What Sci-fi aspect from TV or movies would you like to see happen in real life?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You guys are just trying to make my nightmares come true. (Seriously, that scene where Godzilla sees the japanese guy through the window at the top of the skyscraper and blows him away was my childhood nightmare for years)

I mean, I love Godzilla movies, but what possible upside could ever come from Kaiju existing in real life?

Actually, there are people who would disagree with the Walking Dead. Something about the simplicity of a 'back to nature' life with no bosses, noisy neighbors, etc, combined with the standing permission to smash the crap out of zombies (like squishy stress balls) apparently has a certain appeal.

For myself, I'll agree with replicators and holodecks. I'd also really like a universal book (I don't think this has ever been in any sci-fi shows/movies that I know of - I saw it in Angel, where it was obviously magic, but I bet technology could make it happen). That is a book which has the perfect feel of a regular bound book, but the pages are basically e-reader tech so it can load any book you want it to. I also want my own Wall-E and a real Dinosaur Zoo (no carnivores allowed).

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time Travel for me. I’m a nostalgia junky. I’d also like a perception filter, or SEP field so that I could explore the past without provoking the locals.

A universal translator, or babel fish would come in handy for my travels.

A flying car would be bloody marvellous.

A dream recorder would come in handy.

I wouldn’t say no to my own holodeck. With a simulated movie studio, I could make that fan movie I always wanted.

Access to parallel realities would be awesome. I could watch Babylon 5 as JMS intended.

The arrival of friendly aliens.

Contact with the spirit world.

Genetic manipulation, with nanobots . The ones that correct physical flaws, and give you gills. Effectively giving us all immortality.

These are all things I’d like for myself. Don’t know if I’d like to live in a world where everyone lives for ever, can travel through time and cross realities, converse with the dead and alter other people’s perceptions.

A perception filter would compliment a world that had eliminated death. The population could explode all around us, but we wouldn’t notice it.

ETA. Forgot about miniaturisation. Would add an entirely new dimension to the model railway hobby. And help me complete the fine detailing on my models.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yes. Yes you are.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

How would they be relics if you took them away from the timeline?

I take the liberty bell away. There will be no liberty bell in the future. I'd rather buy a couple Action Comic #1 at the newspaper stand in 1938 and then sell them in 2018. Mint condition.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps antiques is a better word than relics. Old comics would be a good choice. Baseball Cards as well. There is also something that you can make money off but I am not sure where one would go to sell it or how to verify it as real but go back in time and film historical events so people can see how they really happened. As a Sports fan I think I could make a killing off old Babe Ruth Yankee games on film, alone.
    It also doesn't have to be so elaborate. GO back and bring food back from a time before people started putting chemicals and steroids in them. One nice homemade Apple pie from 1955 I think would taste better than anything you get today thus you can make money off selling it. In fact bringing food that is healty from the past would make a killing because everyone knows one of the main reasons people don't eat healthy is the cost of healthy food. You can get that food and sell it for more than you purchased but less than is the going rate today.

Jason

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

An even better way would be to go back to when companies like Microsoft or McDonalds are first starting out and become one of their first investors or buy massive amounts of stock super, super cheap.
    I thought of a couple more for me, time travel or travel to alien planets. I love learning about other cultures and this would be a great way to do it. It could also be fun to with time travel to compare how things really were vs how modern pop culture imagines they were. Granted most of the reality probably wouldn't be great compared to today, but it could still be interesting to actually experience it first hand temporarily.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That depends on where he comes ashore. If he landed somewhere in the states, that would suck, but if he were to get the itch to stomp through, say, North Korea, while Kim Jong-Un was staging a military parade, I'd grab some popcorn and a Cherry Coke and enjoy the show.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What do you mean? You take it to someone that specializes in the area. Get it appraised. An auction house or something.

-Go back in time to 1938. Buy the comic
    -Pop back to 2018. Make up some story about finding them. Get someone to give you an estimate about how much they cost.
    -

9. Jayson1

With comics and most stuff I think people would be suspicious if you started showing up with all these great things from the past and they are always in mint condition so they would think you were somehow creating fake objects and selling them as antiques or old stuff. You would have to kind of do the Berlinghoof Rassmussen thing and sale these objects once every 6 months to a year unless you travel around to different places. You could let greed kind of mess up you profit though by taking to much stuff from the past and I don't even know how you would convince that filmed stuff from the history is real. They would think the real Abraham Lincoln on film is just some guy you paid to put on the outift and act or you used computer graphics.

Jason

Samurai8472 likes this.
  10. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Talking raccoons.

Admiral2 likes this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mind melds. Say you love someone, but aren't sure if they feel it too or are just fucking with your head.

Never be unsure again.:)

Plus... mind meld sex where you feel everything they feel, and vice-versa.

Admiral2 likes this.
  12. Butters

Mind meld sex would be awful. Calling someone the wrong name is bad, but at least you can get away with thinking it. What if your biggest turn on is gross to your partner, or demeaning, or vice versa. Being compared to past lovers, favourably or otherwise.

Nah, sex is intimate, but it’s also private.

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Synthehol. Some might say where is the fun when you can't get drunk (Scotty for instance). I'd like to drink without bad effects on my body like tons of calories or staggering around.
    A home edition holodeck might offer some exciting fitness possibilities, like an Olympic sized swimming pool.

14. Jayson1

I want helicopter blades to be able to come out of my head, along with with handle bars to pilot me as I fly around.

Jason

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to be able to communicate with animals, there are times I'd love to know what exactly is going through my dogs' heads.

16. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The kind of society depicted in Star Trek, socially, ethically, philosophically, technologically and politically. But obviously not with the alien invasions/spatial anomalies.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The Terran Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers (the book), so I can see guys in ape-like battle suits dust anything that comes near 'em.

EDIT: Yeah, I know...TV or movies, but the movie version of the MI is lame by comparison.

18. Butters

Star Trek hasn’t depicted a society though, just the lives of the cream of the cream. I’d like to see what the other trillion citizens that don’t have Starfleet careers or vineyards do before signing up to that one.

Admiral2 likes this.
  19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

For me personally? All kinds of stuff.

In general? Arrival of (non-end of the world) aliens or near-disaster of some sort that forces us to get our heads out of our asses and work together. Don't have to do the 'dress alike, all on the same team' thing, but definitely need something to make us look up instead of circling the drain...

20. Butters

A global truth field wrapped around the world like the one on Trenzalore. No one can lie or fail to answer.