What do you think of the Terminator movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, May 27, 2021.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I never said she committed crimes, all I said was she would be accused of them. She would definitely be accused of blowing up the cyberdyne complex. You think anyone's going to believe their story of a robot man from the future?

Starkers likes this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on what evidence?

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Eyewitness accounts. Security footage. She was already on the run from the cops.

4. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

At the end of the first movie, I often wondered what the police must have thought when they discovered her badly injured, next to a compressed metal skeleton and not far from the body of some unidentified guy who was reported to have been arrested in a police station where everyone is dead!!!

I wonder how they managed to make sense of all that.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which are rarely reliable.

Which can be taken care of, assuming any survived.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, there's something wrong with her - she's a traumatized survivor of a horrific attack, burdened with the obligation to somehow raise the future savior of the human race, while simultaneously attempting to prevent said future on her own. The men she associates with, chosen mainly for their ability to provide her and John with weapons/combat training, aren't too supportive. It's enough to make anyone go a bit nuts.

IRL, Linda Hamilton told Cameron she wanted to play a bit crazy if she returned for the sequel, so that's what he wrote for her.

She was institutionalized for attacking a Cyberdyne something or other in the first place. No one's going to doubt the security guard who got a good look at her when he says she and her friends attacked them again.

Starkers likes this.
  7. Swedish Borg

In the uncut version, we see her talk to Kyle Reese like he's alive, which seems to give credence to the idea that she's nuts.

Smellmet likes this.
  8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't like most media starring kids/teens even when I was a kid, at least live action stuff. I never even got through movies like The Goonies as a kid because I couldn't stand movies focused on kids. Stuff like Power Rangers didn't really count because the original team was very much actors in their 20s playing "teenagers", and I could tell the difference. Most animated shows and movies also got a pass with me, because animation is just different when it comes to characters. I also generally gave a pass to superhero stuff, although outside of Robin you didn't get much kid superhero stuff when I was younger. But it wasn't always consistent, because I loathed Batman Beyond and X-Men Evolution as a kid, even though superhero stuff generally got a pass from me in this area. But I loved a lot of cartoons that starred kid characters, like Recess, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd & Eddy and the original Teen Titans (which started when I was a young teen).

As I've gotten older, my thoughts on that kind of thing hasn't changed. I still like a bunch of superhero stuff with teen heroes in comics and media, and I'll rewatch old shows like Dexter's Lab and love newer shows like Steven Universe, but I'd rather chew my arm off then have to watch even a minute of something like Stranger Things.

TL;DR: Yes, I couldn't stand 90% of kid/teen characters (at least in live action) even when I was age appropriate, my dislike of them isn't something I've just acquired as a cynical, easily irritated 30 year old :lol:

I mean, I'm glad it didn't end like that just so we could get the awesome Terminator 2, but that doesn't change the fact that, in the context of watching the first movie, I really hated the characters of Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese and was cheering for the Terminator.

9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure the District Attorney for Los Angeles would just take Sarah's word that she blew up a computer factory and abetted Uncle Bob's blowing out of dozens of cops' and rent-a-cops' kneecaps to prevent a nuclear conflict brought on by a computer that became self-aware and determined humanity to be a threat (and was also accosted by two time-traveling cyborgs from the future).

I dunno. There's some WACKY conspiracy theories out there, but I just don't see a jury acquitting her of everything. Unless Dr. Silberman (now most likely seen as a member of Sarah's Judgment Day cult) testified on her behalf that they were working under orders from either Kyle Reese or Uncle Bob. All of the evidence of SkyNet's existence was either destroyed in the steel mill or was considered classified by the government.

10. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

There's a deleted scene on YouTube that shows Sarah finding the address for Cyberdyne in the phone book; that's the location her and Reese are heading to at the climax of the movie.

Following the destruction of the terminator in the hydraulic press, the owner of Cyberdyne finds the CPU and pockets it. The rest, aside from the arm is unrecognizable as a terminator.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

They were paid off to look the other way by Cyberdyne

12. Swedish Borg

You can't bury the death of two dozens of policemen, plus the damages that the exploding truck must have caused. There is a limit to how much can be concealed from the public. There is a difference between pocketing a computer chip and do a complete cover-up. Every news media will be on it all over the country and even the world. Something of this magnitude definitely qualifies as international news.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I'm just going by what we can deduce from the movie, and they also would have taken away the crushed robot or else how do you explain that if you were to frame Sarah Connor which I think was mentioned in T2 that they framed her up and took the evidence.

14. Swedish Borg

But she wasn't arrested there. Otherwise, how would you explain that we see her in her car mere months later? NO, she was arrested much later, years later when her son was already capable of understanding what was going on because she went nuts and forgot that she should keep things like robots from the future to herself. That's why I am a bit skeptical about the scenes in the insane asylum.

15. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"She tried to blow up a computer factory, but she got shot and arrested." -John Connor, Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Gaith likes this.
  16. Swedish Borg

After all these years undercover keeping her theories to herself she suddenly decides to preach the good word in, (of all places!!!) an INSANE ASYLUM!!! I have to ask: "What caused her IQ to drop fifty points????"

17. Swedish Borg

A piece of advice: If you ever find yourself in a bin, don't tell them that you believe in killer robots from the future...;)

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

"A good question... for another time." ;)

19. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My quick thoughts --

The 1st movie i think of , like i do TOS or the st Highlander movie... in some ways, cheaper than later productions, "dated" (i.e. feels 60's/80's) but really set the stage for the future, and what it started I appreciate.

Terminator 2 was innovative in its technology, having effects that became the new standard, as well as a blend of comedy and action and emotion that worked really well.

3 for me was "meh". I feel bad for Nick Stahl, as he seemed to have been thrown in, and the lackluster performance seemed to have Stahled his career (Fear the Walking Dead is the first thing i have seen him in since). I think it would have been much better if Ed Furlong could have reprised his role. It feels like a retread to set up the future war.

Salvation -- i didn't like the concept. This hybrid is supposed to be the first Terminator? i thought the idea was that the Terminators were created to help infiltrate the Resistance? I liked most of te cast, but the focus on Marcus wasn't great, and John COnnor's role seems to have sidelined him.

Genesys -- I thought Emilia Clarke did a good job of showing us a Sarah Connor had she been raised a fighter from the get go. Jai COurtney was horribly miscast, and John COnnor becoming a terminator was just dumb... and not sure if THIS Sarah would have the emotional connection a previous Sarah would have had.

Dark Fate -- for me, it was like The Force Awakens or even ST 2009... bringing back old characters for a SOMEWHAT refreshed story line. John's death was surprising...but made sense. Instead of Sarah's identity being wrapped around her son ... she had a new "mission", and Linda Hamilton played it very well...definitely felt like a consistent growth for her character.

I feel like they definitely should have shown and completed the Future War.

Maybe show us all of the Temrinators that went back... starting with the first and Kyke Reese going back... but then T-1000 and the other one...and maybe a 4th one (to save for a future movie)

Waaaaay back, i had penned an outline & notes where the 3rd movie would basically have a Skynet of another dimension reach out and grab John and Sarah . This 2nd universe would have Miles Dyson be the human partner of Skynet, and they recruit this John and Sarah to defeat the Temrinator of a 3rd dimension. So expanding the fight against the evil SKynet across dimensions

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think she started expousing in the police station and they sent her to the psych ward as a result.