What is your honest opinion of Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by indolover, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I liked the Xindi arc, but I do agree they dragged it out too long. Way too many filler episodes that don't add enough to the mission to justify being full episodes.

Extinction: Species extinct 1,000 years ago. Virus turns other species into their species. Phlox finds cure. Outcome has zero impact on the mission. Archer goes insane and has the retrovirus stored aboard Enterprise while his ship is in a region of space where containment systems could be disrupted and the virus could be released throughout the ship. Good plan. :rolleyes:

Rajiin ... molests members of the crew to get bio-readings. Plenty of girl-on-girl action with Hoshi (off camera, sorry guys, you'll just have to use your imagination) and T'Pol. :rolleyes:

Exile: While it was nice to see Linda get an A-plot, the story was boring. It lacked real tension and the exiled alien was such an unsympathetic character that Hoshi's departure leaves behind no emotional impact. :p

North Star: In "The Xindi," Reed raises a concern about taking the word of an unsavory alien who gave Archer info on where he could find a Xindi. Archer crabs at him that time is of the essence and they haven't the luxury to be cautious. So why the heck did Archer take some time off to hang around a western town that doesn't have any useful info on the Xindi and ain't goin' anywhere? :rolleyes:

Similitude: This is my favorite ENT episode. I just love it. And yet, I have to admit it doesn't really add anything to the mission. And with apologies to TnT fans, the writers could have set up the scene in Harbinger some other way where T'Pol finally gives in to her lust for Tucker.

Doctor's Orders: Love Phlox. But this was pure filler, not to mention plagiarism.

Hatchery: The only thing the NX-01 got out of this episode that proved useful was an insectoid shuttle. That could have been achieved during a reconnaissance mission.

E2: With apologies to TnT fans, I believe this episode would have brought more value to the arc if the crew/descendants had survived and joined the armada to stop deployment of the weapon in "Countdown," and then returned to Earth with the NX-01.

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I thought the Xindi arc was great. It was reminiscent of the first season of StarBlazers..

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Xindi Arc was by far more interesting than the Temporal Cold War, because our heroes had some emotional investment in it, and stuff at stake. Wheras with TCW episodes, it was always "well, looks like someone from the future has been messing with us all along. Oh well."

Also, the Xindi were a good move, because as with the Dominion, multiple cultures were introduced as part of one antagonistic group, so that gave the writers more flexibility than a bunch of rubber people and a fuzzy hologram.

Season 4 definitley felt like a show getting on to an entirely new track. They had decided to throw the Temporal Cold War under the rug, and it was starting to really gel, and take the story in the right place, somewhere more solid, coherent, and grounded (not to mention more entertaining).

As always, this post is opinion and not empirical fact. Once again, your mileage may vary.

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I felt exactly this way too, after watching three seasons, Season 4 had found Enterprise a perfect fit.:bolian: It is a shame that we did not get another several seasons too.

5. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I loved this show it was my favorite along with TNG

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny, I always remember the Xindi arc as refreshingly uninterrupted by filler eps in contrast with what DS9 did during the dominion war. That may be because at least three of those eps Jinx listed were fantastic (E2 being my favorite ENT ep) as opposed to endless hologram eps that I recall in DS9.

7. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I didn't say they weren't good episodes, I liked several of the episodes I mentioned in my list, too. I just maintain they didn't add much to the mission and what little that was added could have been achieved with a C-plot scene.

8. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Just saw am episode where Archer kills three Zindi in relay station. Manny Coto - bad idea. Kirk would have found another way to block their transmissions. I mean c'mon, it is science fiction. Certainly didn't like the show after that not that I was watching it or enjoyed this guys approach. Bad, bad, very bad. They just wanted some of that DS9 audience. Shameless pandering not to mention immoral, while the next scene, Archer is all emo with Phlox. Shallow writing Star Trek killer..

9. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Actually, the only problem I had with that scene is that the station wouldn't be able to transmit a message for another four hours. Archer had time before it would become a threat and should have waited, making the decision only if and when it became necessary.

10. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

ENT was hot and cold for me. I thought it had the strongest start of any show. Bakula was a good choice. Liked Akiraprise as some call it. Loved the sets and uniforms.

HATED what they did with the Vulcans. I've heard all the discussions, pro and con. I simply thought it was a bad move on the part of TPTB.

I was not a fan of the whole Xindi arc, but liked a bunch of the episodes.

I really liked the change in season 4. Manny Coto and company were really telling some great, fun Trek stories. Too bad it was too little, too late.

I did not like the finale.

So that's it. It was a show that started strong, had lots of potential, and made a few missteps. Storylines were hot and cold, and it wasn't the prequel promised.