What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Claiming the Kelvin movies and Discovery are crap is hardly unpopular or controversial either.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make and you know it.

The point was, I think the two threads should be merged, given the way it's going. It's not my call and it's not the end of the world, but there we are.

Kras is the greatest Klingon.

klingons2.jpg

The TOS movies should have jettisoned Sulu, Chekov, Scotty and Uhura, they weren't necessary.
TMP: Cut Sulu, Scotty, and Chekov.
Uhura and Chapel are fine in their roles here, though I would have asked Nichols for less over-the-top reactions.

TWoK: Cut Sulu and Scotty.

TSfS: Fine.

TVH: Cut Uhura.

TFF: Haven't seen it in forever; not sure.

TUC: Cut Uhura, Scotty, and Chekov.

Enterprise was an excellent show, and deserved to run longer. I didnt watch it until 2014 (for no other reason than I had drifted away from new Trek by 2001) but had heard so many stories of how terrible it was. I loved it!

Excellent is maybe a bit too strong. But it is criminally underrated. The first two seasons are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

I have a dual opinion about Phase II. On the one hand, I would've liked to have seen it. On the other hand, it would've come at the cost of the movies. No thanks. And it would be a show made in the '70s on a TV budget. As much as I'd love to see it (because I'm weird like that), I'd know I'd cringe at it at the same time.

"So the Seventies?" someone would ask. Yeah. :p

They could show up together in Picard. I just hope they don't get John Ales to play Leah Brahms.
I hope not. Re-watch "Galaxy's Child". I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Totally different experience now. There's so much I didn't get, that I wasn't thinking about back then, that it was like watching a whole other episode.

That "romance" was strictly one-sided. Brahams tried to be completely professional the entire time and then this guy comes on to her because he likes her and automatically assumes she'll like him too. Without even trying to actually get to know her or find out more about her first. Like... her being married. For one. For another, setting up that dinner date which, like Brahams said, wasn't appropriate.

"I like her! So she'll be my girlfriend!" That's junior high, early high school type thinking. Which is why I didn't pick up on what was wrong with it back then. But watching it now... that makes Geordi look really bad. Setting aside whether or not Brahams was married, not even once does he think about what she might think. A relationship is supposed to be two-sided. Geordi only viewed it one way. Everyone else in the episode realizes this except Geordi, and that's what redeems the episode, but he himself doesn't come off looking very good. It's like he was a 13-year-old trapped in a man's body.

So, to have Geordi and Leah be a couple in Picard would be a huge mistake. It's rewarding adolescent thinking in what's supposed to be a show that's geared towards adults. PIC, more than any other Star Trek series, is aiming to be "mature" and "adult". So this would undercut that completely.

Last edited:
I hope not. Re-watch "Galaxy's Child". I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Totally different experience now. There's so much I didn't get, that I wasn't thinking about back then, that it was like watching a whole other episode.

That "romance" was strictly one-sided. Brahams tried to be completely professional the entire time and then this guy comes on to her because he likes her and automatically assumes she'll like him too. Without even trying to actually get to know where or find out more about her first. Like... her being married. For one. For another, setting up that dinner date which, like Brahams said, wasn't appropriate.

"I like her! So she'll be my girlfriend!" That's junior high, early high school type thinking. Which is why I didn't pick up on what was wrong with it back then. But watching it now... that makes Geordi look really bad. Setting aside whether or not Brahams was married, not even once does he think about what she might think. A relationship is supposed to be two-sided. Geordi only viewed it one way. Everyone else in the episode realizes this except Geordi, and that's what redeems the episode, but he himself doesn't come off looking very good. It's like he was a 13-year-old trapped in man's body.

So, to have Geordi and Leah be a couple in Picard would be a huge mistake. It's rewarding adolescent thinking in what's supposed to be a show that's geared towards adults. PIC, more than any other Star Trek series, is aiming to be "mature" and "adult". So this would undercut that completely.
Yep. Not to mention, Leah and Geordi getting together is one of the things wrong with the LitVerse, for all of those reasons.

Geordi is actually a terrible character in my opinion. LeVar Burton is a likeable guy and did his best with the material, but the writing was just terrible. He’s a bland, insipid character with few defining qualities other than the Visor. I mean how would you even describe his personality? He’s just kind of...there. He was a creep around women and if incel forums are still a thing in the future, he’s quite probably on one! Oh, and remember what an utter dick he was to Barclay in ‘Hollow Pursuits’? That was almost bullying, and the fact of the matter he was little better than Barclay when it came to Holodeck exploits.

Uhura and Chapel are fine in their roles here, though I would have asked Nichols for less over-the-top reactions.

How would the exclusion of these characters benefit the films?

Discovery should have been a third universe and Tarantino's or Noah Hawley's films should have been a fourth.
The bridge on the top of the saucer and the window on the bridge are dumb ideas. The narrow neck between main and secondary hull and narrow nacelle pylons aren't that great either.

How would the exclusion of these characters benefit the films?
Well, the movies should not have forgotten that Star Trek is about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov were all officers of the line. Scotty already displayed legendary command skills within TOS. He and Sulu should have had their own commands by the time of TMP (and this should have been mentioned in TMP); Chekov was rightly given a first officer posting in TWoK. The way Chekov was used in TWoK, and the way Sulu was used in TUC, were memorable and appropriate. It was not reasonable to expect the whole “gang” to be together forever. The only time it was cool was in TSfS, where it would have been even cooler if it were the one time Kirk “put the A-team back together again” of all four captains — it would then have been super extra cool to see them.

If you watch TMP and pay attention to Sulu and the rest of the minor actors, they ham the crap out of every line they were given, it’s really distracting and embarrassing. Likewise Scotty with all his unnecessary business in TWoK, and pretty much all of them in TUC (except Sulu).

Exactly.
Well, the movies should not have forgotten that Star Trek is about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.
At the risk of sounding dense how did the movies forget this? In a film there is more opportunity to explore characters normally relegated to the occasional episode and background.

At the risk of sounding dense how did the movies forget this? In a film there is more opportunity to explore characters normally relegated to the occasional episode and background.
I thought the movies were largely Kirk-Spock-McCoy. Sure, the other characters have things to do, but they don't participate in many heady discussions about decision making or the nature of humanity or whatnot. The only film that might break from the normal pattern was Undiscovered Country, when Kirk and McCoy were off in confinement and Spock was alone with the rest of the crew, discussing what their course of action should be given the direction of events.

I just mean IMO those are the only characters they should have felt obliged to include in every movie.

I just mean IMO those are the only characters they should have felt obliged to include in every movie.
Who felt obliged to include Doohan, Takei, Nichols and Koenig? I can find no place where a producer, director or writer questioned including them or found their inclusion onerous.

Back