What's keeping me out of the theatre....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, who gives a rats' ass if somebody DLs a film? Or a song or a TV show? Fuck it, I also go over the speed limit and print personal stuff at work.

2. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because the former is theft. You are wearing at someone's livelyhood.

That is wrong.

It seems in the age of the internet, some have gotten an unjustified sense of entitlement. That just because I can get something for free, I have the right to it for free.

This is wrong.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Cheat on your taxes a little to save a few bucks? Honestly? Use the photocopy machine or computer at work for personal use on company time? Do anything that you really shouldn't?

Unless you are absolutely sin free then don't be holier than thou.

4. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the people who go to see the film or legitimately purchase said movie foot the bill for those who download it for free..in increased movie ticket costs, increased costs for the film on BRD and DVDs. After all, the costs of shoplifting are passed on to the consumer all the time...so it's the equivalent of shoplifting..and the honest folks foot the bill.

SO I pay for you to download the film...and that really isn't fair to me...esp. if you hate the film before you see it...why not wait till it gets broadcast then..? at least you wouldn't be sucking on my dollars...

5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

You've summed up my feelings pretty well, Brutal Strudel.

I think I know what they're doing - rebooting the franchise - and I understand why they're doing it - and frankly I'm okay with it - but their methods and choices give me some pause.

Like Warped9, I think Trek works best when it focuses on telling a good story first. I grew up reading all these 'Making of' books that have come out, and the one thing about TOS that makes it stand out, to me at least, is the 'Gunsmoke Test - would a Star Trek story, stripped of its scifi trappings, still make an entertaining 'Gunsmoke' story? If not, then it's probably not one that should be told in the first place.' That has always struck me as being something that later series didn't adhere to as well as TOS - and even TOS didn't always adhere to it. in that regard, I can completely see where Warped9 is coming from.

I am a fan of 'Star Trek.' Generally, I will find a way to enjoy whatever 'Star Trek' is put before me, unless it's absolutely beyond redemption Godawful. I'm going in to see the new movie hopeful, like I have in the past - but this time the potential reward is even greater, because of what they're doing, and therefore so is the potential let-down.

6. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I get your passion, but there haven't been "droves" of Star Trek fans in a long, long time. I'd argue since around 1986, when Star Trek peaked with TVH. A lot of new fans came on board because of TNG but that doesn't necessarily translate to being fans of the entire franchise. Besides, many of these new TNG fans loved the series but moved on when it ran its course the way most people do.

Personally, I love TOS and have enjoyed some of the rest, but I couldn't care less what happens to the "franchise" while I'm very excited to see what happens next with TOS characters.

And Warped9, I respect your decision to vote with your wallet: I hope someday there will be new Trek ( or science fiction) you enjoy.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Ticket prices were rising long before downloading became a practice because home viewing with vhs and dvd rentals were cutting into movie attendance. This is no different than what has happened with music sales--technology has changed the nature of the market and both the music and film industries will have to adapt. And it's already beginning to happen--just as music can now be downloaded for a small fee from sites like the iTunes store and others the same will likely begin to happen with films. You can already do it with TV shows.

I will say this that if I really like a film and want it as part of my video collection then I will pay because I want the best quality transfer as well as sometimes the extras that come with the dvd.

8. stonester1

No.

So...because there are various kinds of wrondoers/sinners in the world, that makes it ok?

No, it doesn't.

I'm not perfect. But then, I don't try to excuse my own wrongdoing, either.

9. stonester1

The people stealing this stuff don't give a damn. They think they are entitled.

Who are you to judge?

:klingon:

You are absolutely right, btw.

10. stonester1

But that doesn't excuse stealing/pirating.

We don't need to "adapt" to crime.

And those doing damage to the industry taking advantage of the illicit use of technology need to at least come to terms with their culpability.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And the argument can be made that those hardworkin' folk are crooks themselves for making this and trying to pass it off as TREK, much as a counterfeiter does his false currency. So tit for tat. (Doesn't make it right, but does keep the field level.)

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it's the opposite: "Spock's Brain" got me hooked and the new movie sounds far too cerebral for me to enjoy it. Abrams desecrated the holy spirit of Star Trek, etc.

13. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

Blablabla, as usual... :vulcan:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There you're wrong.

The music industry is already rethinking it's hardline approach to downloading because it's a losing battle, and because they're alienating potential customers. That's why they're talking to the ISP's about working out something where for a nominal extra charge per month (or something along those lines) you can download music to your heart's content. Concurrently sales of music CD's are ever shrinking and it likely won't be very long before they may cease to exist altogether. It'll happen with TV shows and film if it isn't happening already.

I'm not making excuses for myself and I also have no problem with catching the occasional film at no cost. What's happening is that the nature of the middleman between music artist/performers and film makers is changing. The internet has undermined the control of the distributors that called the shots for decades and decades.

Also what is music and film? You are never really buying the originals in terms of the original master recordings. A music Cd, a DVD or a film at the cinema is mearly a copy of the original to begin with. What's changing in the market is the medium in which these things are being conveyed to the public.

15. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Warped9, I don't find myself agreeing with you very often..but on this point I'm with you 100%

16. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to watch Julia Roberts movies, mostly to look at a woman whose mouth is big enough to hold my penis and both testicles at once.

A new Julia Roberts movie opened up a few weeks ago, but I didn't go to the theater.

I've moved on.

Anyone care to discuss these facts for four pages?

Joe, can't remember the slang for it

17. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I, for one, absolutely plan to see it.

First, I'm going to illegally download it.

Then, I'm going to buy the Riffrax for it. I will watch Mike and the (former) bots rip it to shreds.

Then I will delete the movie from my hard drive forever.

Mmm... I think I just came in my mouth a little bit.

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Isn't it that what those people at these 'tea parties' around the US do... teabagging ;) :D

BTW: What's keeping me out of the theatre: the next two and a half weeks. I bought my tickets today; will see the film on Wednesday, May 6th :)

19. stonester1

But there is legally obtaining a copy, and there is stealing copies.

Are you legally obtaining your copies?

If not, you are stealing, full stop.

If you are cool with stealing, that's your thing. But don't act like it's justified or right.

You mean you have no problem with stealing. Technology reducing your risk and increasing your convenience doesn't make it any less so.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ There's another issue. File sharing is a legal no-no in the States, but not yet here in Canada. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009