Spoilers What we know about the new DIS characters so far

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Cake, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-woman-captain-916866
    http://tvline.com/2016/08/10/star-trek-discovery-amanda-grayson-spoilers-cast/

- roughly 7 lead characters
    - will focus on female lead, rank: lieutenant commander, likely played by a non white actress
    - a gay character
    - maybe Amanda Grayson
    - more aliens in the cast than older series
    - new aliens and also re-imaginings of existing aliens.
    - an original alien character is named Saru
    - robots
    - in a potential 2nd season old familiar characters might appear

Not quite confirmed, but THR also wrote this:

"Sources tell THR the rest of the cast also will feature an openly gay actor to play one one of the male leads (which Fuller confirmed), a female admiral, a male Klingon captain, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor."

2. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

So far, the series unfolding before us through the eyes of a crew member and not the command staff sounds very interesting.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

At first I didn't read the whole thing and I misunderstood the thing about the main character not having the rank of captain. I assumed it meant that the ship would be something on the level of a light destroyer commanded by an officer of Lt. Cmdr. rank instead of Capt. It didn't occur to me that the main character would not be the commanding officer of the ship.

This sounds rather interesting.

Kor

Spider likes this.
  4. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I just hope that the sources of THR are wrong or that the characters mentioned there are not all part of the leads. Only two female characters and again an overload of male characters is not what I would call diverse casting.

5. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I find that doubtful. The mention of 7 leads (or 7 primary cast members) doesn't match up with how many characters have been mentioned.

It's likely that some of them (maybe the doctor, Advisor or Admirals?) are more recurring in line with previous Trek stars like Garak, Barclay etc. Established characters consistent throughout but not part of Lt Commander's immediate circle. Say - for example - if she's in charge of a team and her team are the leads, the others (captain, admirals, doctor etc) would be supplemental/recurring - much like SG1 had a full base staff outwith the core team.

Or something. And from reading it I suspect some things will change between now and the final story. Between having something planned, and even half arced out, to casting to final scripts and even filming - a lot can change as they go.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume most of those will be recurring characters, which I hope they do like DS9 and make them interesting in their own right.

Though with two admirals on the list, one will be mad and the other will be plain evil :lol: