What shows were on opposite Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Have-Not, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mike Have-Not

Mike Have-Not Captain Captain

SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol
    During its initial three season network run, what shows were on the other two major tv networks, in the same time slot?

In other words, what was Star Trek's competition? :-p

2. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

According to TV Guide The First 25 Years

1966 Thursday 8:30-9:30
    ABC-Tammy Grimes Show/Bewitch
    CBS-My Three Sons/The CBS Thursday Night Movie

1967 Friday 8:30-9:30
    ABC-Hondo
    CBS-Gomer Pyle/The CBS Friday Night Movie

1968 Friday 10PM
    ABC-Judd, For the Defense
    CBS-The CBS Friday Night Movie

3. Mike Have-Not

Thanks!

Hmmm...

Personally, I would much rather have watched Star Trek than any of those other shows!

But, considering the huge cost of the show, I'm thinking NBC felt they needed Star Trek to garner a much larger chunk of the viewing audience than it did...

Still, the choice, for me, would've been an easy one :-p

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

My parents did not like Trek, and in fact, made fun of it. They watched My Three Sons, and Gomer Pyle for sure. I guess they did the Friday night movie too, but at that age, I was in bed by 8:30 so I don't remember what they watched past that.

I remember so wanting to watch My Three Sons, as it had kids on it. Nope, bedtime for me.

5. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should be noted that The Tammy Grimes Show was a flop and was quickly replaced by The Dating Game, and later in the season by That Girl (which switched timeslots with Bewitched).

Likewise, Hondo the next year was another failed series, and was replaced midway through the season by Operation: Entertainment.

Star Trek's lead-ins on NBC during its run:
    First season: Daniel Boone
    Second season: Tarzan
    Third season: The Name of the Game

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Been catching some of Daniel Boone the last couple of months, and while I don't recall watching back then, I am liking it now. I would think it was a pretty-good lead-in for TOS.

They both have a similar feel to them, IMO:

Boone (as portrayed by Fess Parker) would probably get along pretty well with Kirk. (Parker would have rocked as a guest-star in TOS!) And Mingo is a sort of Spock figure to Boone's Kirk, if you want to draw the analogy.

7. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    In other words, stuff basically nobody remembers - other than Star Trek. Say what you will, but most people (with access to pop culture) have at least heard of it.

Looks like Star Trek got the last laugh.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Three Sons and Gomer Pyle aren't really all that lost to the mists of time. Gomer is the more remembered of those two, though.

9. Mike Have-Not

Yesm but there aren't Gomer Pyle conventions held every weekend somewhere in the world :-p

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that is the world's loss. I would absolutely show up in my Sgt. Carter costume.

;)

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Golllllleeeee.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And Bewitched is probably better-remembered than either of those.

Not to mention that the movie nights probably got pretty high ratings. Remember, they didn't have home video yet, or even cable, so networks' "____day Night Movies" would've been the only opportunity for most audiences to see theatrical movies that were no longer in theaters. So a show competing against a movie-of-the-week slot would've probably been at a much bigger disadvantage in the 1960s than it would be today.

Looking at the actual ratings of Trek's competitors: In the 1966-7 season, Bewitched was #8 and The CBS Thursday Night Movie was #30. In 1967-8, Gomer Pyle was #3 (!) and The CBS Friday Night Movie was #15. So ST was up against some respectable competition.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, speaking only for myself, this is not entirely true. I was too young to see any of these in their first run, but I know of Gomer Pyle, seen a few episodes, but never really got into it.

And Bewitched, well, not only did I watch the reruns growing up in the 1970's (sometimes they were on right before TOS), but that entire series is on the shelf right below my TOS DVD's.

14. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

For some reason I'm now imagining Jim Neighbors (Gomer Pyle) making a guest appearance on Star Trek. Maybe he could've played a red-shirt "security guard of the week".

Kirk: "Ensign Pyle, take up position in those bushes over there, and alert us if you see any aliens."

Moments later...."Hooty-Hoot!!! Hooty-Hoot!!!"

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sulu: "There a Klingon ship, closing fast."

Pyle: "Well surprise surprise surprise."

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm sure Pyle would tell Kirk that "them Klingon fellers aint so bad." and solve the problem with out firing a shot. Or the Klingons would all commit ritual suicide after Pyle regales them with story after story of Grandpa/Grandma Pyle.

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is a good thing, considering there would probably be pugil stick fights in the hotel hallways over how green the fatigues should be.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Don't forget that "The Danny Thomas Show" begat "The Andy Griffith Show", which begat "Gomer Pyle USMC", which led to cousin Goober starring in "Mayberry RFD", which lent Goober to "Hee Haw", and then we had reunion telemovies like "Return to Mayberry".

And, of course, Floyd's Barber Shop is visible briefly in TOS.

19. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

My family would have been watching Gomer Pyle and My Three Sons--certainly not a "weird" show like Star Trek.