What tropes in science fiction annoy you?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Quick fix technobabble

"The engine core is going to explode in 5 minutes!

"I could construct a tachyon inverse polarity field!

"Do it!"

2. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recall an analysis I came across some years ago. You're right, it won't work. These feats would create intolerable stresses. Realistically, the biological parts of a cyborg's body are much too frail.

3. Tim Walker

As was mentioned in the Babylon 5 thread, the difficulty of reverse engineering is magnified if the technology uses unknown principles.

There may have been too many technological revolutions between your tech and theirs for you to duplicate it within any reasonable time.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No shit, that is why i find the trope annoying.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

See people will flame me for saying this but this is how I felt about Sunshine.

It started off good but in the middle it feels like it changed to a different movie.

maneth likes this.
  6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Why do you think you’ll get crap for that, it’s one of the examples I had in mind. Event horizon was geared more that way, but still went over the top. Could list plenty more. Life is a recent one that kinda went the same way. Can list plenty more, but Sunshine is a perfect example

maneth likes this.
  7. Gingerbread Demon

Because people seem to love that movie and on other boards when I have pointed that out they go nuts so I'm now cautious to criticize movies like that.

Personally I LOVED Life and I think it was the silly humans that made their own demise.

8. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

To expand on something said up-topic: Military=eeeeeeeevil.

1) The idea that anyone and everyone in uniform wants war and will do anything to start a war just so they can get their glory. Sorry, but nobody in their right mind wants to go to war, and we don't keep people in service who aren't in their right mind.

2) High-ranking generals and admirals whose default advice to the President is "Nuke them into the Stone Age."

TREK_GOD_1 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had no idea about that whole aspect of Sunshine when my mom and I went see it, and we were both rather confused when it suddenly turned into a slasher flick. Especially since she doesn't do slasher flick, and I hadn't gotten into them yet at that point. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing any of that in the trailers or promotion.

10. Gingerbread Demon

IKR

It's like the director had some kind of mental fit halfway through the film and thought "ah what the hell" let's do a slasher movie instead then at the end they remembered it was a scifi about restarting the Sun. Yeah OK.

At least it wasn't Supernova now that was a scifi movie with lots of on and off set troubles.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I was talking more about attitudes and culture than tech. Here's what Andromeda series creator Robert Hewitt Wolfe had to say on the subject:

Snaploud likes this.
  12. Gingerbread Demon

I like the way Mr Wolfe thinks... Now to see Nietzscheans do that to the Klingons would be fun.

13. Tim Walker

Found a Trek BBS thread-How Difficult Is It To Reverse Engineer Technology?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Another good one: A bad guy not being able to feel pain. Which means when you shoot him, stab, whatever, he doesn’t slow down.

Not feeling it is fine, but you bleed out of break an arm all the same. Not feeling pain just means you can’t react to damage.

15. Gingerbread Demon

They did that in one of the Bond movies with Pierce Brosnan. One of the bad guys was immune to pain so took a lot of beating. I think it was "Tomorrow Never Dies"

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate the trope of the selfish hero (most often American) who will kill, maim, and abandon anyone who isn't in their inner circle (family, love interest, member of their unit). It grates even more when anyone who does perform an altruistic act is almost immediately punished, bitten, shot, or betrayed for being stupid enough to be kind. It says a lot about the psyche of the American viewers but as a Brit I find myself hoping the hero gets killed sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It gets used a lot. Deadpool had the same thing. Not feeling pain is great, but when you're run through the chest with a sword, or fall 100+ feet off of a carrier, you still die. Cool that you didn't feel anything, just as dead.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

Deadpool. I must be the odd person out again because I just can't get into that character. And some of the most recent Marvel movies I haven't liked.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Boo! I think Deadpool was great, and it's just such a perfect casting. Ryan Reynolds was born for that role, he's been essentially playing him for like 20 years of acting. Plus it let him vent about Green Lantern :lol:

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  20. Gingerbread Demon

And I'm at polar opposites here I liked the Green Lantern movie