What is your Personal Canon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BobtheGunslinge, Jan 14, 2014.

1. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

I see canon as every episode of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all ten of the original films. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. :bolian:

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything is canon except Neelix. And Wesley's rainbow outfit; which is a futuristic Houston Astros jersey. The 'Astros' part just fell off.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

To me canon is the subset of things that appeared on screen that make the universe the most interesting.

So in other words, you only subtract out things that ruin previously established things. Like the destruction of Romulus or Trip's death.

Stuff from novels and games are only canon if they make the universe more interesting.

My distaste for NuTrek has more to do with deviation from TOS than deviation from the spinoffs.

ToS Kirk:
    -Gets a giant object not to kill him by pretending he's carrying Corbomite on board
    -Convinces a sentient weapon of mass destruction to destroy itself
    -Survives a Q-like being long enough to get its Mommy and Daddy to intervene by suggesting more entertaining ways to kill him

NuTrek Kirk:
    -Shoots stuff
    -Shoots stuff
    -Shoots stuff

No wit, no tactics, no battle of wills. Just beam in and shoot stuff. Boring.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^Indeed.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I can live with (even if I don't agree with) everything that has been seen on screen as canon, however I do believe that in NuTrek the "prime" universe that is involved is in itself an alternate universe. So in the real Prime Universe Romulus is whole and hearty. Part of me also wants to put ENT into this same universe, so that the Akiraprise never existed in the Prime Universe, instead some of the characters in the series were onboard the U.S.S. Daedalus as the first Federation Starfleet ship.

Also at the end of Nemesis B-4 doesn't possess the memories of Data, since the song was in Data's recent memory buffer it was transferred but nothing else took, thus making Data's sacrifice mean something.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014