What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

My controversial opinion about your controversial opinion: By trying to insert her into Spock's family, they made Burnham the equivalent of Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch and Scrappy-Doo from Scooby-Doo.

A previously unheard of relative that comes into the picture and made to be a significant part of the other character's background, but feels tacked-on and a gimmick.

I think everything they tried to do with putting her into Spock's background would have been better achieved by making it her own story with no connections to anything else.
And I disagree with every word you just said.

My controversial opinion about your controversial opinion: By trying to insert her into Spock's family, they made Burnham the equivalent of Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch and Scrappy-Doo from Scooby-Doo.

Not controversial to any degree. Like bad soap operas, it makes the world seem small when so many characters are somehow related to one of the important main characters of a franchise. Piggybacking Burnham to Spock was a desperate, forced stunt to create a point of legacy interest in her, when the creators (if you can call them that) should have been creative enough to develop a compelling character who stood on her own. TOS did not seem to have a problem accomplishing that.

This is a slightly depressing admission and I don’t want to get hate for it, but I’m not really all that stoked about any of the upcoming Trek releases. Lower Decks is just not for me, SNW is a show I have very mixed feelings about and Prodigy I can take or leave really (I preferred the first half of the season before it became a straight up Voyager sequel).

Not saying any of the shows are bad and I’m glad they’re generally popular with fans. I’m a bit checked out of Trek now. Happy to rewatch TOS, TNG and DS9 over again (on the latter at the moment). That’s all the Trek I need. Plus the first six movies.

Not saying any of the shows are bad and I’m glad they’re generally popular with fans. I’m a bit checked out of Trek now. Happy to rewatch TOS, TNG and DS9 over again (on the latter at the moment). That’s all the Trek I need. Plus the first six movies.

Pretty much where I've been at, over the last couple of years, though I dutifully pay my Paramount+ subscription every month. I figure eventually I'll get a hankering for new Trek.

Though I still have a huge backlog of TOS novels and comics to read, should I get that particular itch.

Another controversial opinion:

At the end of TNG's "The Host", Beverly is not being homophobic or bigoted when she breaks up with Odan (who is now a woman).

Yeah, Beverly does seem a bit mealymouthed when she says "Perhaps in the future...our ability to love won't be so limited". Fine. I get that. But I think she was just trying to be nice to Odan and not hurt her feelings. Maybe...JUST MAYBE...Beverly simply doesn't like girls?

At the very least, being in a relationship with someone who is capable of constantly changing bodies might be just a TAD hard to deal with. I know that if my GF turned into a dude, I couldn't handle that. Does that make ME homophobic? No? Then neither is Beverly.

Last edited:
This is a slightly depressing admission and I don’t want to get hate for it, but I’m not really all that stoked about any of the upcoming Trek releases. Lower Decks is just not for me, SNW is a show I have very mixed feelings about and Prodigy I can take or leave really (I preferred the first half of the season before it became a straight up Voyager sequel).

I love TOS, DS9, and the Kelvin movies. I do more with fan fiction and art designs from those periods than many of the shows right now. That's all the Trek I need.

If I like a current show, like SNW, then I'll watch it but its never must see. Trek hasn't been must see for me in about 20 years. That's OK :)

It is weird, with CBS Trek, for some reason my interest just completely evaporates around episode seven or eight. I just don't know what it is about how they progress the story in these shows, but my interest just completely evaporates.

Easy, have him turn up in Academy, with Kovich saying the bar fight was staged and he actually had picked him up in 2024, and the one Guinan mentioned was a duplicate.

Back