What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Aug 31, 2011.

1. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan

2. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Greg Bear, but wasn't terribly impressed with Hull Zero Three. I'm not sure why, exactly. I haven't read all of his stuff, but Eon is the best of what I have read.

I'm about a quarter way through Jack Vance's The Demon Princes.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have to agree. The first half of Hull Zero Three in particular was kind of tiresome to get through.
    But there are definitely some intriguing ideas in it.

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished 11/22/63 by King. Thought he would take a cop out ending, like too many mainstream authors do when writing scifi. You know, where they wrap their stories in a way or with a trope that real scifi authors dropped as trite 40 yrs ago. he didn't. Pleasant surprise.

5. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

City at the Edge of Time is another Bear book I had trouble getting into.

I'd recommend Blood Music, Eon, and perhaps Darwin's Radio (but not the sequel).

The book I finished recently was Deus Ex: Icarus Effect. It was very average, unfortunately. I'd recommend it only if you are a huge fan of the game.

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm currently reading World War Z and decided to try to plow through the Harry Potter Books. But quite frankly the first couple of HP books are slow going.

7. Felidae

Felidae Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Uh, haven't continued reading 2001 yet, but yesterday I finished The Quiet: A Novella by Robert S. Wilson, and today The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel by Iain Rob Wright. Both not bad, but pretty short books.

Started Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass today and The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair that changed America by Erik Larson yesterday.
    Also quickly dipped into Return of the King today, the only book in the LotR trilogy I haven't read yet. But that was just a few pages.

I love having an e-reader, makes it so easy to switch books when you're in the mood for something else. Used to have a pile of books laying around, now it's just one little gadget. :bolian:

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished the ST:Vanguard novella anthology Declassified, starting What Judgements Come. I liked the stories in the collection, and there was a very amusing reference to the semi-mythical Enterprise bowling alley. The death of one of the characters was pretty well telegraphed, but that's about my only quibble.

I wonder who might be good to play Diego Reyes in a movie/tv version of this...

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Devil... is a good book, but not what I expected. Am looking at the new online Scalzi novel, thinking about buying it.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Adding Jasper Fforde's new Thursday Next, The Woman Who Died a Lot; Jablokov's Carve the Sky; Donald Kingsbury's Courtship Rite and Psychohistorical Crisis.

And a literary superhero novel (with comic strips) whose title I can't quite remember, something about A Sky Once Crowded.

This is going to take a while, especially since I've gotten distracted by Elkins and McKitrick's Age of Federalism, which is a real page turner.

11. Klaus

Finished What Judgements Come and Storming Heaven, the wrap-up of the ST:Vanguard series.

Damn. Only New Frontier compares IMHO. Freakin' awesome.

I also have the whole last Borg invasion series now, but I'm going to go to some other sf for now, probably back to the Moorcock books I started and set aside a while back.

12. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This afternoon I began "Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism" by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden. It's pretty awesome so far - recommended.

13. Klaus

Wasn't in the mood for Moorcock ATM, so I returned to the Enderverse [I read Ender's Game for the first itme last summer]... I read Speaker for the Dead yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I think I like it better than Game, actually. On to Xenocide now.

I'm going to think of it whenever I hear "Piggies" by the Beatles now. :lol:

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

With the Wheel of Time now completed, I've decided to get back into the books (which I'd started years ago but never finished). I read The Eye of the World last year, so now I'm working on The Great Hunt. :techman:

15. Klaus

Finished Xenocide... yikes. My thoughts are thoroughly provoked. :lol: :eek: Certainly one of the most interesting takes on FTL travel. What should we call it -- the "If-wishes-were-starships Drive"? :D

16. Felidae

Felidae Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Peter V. Brett's Desert Spear.. is fantasy.. been a while since I've read really fantasy. :)