What is/are the worst or most unbelievable plot convenience device(s)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by enterprisecvn65, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: What is/are the worst or most unbelievable plot convenience device

Characters who are immune to some affliction that takes down the rest of the crew (Data, Odo, EMH, Seven).

Wesley, the kid genius, saves the day and makes the experienced officers look like fools.

Transwarp beaming, super-warp, and death cure from NuTrek.

2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Or the opposite- characters who should be immune (or so radically different that there is no common ground for influence) being affected along with regular crew.
    Picard points this out about Data being affected in 'The Naked Now'- he is not biological and the fact if he gets punctured he can leak does not address the issue- my car can leak but it cannot catch my cold. In 'Power Play' Data gets possessed right along with the other sin the away team, but again, he is a mechanical, no matter how sophisticated. I can accept a spirit could influence a living being or even an alien being could influence a positronic computer, but to have it do both equally is pushing it.

I just think Data was such an interesting character they could not help themselves but to get him involved.

3. enterprisecvn65

enterprisecvn65 Captain Captain

My parents remember that when we landed on the moon that it was the conventional wisdom that this was the first step and within 50 years there would be some moon colonies and perhaps hundreds of people would be living on the moon.

NASA had better get moving. The 50th anniversary is only 4 years away.

4. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

In Conundrum, Macduff can selectively erase everyone's memory on board, including Data AND the computer, he can implant false data in the computer and what does he do with that?

-He doesn't put himself as captain of the ship.

Why? He's from a people who's technology is about a hundred years behind Starfleet's. Yet he has no problem manipulating the computer's memory.

On one hand he's extremely skilled and knowledgeable and on the other, he's a complete IDIOT!

That's what I call plot convenience!

5. enterprisecvn65

6. enterprisecvn65

Yeah that was incredibly stupid to go to all that trouble to place yourself as 2nd in command.

Why not just make yourself captain and when Picard voices his moral objection to blowing that station to hell MacDuff could just say "Shut it. I'm in command here and I'm going to follow orders so knock it off or I'll have you thrown in the brig for insubordination."

Instead he leaves Picard in command giving him the authority to order the Enterprise to stand down until things are cleared up.

Brilliant.

7. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

^The writers could use a few lessons of mechanics.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seen in TNG.

Star Trek has always operated at the speed the plot requires.

See: "The Neutral Zone" (TNG). Also, the transporters should've ended medical science in the 24th century. Yet, they somehow kept telling new stories.

9. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

After they de-aged Pulaski using the transporter, it was obvious that they had a cure for death!

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Using the Transporter to repeat the accidental duplication of Riker in 'Second Chances'- keep a spare one in the buffer if the away team doesn't make it...

11. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

Exactly! No one can even die from an accidental death because if they do you can always retrieve their latest transporter copy. So you can't die from aging, you can't die from degenerative disease caused by old age and you can't die by accident. That makes you practically immortal.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We also shouldn't forget McCoy's magic pill from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Which allows someone to regrow a kidney in just a few minutes.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the woman didn't even have to call him in the morning.

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if it rises to the level of worst, but I thought it somewhat boring/lazy that battle commands were reduced to "Attack pattern delta" type dialog.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In the opening of ROTS, though, following the overall battle wasn't the point...the focus was on what Anakin and Obi-Wan were doing. The battle around them was supposed to be an awesome spectacle, but just backdrop. It was an exciting way to open the movie in media res, whereas taking the time to get across who was who and follow the details of the battle would have slowed down the beginning of the film.

Mind you, I'm no Lucas apologist and find plenty of fault in the prequels...but I didn't have a problem with the sequence in question. It did what it was supposed to do in the larger story.

16. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Well I don't think you are an idiot at all or I would have said so.
    I say it to idiots regularly ;)

The "wow, just wow" was the fact that I was amazed that a Star Trek fan seemed to have difficulty grasping the idea of one of the most believable gadgets in Trek history NOT being a reality in 300 years.

Three hundred years?

Recently my girlfriend's mother was in the hospital for a heart procedure and we were visiting.
    There was obviously a very high tech medical monitor on (which was completely unheard of only 40 years ago) and then the doctor came in holding a little portable device akin to Doctor McCoy's medical scanner.
    I was amazed and questioned him immediately "Wow, what is that?" The doctor replied "I am checking her vitals" It didn't make a cool sound or anything but still!

So you can't imagine something that is ALREADY happening, eventually coming to fruition is 300 years?
    Not questioning, you know, warp drive, transporters, dilithium crystals, intergalactic travel?
    That, I will grant you, may take 600 years if at all.

What about Moore's law?

"Technology is growing exponentially, and since 1400 has doubled every 200 years (analogous to a computing phenomenon known as Moore's law, applied across all technology).
    The next double-century (2000-2200) therefore promises no fewer than 150 breakthrough innovations on par with the steam engine, antibiotics and the airplane.

[​IMG]

Again, I don't think you're an idiot at all, I think you are obviously intelligent :)
    But wow....just wow (LOL)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  17. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

When?

18. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

I think he means in Bloodlines, but that wasn't transwarp.

19. enterprisecvn65

All right. Thank you for the clarification. Truce. Live long and prosper.

20. enterprisecvn65

You may have a point. It's possible by that point in the series I had had reached my breaking point with the fact Lucas had obviously decided to use these films to shove as much special effects crap on the screen as fast as possible and things like characters, plot, drama and so on were just an inconvenience to him.
    The battle on ROTS may have had a little more depth to it than what I think, but by then I was too jaded to notice.