what happens to our CBS subscriptions?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

By that point Prodigy won't be worth much to Paramount+, as the Trek fans that want to see it will have done it by other means (and it won't be subscribing to Nickelodeon).

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Prodigy is aimed at a younger audience (and hopefully future Trek fans) not the existing Trek fans.

Lord Garth likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Existing Trek fans will still be watching. The next canon war in ...3 ...2 ...1... :lol:

Replica Picard, fireproof78 and Cyrus like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm still letting my seven-year-old niece take over my keyboard when the fighting about Prodigy starts. She'll kick the adult posters' asses. :p

Masiral, Replica Picard and KennyB like this.
  5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I'm running Bell Media, I'm going to want to lock CBS down on this stuff pre-emptively.

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine they will be incorporated into Paramount Plus

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They don't do anything effective to cultivate young people or future fans. It's not in the DNA.

8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yup. That is their aim. We'll see what they think. But one thing I definitely know is that it isn't aimed towards a bitter ex-fan with a massive chip on his shoulder. Thankfully.

JoeP, Masiral, Cyrus and 2 others like this.
  9. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

IDJ about that. CBSAA has a lot of people watching old Star Trek series and honestly expanding the fandom surrounding those. Thinking that just because the Nickelodeon series comes to CBSA/Paramount+ will not still draw subscribers, and that the Star Trek franchise doesn't continue to draw a new fans is shortsighted given past evidence.

10. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

I'm not an expert, but I believe that's tied to getting production rebates from the Canadian Government. "Shown in Canada" rule. This applies to all their current and future shows excluding Picard. I think CBS made the deal to show it in CTV Sci-Fi just because they've been a good partner.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...-video-production/application-guidelines.html

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

You're right - but remember - Picard is produced in Los Angeles and the rest of the live action Trek is done ion Canada; so thy may pull Picard out of the deal as I don't think it's getting any Canadian rebates on production. ;)

12. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

I understand that and I said it excluded Picard (since it's getting California credits.) I think that Bell is a reliable enough partner for CBS that they're willing to give them the show because the $ they get from the government is better than hardballing negotiations.

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Bell also owns the majority stake in Pinewood Studios North (where Discovery is filmed).

Xerxus likes this.
  14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

If this is intended to be international, it'll mean I can at last get rid of Netflix, which apart from Discovery has absolutely nothing I want to see.

I could do this for Trek, Disney+ for Marvel and Star Wars and everything else can do one !