What was Roddenberry favorite movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Stardate, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That is probably true...

2. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

TMP, absolutely. And with nearly every film after that he always sent out memo's pushing his ideas for the Enterprise crew to head back in time to the 1960's and interact with JFK before his assasination.

There were reports too that he was especially hurt by the destruction of the original 1701 in ST 3 because that was his baby. It was just an object being destroyed, "she" was being killed, like any other main character.

3. Peach Wookiee

^Or like planes in WWII. He dealt with people who served in Vietnam whose attitude was that you could always get another plane. True, but it wouldn't be that plane.

4. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    Which particular members of the Post-TMP film production crew served in Vietnam? :confused:

TGT

5. Peach Wookiee

I'm not entirely sure...

6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, Bennett compared his attitude toward the E to his attitude toward choppers in Korea, not Vietnam.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    Which Bennett must have divined second (or, far more likely, eight thousand three hundred and forty seventh) hand from actual veterans considering that he never even saw combat in the Korean theater.

TGT

8. Peach Wookiee

Thanks, Strudel! :bolian:

9. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

"Eight thousand three hundred and fourty-seventh?" Seriously, I can certainly accept secondhand, obviously, but the idea that he wouldn't even have any contact with somebody that did see combat is a bit unlikely. I mean, my dad's non-combat military, but I'd trust him to know a lot more about combat and war situations than somebody who wasn't in the military.
    But then, it is an established scientific principal that anyone who got started on Trek after TMP is a scoundrel, so I'm probably wrong. Bennett probably just destroyed the Enterprise specifically to tick off Roddenberry for leaking Spock's death in TWoK (which, itself, was a real admirable, even saintly thing to do).

10. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be interested in knowing what Roddenbery's favorite non-Star Trek movie was.

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Debbie Does Dallas

12. Peach Wookiee

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Pretty Maids All in a Row. :bolian:

14. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I wonder what he thought (or thinks, as space/time is not the ridgid thing we percieve it to be) about a lot of things. Fascinating guy, I think I'll see if I can find that authorized biography today.

15. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well . . . he was originally from Texas, after all.

16. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Cannot recall where I saw this, but after the release of TSFS, I definitely saw a piece wherein Rodenberry commented that he liked it quite a bit and had sent a congratulatory telegram to Nimoy.

Proably a newspaper article or Starlog interview.

So, perhaps that was his second favorite after TMP.

Sir Rhosis

17. darthvincor

darthvincor Commander Red Shirt

You're so wrong. My calculations confirm it is actually closer to 99.99856%.

18. Peach Wookiee

19. Steve Gennarelli

Steve Gennarelli Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would guess "ST:TMP" since that was his film. However, I think he would enjoy and
    appreciate "The Voyage Home" since it has the wonderful message about the importance of life on our planet more specifically "the humpback whales". The fact that the film had little to know violence and it showcased the great "Trek" characters, I don't see how he couldn't have loved that film. Plus it did so well financially, it proved that "Star Trek" was still a vital property and the success of that film along with how well the original series was still doing in syndicated reruns even in the mid 80's is what gave Paramount the green light to do TNG.

20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

TNG was green-lit before STIV premiered. As I recall, mostly because Paramount was becoming concerned with Shatner and Nimoy's salary demands, so they began looking into a way to continue StarTrek at a lower cost.

Allyn Gibson likes this.