What if the Soviets *Did* Make a "Star Trek"

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Emperor Norton, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Starfleet would still be run by white human males

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

If? Everyone knows Star Trek was originally inwented in Russia.

Greg Cox, Phoenix219, Arpy and 3 others like this.
  4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Federation would be a communist state (which some fans already insist it is). The federation would spread revolution through-out the galaxy, and be in constant conflict with the freedom loving republics of the Klingons and the Romulans.

The neutral zones would be call the iron curtains.
    While it's true that the "white Russians" were the ones (for the most part) in power, the Soviet Union overall was very diverse.

Yes Man the Great likes this.
  5. Willsky7

Willsky7 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know that there were many central Asian countries, and some East Asian people who were citizens of the Soviet Union. And despite an official anti racism policy, people from countries like Kazakhstan weren't weren't exactly free of prejudice by the people and policy. But other ethnic minorities wouldn't be immediately recognizable on screen since they are white? If I'm wrong please let me know.

6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

The Soviet Union ideologically pushed for the idea that everyone was a Soviet. The practical application was different. In actual terms, the Soviet Union remained a hegemony of Russia. This was a major cause of the dissolution of the USSR when people were permitted to speak their complaints with the Gorbachev liberalizations. But if we were talking about a series written in the 1960s, with State authority intending the future as the State ideal, you would see that reflected on screen. "Starship Earth" becomes "Starship Marxism", with figures from across the USSR represented, and probably the Warsaw Pact. And possibly someone from the PRC, depending on the moods of the widening schism. When the 1969 Border Conflict flairs up, that character would suddenly become an unperson. I'd imagine if they really wanted to go for it, they would add an African character, a Southeast Asian character, and a Latin American character to show the idealistic brotherhood of humanity under Marxism, with a soft hint that Communism won the Cold War. I would mention an American character, but that may be too deliberately provocative, if it indicates Americans fell under Communism. And if it were simply an American capitalist in space, I don't think the Soviets would laugh so much as it would open up questions of why, if Communism were within reach within the next few decades (according to the State), Capitalism still existed. And why, if Capitalism were doomed in the near future of the 1960s (according to the State), Americans still had it in some far off future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_people
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Soviet_man

7. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

Oh, and a quickie, by the way. If there were a Soviet TNG after this, there would be no Troi. Soviet ideology rejected Freudian psychology. There would also be no "Blood and Fire" even as a concept, because Soviet State ideology viewed homosexuality as a mental deviation. In STOS (Soviet The Original Series) there would also be no long haired youth demographic, because the old guard Stalinists thought that was the insidious plot of Capitalists to undermine their nation and warp the minds of their youth, and would literally pull people into a police station to give them haircuts if they were too long. That thawed by the 1970s, because the authorities gave up because they couldn't beat it. But in the 1960s, everyone is going to look "proper".

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

There would also be no Prime Directive as, I assume, the starship would be charged with spreading Leninism wherever possible and helping to uplift all societies, as well as explore the galaxy.

Greg Cox likes this.
  9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Romulan ale would not be illegal

10. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Prime Directive would simply be the line from the Russian cosmonauts from "Gilligan's Island": "Exploit Them!"
    Every time someone beams down or up or exits or comes aboard the ship, there would be someone on guard to ask "Papers please!"
    And the Klingons would be the good guys.

11. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

So we'd have a quasi military ship, representing a moneyless society where everyone works towards a common good flying round a galaxy full of cutthroat rogues causing mayhem in their search for a profit. We could call some of those characters Western or derogatory things like "Jones" or "Mudd", even create a devilish species of them that look suspiciously like parodies of Jews.

Religion would of course be downplayed within such a show and cold war allegories would regularly feature.

Not being black would hardly stop them being minorities.....

Amaris likes this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. A Soviet Trek would differ little from our Star Trek. The Capitalistic nature of the U.S., and the Communistic nature of the Soviet Union were just two sides of the same coin: an authoritarian government using patriotic fervor and the might of their military machine to enforce the notion that there is only one viable social system, and that the other guy wants to undermine you and cause your beloved way of life to end. So you must stop him in the name of freedom/brotherhood, because free market capitalism/Leninist communism is the only gateway to human advancement.

Nyotarules and Spot261 like this.
  13. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

If the Soviets made Star Trek, it would be way higher concept sci-fi than what Star Trek is. Soviets loved Science Fiction, I mean, between the 50s and 70s their entire culture was built around the idea that "We're going to go into space and move humanity forward with moon bases", their propaganda revolved heavily around space, their idealism revolved heavily around space and even their culture revolved heavily around space (USSR was extremely science and education oriented).

Now this also played into Television and Film and Soviets had quite a lot of sci-fi television shows and quite A LOT of science fiction films, in fact, the best Sci-Fi movies, come from the USSR (Solaris anyone? Arguably the best scifi movie ever next to 2001).

There is also a "Star-Trekian" Sci-fi series in the USSR that was very popular I can't remember the name, but it was about the travels of a girl in the distant future where the USSR has basically become interstellar society and it's basically just about her rocking around to different planets and time periods and exploring the cultures.

Some shots from Soviet Sci-fi
    http://notonbluray.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Teens-in-the-Universe-controller-robot.png
    http://sensesofcinema.com/assets/uploads/2017/11/Solaris-750x400.jpg
    https://www.rarefilmfinder.com/photos/5058/images/1383a6f130ff289ce2e638c3903a46e8.jpg
    https://pxhst.co/avaxhome/19/5c/00145c19.jpeg
    https://www.calvertjournal.com/imag...pril/Space_/_large_crop/Test_pilota_Pirxa.jpg https://www.calvertjournal.com/imag...ows/2015_April/Space_/_large_crop/Stars13.jpg
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
    publiusr, Spot261 and Amaris like this.
  14. ISS-Magnum

ISS-Magnum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice:_The_Girl_From_Earth

Donker likes this.
  15. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

And not nearly as good as the Lithuanian Star Trek

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen the Turkish Star Trek, but not the Lithuanian. Got a link?

17. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

No, I was joking. Sorry, I thought you were too. The idea that there was a Turkish Star Trek sounded too absurd to be true. :lol: I see now that I was wrong :brickwall:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    BillJ and CorporalCaptain like this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, the Turkish Star Trek is.... something to see! :lol:

BillJ likes this.
  19. Willsky7

Willsky7 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didnt say it wouldn't make them minorities I was saying that there would be less racial diversity.