What Did You Have For Dinner Last Night?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

:lol: Oops! Well, it had been a long week...

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Last night, I had pasta salad and a diet Dr. Pepper.

3. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had In 'N Out last night. Mmmm ...

4. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

Ready-made lasagne.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Chili cheese dogs.

6. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Sushi - too hot for hot food.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Tonight was a sausage and roasted garlic pizza from The Roman Candle. Fucking unreal.

This week is going to be another great one for dinners. My tentative menu:

Monday -- Center-cut pork chops. I'm probably going to sear them on the stovetop, then cover and finish 'em off. I'm thinking I'll make a pan sauce with the rendered fat, lemon, shallots, garlic and white wine vinegar, as well. Served with some applesauce and fresh vegetables.

Tuesday -- Quick dinner, since we'll be going grocery shopping once my wife gets off work. The odds are I'll do something really simple ... most likely, I'll just steam some Vienna beef hot dogs and plate them with Doritos or some other high holy fuck-off carb-loaded thing.

Wednesday -- Oh, yes. I picked up some ridiculously thick ribeye steaks from a butcher while I was on vacation with my father-in-law last week, and now it's time to annihilate these bastards. Ordinarily I use my tried-and-true cast-iron stove / oven method, but since these steaks are so thick, and perfectly marbled, my plan is to cook them with the Ducasse method. It's been a while since I've cooked a steak that way, and these ribeyes look like perfect candidates for it. I'll be baking potatoes and grilling asparagus to go with the steaks.

Thursday -- I've got entirely too much pasta sitting in my cupboard, so some of it's winding up in my stock pot. It'll either be a grilled chicken alfredo (if I'm feeling the urge to feel like a big fat fatty) or linguine aglio et olio (if I decide I'd rather be a bit healthier). Probably the aglio et olio. Naturally, there will be salad, probably a balsamic vinaigrette with parmesan cheese.

Friday -- I have a beef tenderloin that's been sitting in my freezer for entirely too long. I'm going to sear it in my cast-iron on the stove, finish it in the oven, and then start slicing it. I'll toss that onto some French bread that's been toasted and coated in garlic butter, and then I'll melt some mozzarella and provolone cheese on there. Mmm, steak sandwiches. A little salad, maybe some sweet potato fries ... damn skippy, son.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^Makes my Brown bread sandwiches with garlic houmous, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cheese seem a bit meh. LOL

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I grilled up some cheeseburgers, but after reading through the last page, I'm stealing Timby's idea for next time.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

11. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Homemade veal stew. Yum!

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Last night, had cheese on toasted bagel.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Pizza and a couple of cheesburgers.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Tacos & seasoned fries.

15. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

A Greek salad, with a side of Gorgonzola and Taleggio cheeses matched with a little slice from a fig and almond wheel.

16. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I foraged last night. Ham, chicken, watermelon and anything that was in the fridge and calling to me.

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Disaster struck last night. As I was cooking the pork chops I mentioned earlier, timing them to be done just as my wife got home from work, one of our cats decided to hork all over our living room carpet. So I had to abandon the stove and get to cleaning that up, because cat vomit can stain carpet pretty quickly. In the process, though, the chops got overheated, skyrocketing past 145 degrees and topping out at around 172 (you shouldn't cook pork higher than 160, and even that's over-cooking it, in my book), drying them out pretty badly.

I mean, they were still tasty enough because they were seasoned properly, and the pan sauce that I made with the rendered fat and some herbs turned out great, but ... they could have been so much more. :(

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A couple of double cheeseburgers from Runza.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Take-out from a major chain along with a homemade salad.

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Lasagna and a mixed field green salad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.