what happens to our CBS subscriptions?

It was mentioned earlier that Nickelodeon shows will come to CBS AA/Paramount+ one year after they are shown on Nickelodeon.

By that point Prodigy won't be worth much to Paramount+, as the Trek fans that want to see it will have done it by other means (and it won't be subscribing to Nickelodeon).

By that point Prodigy won't be worth much to Paramount+, as the Trek fans that want to see it will have done it by other means (and it won't be subscribing to Nickelodeon).

I think Prodigy is aimed at a younger audience (and hopefully future Trek fans) not the existing Trek fans.

If I'm running Bell Media, I'm going to want to lock CBS down on this stuff pre-emptively.

I think Prodigy is aimed at a younger audience (and hopefully future Trek fans) not the existing Trek fans.
They don't do anything effective to cultivate young people or future fans. It's not in the DNA.

IDJ about that. CBSAA has a lot of people watching old Star Trek series and honestly expanding the fandom surrounding those. Thinking that just because the Nickelodeon series comes to CBSA/Paramount+ will not still draw subscribers, and that the Star Trek franchise doesn't continue to draw a new fans is shortsighted given past evidence.

The Canadian deal where it airs and streams on the Canadian Sci Fi channel will probably not be renewed by CBS/Paramount after the current contract (whatever period of time it was for) runs out.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that's tied to getting production rebates from the Canadian Government. "Shown in Canada" rule. This applies to all their current and future shows excluding Picard. I think CBS made the deal to show it in CTV Sci-Fi just because they've been a good partner.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...-video-production/application-guidelines.html

What are the requirements for a production to be eligible for the CPTC?

For a production to be eligible under the CPTC program, it must meet all of the requirements set out below. Each is further described in the noted section of the guidelines. These requirements are found in section 125.4 of the Act and section 1106 of the Regulations, under the definitions for “Canadian film or video production,” “Canadian film or video production certificate” and “excluded production.”

9. Exploitation in Canada

Either a Canadian distributor or a CRTC-licensed broadcaster must provide written confirmation that the production will be shown in Canada within the two-year period beginning when the production is complete and commercially exploitable. (See sections 8.02-8.06)

10. No distribution in Canada by non-Canadians

The production cannot be distributed in Canada by a non-Canadian entity within the two-year period beginning when the production is complete and commercially exploitable. (See section 8.08)

I'm not an expert, but I believe that's tied to getting production rebates from the Canadian Government. "Shown in Canada" rule. This applies to all their current and future shows excluding Picard. I think CBS made the deal to show it in CTV Sci-Fi just because they've been a good partner.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...-video-production/application-guidelines.html
You're right - but remember - Picard is produced in Los Angeles and the rest of the live action Trek is done ion Canada; so thy may pull Picard out of the deal as I don't think it's getting any Canadian rebates on production. ;)

You're right - but remember - Picard is produced in Los Angeles and the rest of the live action Trek is done ion Canada; so thy may pull Picard out of the deal as I don't think it's getting any Canadian rebates on production. ;)

I understand that and I said it excluded Picard (since it's getting California credits.) I think that Bell is a reliable enough partner for CBS that they're willing to give them the show because the $ they get from the government is better than hardballing negotiations.

If this is intended to be international, it'll mean I can at last get rid of Netflix, which apart from Discovery has absolutely nothing I want to see.

I could do this for Trek, Disney+ for Marvel and Star Wars and everything else can do one !

Back