AND EFFECT
I enjoy this one every now and then. Even with five iterations of the same events, it manages to be interesting, thanks to subtle variations (possibly thanks to Jonathan Frakes, who directed this one). Gates McFadden has more than the usual amount to do as her deja vu gets gradually more intense, and Data's use of the number 3 was just obscure enough to leave us still wondering what was up.

2. ENSIGN RO
This one was one of Trek's best efforts, introducing not just a new officer, but the premise for DS9. Whoopi Goldberg and Michelle Forbes had great scenes together. And watching that evil admiral get wrecked at the end was a treat.

One nitpick, though... given that several Earth cultures use the same naming convention as Bajor, it seems hard to believe that the Federation wouldn't be aware of it, or that a culturally tolerant organization like Starfleet would ban Bajoran earwear. It seemed more like an effort to artificially create conflict by having the good guy characters act like dicks.
I've always assumed they were being dicks about it, as well as about the earring, because they didn't like her because of her history.

It was unprofessional. If Starfleet convention was to respect Bajoran customs, then Riker should have simply not mentioned the earring at all.

Watched another: SCHISMS

Even though this creepy tale of trans-dimensional alien abduction isn't quite as creepy when you know the denouement, the actors' performances and the excellent music really sell it. The scene in the holodeck ("I've been in this room before") is one of the best uses of the holodeck in Trek.

I just watched two...

1. CAUSE AND EFFECT

I remember it holding up surprisingly well on first viewing too. The story resolved the situation at the perfect time. I can't rewatch it as often, only because it is predictable, but its new take on being in a time loops is genuinely first rate innovative.

2. ENSIGN RO

Good points, all. Forbes was inspired casting and her chemistry with Goldberg is well above and beyond "amazing". Their introductory scene still "gets me in teh feelz", every time:

Now that is primo Star Trek. :luvlove:

If anything, up until this episode, is it possible that all Earth cultures unified to the same naming convention and, after 300 years, it became ancient history? It's a silly notion and I'm missing the obvious somewhere, but... to compare to our 21st century with stuff in the early-1700s, we of today - as example - pretty much don't know or care about how electricity (apart from knowing it got discovered until 1752, but few really think about the minutiae anymore, not on any regular basis. Even plumbing as we know it wasn't "a thing" until the 1800s, and the lack of rivers made what the ancient Romans did comparatively rare. Hello, chamber pots, whee! (Or, rather, 'wee!" :shifty: ) Gotta wonder what made them realize that having the stuff flow away was of benefit, and to them what extent (e.g. pest infestation reduction, illness spreading, etc, but how many would want to rent a time machine to go back and take notes of firsthand experience? Of course, if the history teacher believes such a journey then it's an easy-A... ask Ted and Bill! :biggrin:) Plus, of all the plumbers I've dealt with, only one knew any of distant history, which is kinda cool, even if it's not needed as much in our day and age. All this is a theory based on loose association, but it's a show set in the distant future in its own universe, of course.

It was unprofessional. If Starfleet convention was to respect Bajoran customs, then Riker should have simply not mentioned the earring at all.

Definitely agreed..

I believe the current colloquialism is "Riker's gonna Riker" as I'd argue he's acting in-character. Yeah, Riker shouldn't have done that, but they were really trying for character conflict in a long string of non-cliquish characters introduced, that started with Pulaski then Barclay then Shelby... and Riker's definitely been a bit of a horsey-hind toward them... even for within the clique, such as Data, from time to time (definitely unprofessional in "The Ensigns of Command" with his sarcastic attitude, how he goes in for a double-dunk by talking down to Data and Geordi in "11001001" about painting Zylo eggs... and other occasional events.

Watched another: SCHISMS

Even though this creepy tale of trans-dimensional alien abduction isn't quite as creepy when you know the denouement, the actors' performances and the excellent music really sell it. The scene in the holodeck ("I've been in this room before") is one of the best uses of the holodeck in Trek.

I might fast forward to rewatching season 6 next, based on your review of that alone...

Don't skip 5, though. Lotta good stuff in it. Including it's two closing episodes.

True... :) I've done so many random rewatches that, for once, going in sequential might restore the original sense of flavor... as well as going through the journey involving Worf's hair length - that was a cool way to show progression as the years went on, and shows how Klingon hair grows as slowly as human hair... how's that for a fun tangent? :D

My last recollection of "The Inner Light" was a mixed bag. Not a bad episode, but feeling more rushed due to what I perceived at the time to be plot holes with easy solutions (did the alien species send up a probe to contact just one person about how great their civilization was before said probe shutting down completely as the flute was now taken? Only one flute, surely it would be like a candy dispenser chucking out hundreds as space is a big place and flutes are small... ) But I'm getting way ahead of things as I'm basking in the grossly underrated season 2. Okona aside, of course, as I couldn't get past the first ten minutes of that, but the special effects sure did look good...

I also recall "Time's Arrow" even more vaguely; only something about Data's head being dug up from the past and how the mystery plot led to a cliffhanger not being the usual bang-zoom sort that we had with Redemption and TBOBW - a nice change...

"Time's Arrow" rates a rewatch, if for no other reason that seeing Data play poker against a makeup-less Dukat. The preamble, where he explores his newly discovered mortality, is enjoyable as well.

Rewatched the extended version of Measure of a Man. Still a great episode, an easy watch, and only slightly marred by the studio they outsourced season two of the TNGR project to. ;)

Watching The Last Outpost right now and the one thing I can't figure out is why doesn't the Enterprise have a Chief Engineer. Picard sends Laforge to engineering to get a report and there is not anyone there in charge. It's a bit odd, especially when you consider that they had a couple (or three maybe?) different engineering chiefs before Laforge was promoted to that position.

Last edited:
Can't believe there is a topic to review episodes, it's a paradise and a good read! All posts above are wonderful!

I will start small, I hope it's ok. I've just finished watching all seven seasons but with favourite episodes in each.
What's on my mind right now is "The Clues", because that one got me thinking again about things I cherish most in TNG ever since I was a child - loyalty and selfishness when friends are in danger and a drama about loyalty and goodness being in question. Episodes like that just push all the right buttons in my heart for some reason.

"Clues" is a story where I felt on the edge of a heartbreak because I really enjoy when characters do something what they are not supposed to for a greater good and they are challenged by others and so there is tension because the same heartbreak is on screen from the characters who are suddenly "betrayed". It's obviously not the only one with a story like this, but this the only one where the stakes are very personal and the destruction of a ship is somewhat a background for a more personal drama. Knowing the ending, still I love the suspense, the idea that a beloved main character lying not because he is suddenly bad, but because there is a greater reason for that and his friends can't just leave it at that, and they are not showing malice, they are simply confused and almost sad about the whole problem of loosing time, part of their lives AND most importantly the confidence in someone they always trusted in a heartbeat. It was wonderful to watch it again. Perhaps later I will add a bigger review when I feel more confident!

So the plot is a mystery, perhaps even a bigger mystery than any Sherlock style episode of TNG, which is saying something, if you don't remember it! I guess it will make you feel something like a little shiver of uneasiness. You don't know, what happened in the beginning of the episode and maybe it wouldn't be a mystery for long, but still you might enjoy watching an interaction between Picard and Data. So, honestly it is 6 out of 10 for those who wouldn't mind a mystery plot and I guess 8 or even 9 out of 10 for Data fans! =)

I want to share one fav moment for me in that episode, which was in a scene where Troi is possessed by aliens. She moves towards Picard and both Riker and Data are synchronized to protect captain Picard and shield him from the danger with themselves on it's way. It's just one of the most beloved moments for me that are especially dear. Of course it's their duty to do so but I see here more than that, because both FO and SO are friends of captain Picard and I believe they would act the same even without the officers law of conduct, it was so natural of them to act like that!

BVe9TJe.gif

"Thine Own Self" feels a bit like Voyager lite, especially the structure. For instance, the story starting out on a mysterious or dangerous circumstance and the explanation of how our characters got in there being spoon fed through out the episode was way too common on Voyager to varying degrees of success. If you replace the characters and make a couple of changes, it could definitely become a Voyager episode. In this case, we start with Data acting strangely on a strange planet for the audience, Bakur IV in this case, apparently with his memory compromised. It's clear to us thay Data suffered some kind of accident and it's being interrogated by the locals who assume he's from a place far away from their village.

The idea of Data unknowingly bringing radioactive material to the population is interesting in theory, but the execution is rather clumsy. Data slowly regain his memory through out the episode, but somehow he's unable to remember what radiation is? That's pretty convenient for the plot if you ask me.

The other thing that bugs me about the episode is Troi's subplot that has nothing to do with the main plot. I usually don't like the multiple plot writing on Star Trek, I mean, this isn't a sitcom, right? I like it better when the B plot is related to the main story, even if thematically. About this plot by the way, it's kinda strange to me. Why would Troi want to become a bridge officer now? I think she would've been one by this point. It could've been better served as its own separate story rather than acting as filler in this episode. Also, the idea that the solution for the test was to order the sacrifice of Geordi looked like one of those typical "gotcha" moments that those Starfleet tests always have, but makes no sense when you think about it.

Other than that, the episode is pretty okay, nothing impressive but far from bad. I enjoy a couple of scenes, like when Data is correcting Talur, the local professor and scientist of the village, on the school class.

The other thing that bugs me about the episode is Troi's subplot that has nothing to do with the main plot.

It's about two different meanings of the same title. Data manages to be himself, despite not being able to remember who or what he is, with everyone around him misidentifying him. Troi is seeking personal career advancement, but struggling with a necessary part of being a bridge officer (giving deadly orders, something a counselor doesn't usually have to do), wondering if she can do the hard thing.

So basically, nature or nurture - how can I stay the same (Data) and can I make the tough calls when it counts - how can I change what instinct says to do (Deanna)

"Thine Own Self" feels a bit like Voyager lite, especially the structure.

Given that VOY was usually TNG Lite, it's not surprising that they can compare in the other direction as well.

The other thing that bugs me about the episode is Troi's subplot that has nothing to do with the main plot. I usually don't like the multiple plot writing on Star Trek, I mean, this isn't a sitcom, right?

I have no issue with that, in itself. Sometimes you just have two compatible plots that won't make a 45 minute episode themselves, so you stick them together. DS9's "Shadowplay" did it with three.

It's about two different meanings of the same title. Data manages to be himself, despite not being able to remember who or what he is, with everyone around him misidentifying him. Troi is seeking personal career advancement, but struggling with a necessary part of being a bridge officer (giving deadly orders, something a counselor doesn't usually have to do), wondering if she can do the hard thing.

One VOY episode this parallels to is "Unimatrix Zero", since it features one character getting promoted past another who was far more deserving. And it's actually worse: Tom actually deserved to be promoted, due to his excellent performance. Troi, by contrast and in my opinion, did not. The holosimulation with Geordi was a test of character, not a problem to be solved through repetition.

Rather than playing the same simulation over and over again like a video game, trying to beat the challenge, it would have been better to have multiple types of situations that presented a similar dilemma without appearing too similar ("Oh, I know what this is!")

It was supposed to be the "engineering" portion of the test, but it's not really about engineering at all (aside from knowing what orders to give that don't work before you have to order someone to their deaths). I guess it doubles as a character/stress/tough call test. I wonder if there was more than meets the eye to the other tests as well. Also, what would have happened if Deanna had told Geordi "Talk me through it. I'm going in."

GEORDI: "It's too complicated for that."

Undoubtedly, the sim expects a question like that. A captain does not have the moral authority to sacrifice another person for the greater good unless they are also willing to sacrifice themselves.

The Defector

Still just a wonderful piece of teleplay from front to back, with one of their best guest actors ever. Personally, I never tire here of enjoying how well TNG took what is essentially an episodic formatted show in Star Trek, & began the 1st efforts to infuse serialization, in both premise & dialog. This episode has been nearly completely overlooked for it's wonderful Tomalak arc. They weren't just testing Jarok's loyalty. This whole thing was cooked up to be payback for the Golorndon Core incident in The Enemy, where Tomalak almost certainly lost a lot of face, & needed to redeem himself by taking the Enterprise to "Display its broken hull in the center of the Romulan capitol". Top that off by Beverly's subtle dig about having recently had a chance to learn Romulan medicine, directed pointedly to Worf, who she still condemns for his actions, & you got some great drama, friends.

The Defector

Still just a wonderful piece of teleplay from front to back, with one of their best guest actors ever. Personally, I never tire here of enjoying how well TNG took what is essentially an episodic formatted show in Star Trek, & began the 1st efforts to infuse serialization, in both premise & dialog. This episode has been nearly completely overlooked for it's wonderful Tomalak arc. They weren't just testing Jarok's loyalty. This whole thing was cooked up to be payback for the Golorndon Core incident in The Enemy, where Tomalak almost certainly lost a lot of face, & needed to redeem himself by taking the Enterprise to "Display its broken hull in the center of the Romulan capitol". Top that off by Beverly's subtle dig about having recently had a chance to learn Romulan medicine, directed pointedly to Worf, who she still condemns for his actions, & you got some great drama, friends.
Agreed. It's one of my all-time favorites.

I watched Shades of Gray last night. I enjoyed it, but then again, it's Season 2 (the best season), so what's not to enjoy?

Things I liked:

-Set Design (cool meat-eating vines, and the alluded to bone graveyard of its victims)
-Music (like all of season 2, the creepy music fit the episode)
-Will Riker setting a good example of dying with dignity on the sick bay bed. "The greatest test of character is how we die." This is how a second officer's character should be written. Not crap like "Matter of Perspective."
-Cool highlights from good episodes (Has there ever been a better Star Trek Clip Show?) ;)
-First time I saw this, I actually thought Rider would die!! I mean, they killed Tasha off the previous season. So anything was possible! As a kid, this episode genuinely scared me.

Back