what do other trekkies think of Damar?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Triggered, Jun 21, 2017.

1. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very interesting. I'm sure fans would have been devastated for Garak to die (but there are those of us equally devastated by Damar's death!). However, I think you might be right - perhaps there would have been a poetry to it.

2. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Garak hasn't lost everything--he still has Cardassia. And because Cardassia is now free and he has lost everyone else that he loved, death would be a release for him. So, of course, he has to continue living, because that is the only way he can be punished and therefore find redemption.

3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Garak was deserving of a "redemption death" because he wasn't seeking redemption. He was perfectly happy with who and what he was, and he didn't need to change that to become "a good guy" or one of the heroes(I hate that word)

Here's an interesting bit about Damar:

"It was amazing. They pieced together the entire story of how Damar came to power. Weyoun is the Dark Prince, Gul Dukat is the deposed King, Damar is the Pretender to the throne, and Ziyal is the innocent Princess he murdered. And now the Pretender is wracked with guilt over what he's done. "

-Bashir in "Statistical Probabilities"

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Garak I wish we would have been given a clue as to what he would do know that he is back home. I think it would have been cool if we found out he choose to open a tailor shop instead of getting involved in poltics.

Jason

5. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah...for Garak to find redemption back on Cardassia is interesting but there is maybe not quite enough sense of what that would mean. I can't quite see Garak becoming the leader of Cardassia in any overt sense, whereas that seemed the obvious route for Damar.

6. Brass

Brass Lieutenant Red Shirt

Like others said he only became interesting at the end, when he had his eyes opened so to speak, and stepped up to the occasion. I did think it kind of strange that he developed into a leader. Not to disparage the character, but it seemed like he was just a simple freighter crewman/lackey when he was under Dukat, and not particularly clever or charismatic. Dukat seemed to just reward him with power due to his loyalty. You would think the Dominion would just kill him after Dukat stayed behind, and put someone else in as leader. You know, someone like one of Dukat's enemies? Someone with leadership experience but who is also controllable?
    Not someone inclined to help a liability like Dukat. Not someone who is going to maybe resent the situation and start a rebellion XD

Also he liked his sauce. I wonder what they used for canar (kanar?) It looks like maple syrup.

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Kanar was actually chocolate sauce.

8. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Alcoholic chocolate sauce?
    I can see Troi going for that I n a big way...!

DamarsKanar likes this.