What Scene Drives You Crazy

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Spock's Barber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More along the lines of "Maybe you should try to look for solutions that don't involve harming others who had nothing to do with it."

Kirk's trying not to encourage Deela to continue doing what she did to them. It's another bluff. She's darn fortunate a Federation Starfleet ship happened upon them and not somebody with fewer scruples about what constitutes an acceptable response to the incident. Note that Kirk doesn't answer her question. He lets her think what she does for now. But he does recognize that they ought to have help, and if significant help was offered, they wouldn't feel the need to resort to such tactics. With the water having an antidote, Federation scientists can, in order to interact with the Scalosians in "real time", drink it and be very careful, then take the antidote afterwards. Or they can just communicate in a series of delayed messages. Any samples needed can be taken by the Scalosians and left for the doctors to analyze.

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, the issue is not the presence of knives, but the fact that they were flying HILT first towards the ship. Who the hell hallucinates that????

Markonian likes this.
  3. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That big clicky-clacky circuit board in engineering.
    It wouldn't look out of place on a Titanic-era liner.I really wish someone would replace it with a decent cgi display.

4. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, not quite. Something from the Titanic era would look more like this.

[​IMG]

But if everything about Trek TOS that looks the least bit "dated" drives you crazy, you must be a full-blown raving psychotic by now!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    JonnyQuest037 and Vger23 like this.
  5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Bullshi...:barf:

I don't recall anything about it that is "clicky-clacky." Don't assume you know its limitations based on that fact it was produced in the 1960s. Maybe it IS a cgi display and it's just showing what it needs to. Panels/screens that clearly display information are WAY better than JJswoosh-JJzoom-cover-everything-with-distracting-grafix.

'MUH GRAFIX!

UnknownSample likes this.
  6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the masonite board with the holes and the sliding panel behind, I don't have a hard time believing that thing clicked or clacked a little!
    [​IMG]

That display never bothered me at all. But I was not crazy about this one in TWOK, it looked like something from the local TV station:
    [​IMG]

7. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And her amused smirk in return.
    Apparently John Wayne was un-available that week.
    Given what the Scalosians had already done and what they were planning to do, I think Kirk and Spock were being exceedingly and unnecessarily polite to Deela.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Markonian and UnknownSample like this.
  8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I never figured out is where on the bridge this display/control panel is at. Which station? Augh!

J.T.B. and CorporalCaptain like this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

One thing I think we can all agree is that these computers should be used in the new look of "Discovery.":)

Jason

10. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I always thought it was simply that the Gorn and slow but are also very powerful to make up for the lack of speed. Made sense to me

11. Herbert

I almost can't watch the rampant insubordination in that episode. I know that humans reacting poorly to Spock's lack of emotion was an intentional ongoing thing in the original series but the fact that Spock is an officer makes this conduct completely unacceptable.

JonnyQuest037 and Gary Mitchell like this.
  12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They weren't on any station on the Bridge - they were extra props rented in especially for those shots

13. Herbert

There are a lot of 60s TV shows that portray women in an unkind light. I think it's the Gorn episode where Kirk vanishes from the bridge after talking with the Metron and Uhura's reaction is to let out a shocked, hysterical scream. :rolleyes: Funny how none of the men react that way. ;)

Vger23 and CorporalCaptain like this.
  14. 1001001

1001001 Do You Really Wanna Taste It? Moderator

Any scene where people continue to talk in the middle of being beamed somewhere.

Gary Mitchell and uniderth like this.
  15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, why? It's not as if they should preemptively hold their breath or stop their hearts five seconds in advance of beaming, either.

Quite regardless of whether being turned into phased matter allows you to go on moving and pumping blood, or whether it freezes you immobile in a split second and then restores you just as rapidly at the other end, any "anticipation" is unnecessary, and any "interruption" would be invisible to the users themselves.

Never forget that the transporter from the get-go is necessarily established as a device that takes people from A in one pose and puts them to B in a different pose - the fact that the actors move from set A to set B absolutely dictates the change of pose. Ergo, moving while being transported is a characteristic of the device we must accept.

Timo Saloniemi

16. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hands-down, for me it's:

Hail, hail, fire and snow.
    Call the angel, we must go
    Far away, for to see
    Friendly angel, come to me

A close second is:

Stiff man putting my mind in jail
    And the judge bang the gavel and say no bail.
    Gonna lick his hand and wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ag my tail.

Spock's Barber likes this.
  17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

In the episode "the Immunity Syndrome" McCoy is talking to Spock about how he knew 400 Vulcans died across all that space. McCoy seemed generally curious but then Spock says

"I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours.”

To me Spock is being a bit of a jerk and his attitude toward McCoy was unwarranted.

Also in the episode "The Which Survives" Kirk is a bit of a jerk to Sulu a couple of times that makes me cringe.

Sulu: Once in Siberia there was a meteor so great that it flattened whole forests and was felt as far...

Captain James T. Kirk: [interrupting] Mr. Sulu, if I'd wanted a Russian history lesson I'd have brought along Mr. Chekov.

Spock's Barber likes this.
  18. Herbert

I recall Kirk being kind of dickish to Sulu on more than one occasion.

Gojira likes this.
  19. Herbert

That's one of the episodes that I don't think I'll ever watch again. What a stinker

WRStone, Gojira and Spock's Barber like this.
  20. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Which is entirely redeemed by the fact that they show the Federation banner, that cool arboretum, and icecream.

plynch and Mytran like this.