what were YOU thinking!!!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 14, 2008.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise's second season. Carbon Creek, Dead Stop, Marauders, Precious Cargo, Dawn, Stigma, Canamar, The Crossing. What were they thinking when those episodes got approved. The other episodes weren't much to talk about either.

2. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the one where voyager went faster than warp 10

3. KayArr

KayArr Commander Red Shirt

Sela--completely ruined Yesterday's Enterprise for me, can't even watch that episode anymore. Blech.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why not? You reckon Tuvok and Neelix should be consigned forever to remain in one body?

Granted, Mrs Tuvok is a highly logical being, and may have understood, but how would you have explained your decision (to let the new lifeform live) to Samantha Wildman if the newly-formed conjoined entity had been Naomi and Neelix, or Naomi and Tuvok?

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

All those TNG episodes that were magically resolved in the last few minutes.

6. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

That is my biggest complaint of the first two seasons.

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

There are quit a few examples, but the ones that stick out for me are:

1 Turning Quark into a woman
    2 Blowing up the Enterprise D
    3 Space Hippies
    4 Paris Janeway slug sex
    5 Making the cast of Enterprise holo characters in thier own finale

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

DS9 is my favorite series, and I loved the cat and mouse game of 'For the Uniform' for the majority of the episode, but hated hated hated the part where Sisko poisons the Maquis planet and only Worf barely utters the beginning of a protest to what the bridge crew clearly all thought was wrong.

It's not as if I have a problem with dark stories or questionable actions by my favorite characters either, because 'In the Pale Moonlight' is brilliant and I can still find Sisko sympathetic at the end of it, but in 'For the Uniform' he's a straight up villain just as he says, and it's hard to find his actions redeemable. Yeah, yeah, I know the whole point of the episode was that he was supposed to be Javert, but I think they went overboard with it.

But also difficult to swallow is that there are no consequences from Starfleet and no protests or reconsideration of Sisko's standing from his crew. They made them all look like mindless robots "just following orders." They should have had someone refuse the order at least, and what better way to do it then to have Worf be the one?

The episode was wrapped up too neatly for my tastes. All the Maquis just happened to be able to evacuate the entire planet in minutes and the Cardassians and Humans were able to switch planets and live happily ever after, and don't mind the potential mass murder that almost just occurred.

There are worse episodes of both DS9 and other series by far, but this one is a biggie for me because it betrayed the character of Sisko (and the rest of the senior staff to a lesser extent) and basically tossed his sense of ethics out the window.

9. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Revisiting the events of TNG's The Pegasus in the series finale of Enterprise. I mean... WTF?

10. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Re: what were they thinking?

Hiring Fred Frieberger
    Letting Trek be put onto a network (UPN)
    Avoiding using science-fiction authors (after original Trek)
    Trying to resolve BOBW in just two episodes

Catering to casual Trek viewers who think Trek is just "fun" when making those 80s movies (and die-hards who think anything that comes out of the original characters' mouths is classic)

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that "Carbon Creek," along with "First Flight," was one of the highlights of season two.

12. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your daughter is for all intents and purpsoes dead, and the only way to revive her would be to kill another sentient being. I can't allow that.

13. armyofdaleks

armyofdaleks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Janeway sacrificed one person who'd existed for a few days for two people who'd been alive years, had familes and stuff. Personally that's one of my favourite Voyager eps because of the hard decision Janeway has to make. A great performance by Kate.

14. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

The warp speed limit, TNG:"Force of Nature". WTF? :wtf:

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Even TPTB thought that was a mistake, which is why it was ignored in DS9, Voyager and the TNG movies.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

^I wondered what happened to that.

17. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Voyager's moving nacelles were techno-justified as being part of Voyager's new 'eco-friendly' warp drive. Although I'm pretty sure that wasn't mentioned on-screen so.. nevermind.

18. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I don't believe TNG is dead. If TOS could return for TUC after the turd that we shall call TFF, then TNG can come back after the turd we shall call NEM. My hope is we'll see a successful miniseries based on all three 24th century shows on a cable channel. Six months later, they'll release it on DVD just before the next miniseries is aired. Repeat annually. I want to know more about Picard, the Enterprise-E, the Rikers, Titan, the Siskos, Defiant, Bashir and Esri, Worf, Tom and B'Lanna, Voyager, etc.

19. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

^^But TFF was a turd with characters that had been around for 40 years and people were willing to forgive this misstep because anyway you look at it-these characters are/were more like old friends than anything else. TNG never had that appeal.

20. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

IIRC, that was addressed. Voyager's warp engines had gel-packs, which were environmentally friendly. (From this came the immortal line: "Get this cheese to sickbay!") They tilted for greater efficiency as well, again IIRC. I don't think it was mentioned specifically regarding Defiant, and that ship came a bit before Voyager if the registry numbers are any indication (74205 & 74656), although Defiant was the first of its class and Voyager was preceded at least by the USS Intrepid if not others in that class. Anyone know more?