What do you think the Tholian Web's Energy Filaments can be used for besides what we've seen?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by KamenRiderBlade, Apr 30, 2019.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then how much energy does the ship store and how long of a web can each ship spin?

Think about the Ultimate Planetary Blockading tool

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking the silk is made from another lifeform on their world (an entire ecosystem of crystalline arachnid/insectoid forms?) and is just part of their homeworlds culture.

So when they went out into space, they carried over some of their more insectiod thinking and designed an energy based system like I mentioned earlier. Something like a standing wave between two points, saturated with nadions instead of firing a linear beam of them. Whatever this energy filament is can be reflected and amplified when it hits another similar emitter. Whether it's graviton based or something else, we just see the energy saturating it moments later.

3. KamenRiderBlade

The gaps are only large enough for Escape Pods to get through, but nothing bigger than that. I hope that helps given the data we have.

Steven P Bastien likes this.
  4. KamenRiderBlade

I know one interesting use for a Tholian Web, the equivalent of a Space Chain-Link fence that protects from energy fire if you invert it such that you can fire from inside to outside and any energy or attacks coming from outside will hit the field instead of penetrating. I would call it a Tholian Cocoon.

Let's say you have Orbital Dry Docks or floating stellar objects you want to protect, you can literally create a large volume of space and have it protected from outside attack by encasing it in a giant Tholian Cocoon.

Then create Entrance / Exit enclosed areas like Canal Locks, but with protruded Tholian Cocoons that can be opened / closed individually.

5. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the speed of the tholian web spinning vs that seen in the mirror universe might be due to t

6. KamenRiderBlade

Your post was incomplete?

7. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, my phone died last night.

The speed of The Tholian Web spinning vs that seen in the ENT mirror universe might be due to the Enterprise damaging Commander Loskene's ship. It couldn't carry it's share of the load so the spinning was much slower. The ENT mirror universe ships were undamaged, and so their rapid forming of a web could be the norm.

Another use for the web might be to envelope a shielded ship and then contract the web putting continuous load/strain on the shields until they collapsed.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, that's a pretty plausible explanation.

Somehow, I had the impression that that was what it was actually meant to do in the episode, but it was just to tow the ship away. I wonder what gave me that idea.