What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

I know distance rate and time has never been Star Trek's strong suit but this really takes the cake. And leaves it out in the rain.
NOOOO! NOT MACARTHUR PARK! :scream::scream::scream:

Because of this I might not draw as straight a line between the faults of the other films and "red matter" as I should.
Someday, I truly hope to find out what the hell is up with J.J. and floating balls of red liquid. When I first saw it in 09, I was boggled because it was also in Alias. Probably in Fringe too. Apparently referred to in MI3. It's one of the weirder McGuffins I've run across. But then, this is one of the minds behind Lost. He probably just thinks it looks cool.

Oh damn.

Meyer and Burnett were also “not fans” and it’s arguable they “ignored canon” even worse, but they get a pass for some reason.
Yes, indeed. And it's equally frustrating not only for that double standard now. And I find it incredibly irritating that mocking a person for their Trek work is considered appropriate.

Meyer and Burnett were also “not fans” and it’s arguable they “ignored canon” even worse, but they get a pass for some reason.

Meyer was not a lone wolf on TWOK; Bennett researched TOS, picked "Space Seed" as the basis of a sequel, and Meyer's script additions only enhanced the mission of the film: to bring the essence of TOS back to the ST films, avoiding the meandering, dull mistakes of TMP. He was not trying to inject some completely off-model BS to ST at all. Considering how fans not only embraced TWOK as a return to the heart and soul of TOS, but it gave a second life to the franchise (restoring a positive view of ST), there's no comparison between the contribution of Meyer (or Bennett) and the hollow, Michael Bay / Simpson & Bruckheimer-esque, over-the-top, would-be Star Wars-ian mess that was JJ-Trek.

I still think it's a shame they almost exclusively used him for comedic relief (and often of a none too high quality). The few episodes in which we got to see a deeper side to him (Jetrel, Fair Trade, Mortal Coil, Homestead) convinced me they could (and should) have gotten a lot more out of the character than they did.

I have no problem with Picard kicking some serious ... whenever he needs to. That fits in with what we know of him. I do have a bit of a problem with him jumping into 'action hero' mode when it's not necessary, for example when deploying the Argos in NEM. That's something I wouldn't have expected of series Picard.
I can easily rationalise Picards behaviour in Nemesis with a few things. Picard was probably disillusioned with Starfleet at this point especially after INS and his relegation to the sidelines at the start of FC instead of leading fleet. Picards whole phikosophy of 24th century enlightenment was slowly being destroyed by the events he witness such as the emergence of the Maqui and the Dominion War. He no longer has hope of holding onto these notions of a Utopian Society because that "everlasting peace" didn't last nearly as long as he had wished for and tried to preserve for his entire career. In NEM we see an aging captain who probably doesn't see much value in his chair, especially compared with how he was at the start of TNG - brimming with passion and patriotic spirit for the 'Utopia' that was the UFP. All his work and sacrifice for what? Simply for everything he has worked for to fall apart around him and the Federation revert a century's worth of progress and fall into moral corruption as seen on DS9. NEMs Picard is frankly sick of everyone's BS and happy to retire but chooses not to because being in Starfleet is all he's ever known. And still this version of Picard still manages to import some wisdom on Data in a heartwarming scene but that was cut from the film! He still manages to save the day albeit with data's sacrifice. After all Picard has been through: being assimilated, sorted 1000 different diplomatic and political issues, discovered 500 new alien life forms, being constantly manipulated by Q, time travelling to save the entire human race, and everything else... You would think he deserves a scene where he receives a medal or some kind of external recognition. He sacrificed family, being a parent and put all he was into Starfleet. I love Picard because he keeps going no matter what. And now finally Season 3 of Picard has reminded me why I love the character. Because he may have retired but he never gives up! He saved the world again as a nonogenarian and prioritises his son to a degree no one expected. The same authority and confidence came out to prove to everyone that the old Badass Picard was still there the entire time! Now he can finally retire to Risa and catalogue old alien artifacts in peace.

I can easily rationalise Picards behaviour in Nemesis with a few things. Picard was probably disillusioned with Starfleet at this point especially after INS and his relegation to the sidelines at the start of FC instead of leading fleet. Picards whole phikosophy of 24th century enlightenment was slowly being destroyed by the events he witness such as the emergence of the Maqui and the Dominion War. He no longer has hope of holding onto these notions of a Utopian Society because that "everlasting peace" didn't last nearly as long as he had wished for and tried to preserve for his entire career. In NEM we see an aging captain who probably doesn't see much value in his chair, especially compared with how he was at the start of TNG - brimming with passion and patriotic spirit for the 'Utopia' that was the UFP. All his work and sacrifice for what? Simply for everything he has worked for to fall apart around him and the Federation revert a century's worth of progress and fall into moral corruption as seen on DS9. NEMs Picard is frankly sick of everyone's BS and happy to retire but chooses not to because being in Starfleet is all he's ever known. And still this version of Picard still manages to import some wisdom on Data in a heartwarming scene but that was cut from the film! He still manages to save the day albeit with data's sacrifice. After all Picard has been through: being assimilated, sorted 1000 different diplomatic and political issues, discovered 500 new alien life forms, being constantly manipulated by Q, time travelling to save the entire human race, and everything else... You would think he deserves a scene where he receives a medal or some kind of external recognition. He sacrificed family, being a parent and put all he was into Starfleet. I love Picard because he keeps going no matter what. And now finally Season 3 of Picard has reminded me why I love the character. Because he may have retired but he never gives up! He saved the world again as a nonogenarian and prioritises his son to a degree no one expected. The same authority and confidence came out to prove to everyone that the old Badass Picard was still there the entire time! Now he can finally retire to Risa and catalogue old alien artifacts in peace.
While well written that doesn't explain the ATV driving scene. It's a poor explanation that this supposedly principled man was so disillusioned that he kills a pre-warp civilization and violate General Order One/The Prime Directive.

I appreciate that Picard never gave up but let's not pretend that he deserved some great accolade. The point of the evolved humanity was to give to the society and better oneself and humanity. If Picard was dissatisfied then walking away would be appropriate as he had already given his all.

That's the one thing I fully will give credit to him for... helping to reignite interest in the franchise more broadly. I hate his two movies, but I am glad they exist because the current era of shows likely wouldn't happen... or at least not until years from now.

Paramount had $150 million to spend on a movie. Almost anyone in the industry could have done a fine directorial job.

Last edited:
Paramount had $150 million to spend on a movie. almost any one could have done a fine directorial job.

I... umm... what the... uhhh...

(scratches head)

This AI generated stuff just gets weirder and weirder. I feel like this was a weird mash up of TOS, a Gerry Anderson series like U.F.O. or SPACE: 1999, and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY mixed with music from an old NES game.

I feel like my brain was just removed from my skull, thrown into a washer, then rinsed, put back into my head, and then someone just shakes me senselessly until I actually blink again.

I don't know if I have the words.

While well written that doesn't explain the ATV driving scene. It's a poor explanation that this supposedly principled man was so disillusioned that he kills a pre-warp civilization and violate General Order One/The Prime Directive.

I appreciate that Picard never gave up but let's not pretend that he deserved some great accolade. The point of the evolved humanity was to give to the society and better oneself and humanity. If Picard was dissatisfied then walking away would be appropriate as he had already given his all.
Oh I agree there is no excuse for the awful writing of NEM and Picard's wierd out-of-character behaviour in the movies. At least in FC it makes some sort of sense for his character as we have seen Die Hard Picard before but in INS just because this pre-warp alien race lives on a planet with regenerative powers doesn't make them exempt from the Prime Directive and if the same events were taking place in the days of TNG he would have broken the bad news himself and then let the rest of Starfleet deal with it. I feel like they wanted to make Picard more of a rebellious character in the Movies to draw a wider audience and satisfy more movie goers but it's totally out of character for Picard and this direction ended doing more damage to the franchise than good. Kirk was the captain that bent the rules for the best interests of all parties involved. Picard used wisdom and emotional intelligence to find alternative solutions to problems. Two very different captains.

Am I alone in just chalking up Picard's behaviour in some of the Next Generation films to a midlife crisis?
Nope. You're not the only one.

His family dying, the Enterprise-D being destroyed, and meeting Kirk all sparked something. Coping with loss and taking advice from a historical figure did something weird to him. Fighting the Borg again only encouraged it.

Data's death finally snapped him out of it... and snapped him into something else.

So, basically, Picard had one thing or another going on with him from 2371 all the way up to 2399. I think there's some double-meaning when Picard says, "I haven't been living, I've been waiting to die." He spent part of that time reckless, as if he had a death-wish (the mid-life crisis), and then spent the rest of it moping. "The dreams are lovely. It's the waking up I'm beginning to regret."

Last edited:
Back