What do we all like about Discovery (love it or loathe it)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Groppler Zorn, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Tyler being raped by the Klingon woman was pretty graphic.

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

For me, I'm enjoying the show as a sci fi show but not so much as a Star Trek show. It just doesn't have the hear that the other Trek shows did. So I'm enjoying it like I enjoy Battlestar Galactica. A good sci fi show with interesting characters.

I really like some of the characters. I love Tilly, and relate to her awkward dorkiness super hard. I'm usualy not a fan of new aliens in a prequel but since this is obviously a different timeline it works for me. I'm enjoying Saru a lot. Of course every time I see him all I'm thinking about is the actor walking around in those shoes LOL.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

To quote what the late, great Donna Summer would say about this thread, "I Feel Love".

What do I like best about Disco?

• Bell & James
    • Chic
    • The Commodores
    • Donna Summer
    • Earth, Wind & Fire
    • KC & The Sunshine Band
    • Kool & The Gang
    • Rod Stewart
    • Sister Sledge
    • The Village People

What do I like best about Discovery?
    • The USS Discovery (I always liked that design)
    • The Crew
    • The Continuing Storyline
    • The Mirror Universe
    • Having a rogue like Lorca and a mutineer like Burnham in the lead roles. Non-Traditional Characters.
    • L'Rell is the woman who can work things out with Starfleet and still look like a bad-ass to the Klingons.
    • Not afraid to shake things up. "10 years before TOS" doesn't mean everything has to stay exactly the same.
    • Essentially starting with the end Star Trek: Shenzou before rolling into Star Trek: Discovery.
    • Even though I still prefer if they had hair, the Klingons are actually intimidating and not just lovable bikers. Much as I liked Martok in DS9.
    • The Orion Embassy on Qo'noS!

4. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

One question: does your "not being a fan" of new aliens in a prequel mean you think that all the aliens that existed in the Federation were shown in TOS/TNG/DS9/parts of VOY/ENT? The Federation had 180 member worlds (as of Star Trek: First Contact) - have we even seen 180 different aliens on Trek (excluding Kelvin Timeline), let alone 180 Federation member species?

As for the "obviously a different timeline" ... I just don't really have anything to say to that.

Vger23 and fireproof78 like this.
  5. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

What do I like?

Georgiou and Lorca - either of which I'd happily watch a series with as captain (prequel series anyone?)
    Saru - probably the best truly alien character ever shown on Star Trek and played wonderfully by Doug Jones
    Stamets and Tilly - took a little time to grow on me but both developed over the season.
    The sets and special effects are beautiful. Far and away the best looking Trek so far (and I'm including the JJ movies).
    The serialised nature of the show. Only really done effectively in DS9 before, and this takes the serialisation even further (which is probably more an indication of the era but it works well)
    The mirror universe reveal. Up to that point I was struggling to like Lorca because he was so far away from what a Star Trek captain should be. After the reveal I can rewatch those earlier episodes and see just how good the performance is.

Spectre Of The Fun and Vger23 like this.