What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

That wasn't the point I was trying to make and you know it.

The point was, I think the two threads should be merged, given the way it's going. It's not my call and it's not the end of the world, but there we are.

2. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

Kras is the greatest Klingon.

[​IMG]

3. Falconer

TMP: Cut Sulu, Scotty, and Chekov.
    Uhura and Chapel are fine in their roles here, though I would have asked Nichols for less over-the-top reactions.

TWoK: Cut Sulu and Scotty.

TSfS: Fine.

TVH: Cut Uhura.

TFF: Haven't seen it in forever; not sure.

TUC: Cut Uhura, Scotty, and Chekov.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you asking me to explain? She's playing perhaps the most complex part written for Star Trek, she knows how to share the spotlight and give ground, she helps the actors around her shine.

fireproof78 and AresB like this.
  5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Money exists
    Starfleet is the military
    The UFP should use cloaked technology
    The universe does not revolve around humans

6. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Excellent is maybe a bit too strong. But it is criminally underrated. The first two seasons are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Delta Vega likes this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would trade everything post-TOS for 13 episodes of the proposed Star Trek II.

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I suppose you want us to get off your lawn too?

:shrug:

:nyah:

BillJ and Lord Garth like this.
  9. Lord Garth

I have a dual opinion about Phase II. On the one hand, I would've liked to have seen it. On the other hand, it would've come at the cost of the movies. No thanks. And it would be a show made in the '70s on a TV budget. As much as I'd love to see it (because I'm weird like that), I'd know I'd cringe at it at the same time.

"So the Seventies?" someone would ask. Yeah. :p

10. Lord Garth

I hope not. Re-watch "Galaxy's Child". I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Totally different experience now. There's so much I didn't get, that I wasn't thinking about back then, that it was like watching a whole other episode.

That "romance" was strictly one-sided. Brahams tried to be completely professional the entire time and then this guy comes on to her because he likes her and automatically assumes she'll like him too. Without even trying to actually get to know her or find out more about her first. Like... her being married. For one. For another, setting up that dinner date which, like Brahams said, wasn't appropriate.

"I like her! So she'll be my girlfriend!" That's junior high, early high school type thinking. Which is why I didn't pick up on what was wrong with it back then. But watching it now... that makes Geordi look really bad. Setting aside whether or not Brahams was married, not even once does he think about what she might think. A relationship is supposed to be two-sided. Geordi only viewed it one way. Everyone else in the episode realizes this except Geordi, and that's what redeems the episode, but he himself doesn't come off looking very good. It's like he was a 13-year-old trapped in a man's body.

So, to have Geordi and Leah be a couple in Picard would be a huge mistake. It's rewarding adolescent thinking in what's supposed to be a show that's geared towards adults. PIC, more than any other Star Trek series, is aiming to be "mature" and "adult". So this would undercut that completely.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Not to mention, Leah and Geordi getting together is one of the things wrong with the LitVerse, for all of those reasons.

Lord Garth likes this.
  12. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geordi is actually a terrible character in my opinion. LeVar Burton is a likeable guy and did his best with the material, but the writing was just terrible. He’s a bland, insipid character with few defining qualities other than the Visor. I mean how would you even describe his personality? He’s just kind of...there. He was a creep around women and if incel forums are still a thing in the future, he’s quite probably on one! Oh, and remember what an utter dick he was to Barclay in ‘Hollow Pursuits’? That was almost bullying, and the fact of the matter he was little better than Barclay when it came to Holodeck exploits.

13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

How would the exclusion of these characters benefit the films?

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Discovery should have been a third universe and Tarantino's or Noah Hawley's films should have been a fourth.
    The bridge on the top of the saucer and the window on the bridge are dumb ideas. The narrow neck between main and secondary hull and narrow nacelle pylons aren't that great either.

15. Falconer

Well, the movies should not have forgotten that Star Trek is about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov were all officers of the line. Scotty already displayed legendary command skills within TOS. He and Sulu should have had their own commands by the time of TMP (and this should have been mentioned in TMP); Chekov was rightly given a first officer posting in TWoK. The way Chekov was used in TWoK, and the way Sulu was used in TUC, were memorable and appropriate. It was not reasonable to expect the whole “gang” to be together forever. The only time it was cool was in TSfS, where it would have been even cooler if it were the one time Kirk “put the A-team back together again” of all four captains — it would then have been super extra cool to see them.

If you watch TMP and pay attention to Sulu and the rest of the minor actors, they ham the crap out of every line they were given, it’s really distracting and embarrassing. Likewise Scotty with all his unnecessary business in TWoK, and pretty much all of them in TUC (except Sulu).

burningoil and Tim Thomason like this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.
    At the risk of sounding dense how did the movies forget this? In a film there is more opportunity to explore characters normally relegated to the occasional episode and background.

Lord Garth likes this.
  17. Bad Thoughts

I thought the movies were largely Kirk-Spock-McCoy. Sure, the other characters have things to do, but they don't participate in many heady discussions about decision making or the nature of humanity or whatnot. The only film that might break from the normal pattern was Undiscovered Country, when Kirk and McCoy were off in confinement and Spock was alone with the rest of the crew, discussing what their course of action should be given the direction of events.

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. Falconer

I just mean IMO those are the only characters they should have felt obliged to include in every movie.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

By that point, with marketing and public appearances it had been broadened out.

20. Bad Thoughts

Who felt obliged to include Doohan, Takei, Nichols and Koenig? I can find no place where a producer, director or writer questioned including them or found their inclusion onerous.