What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

The Voyage Home is below average.

The Final Frontier is OK and with, overall, better comedy than The Voyager Home.

Worf was much better on TNG than on Deep Space Nine.

The Ferengi, aside from in "The Last Outpost", weren't badly done in TNG.

Deep Space Nine way-over-glorified GENERAL MARTOK.

I became a fan through the movies. I never watched a single episode of TOS before seeing them.

And most of my friends only primarily only like TNG, but some of them also like the movies. I know a lot of people in my circle who fall under the category of, "I don't like the original series, but I like the movies". Which is pretty much proof to me that they would've liked TOS if they could get passed the '60s style.

I only really mean that the Star Trek movies are bad when compared to non-Star Trek movies. They work pretty well as "long episodes" for me.
Personally I quite like The Undiscovered Country if I look at it as a "long episode".

Plus I didn't say that I find it impo0ssible for people to like them without being Star Trek fans, just that i doubt they would have become a cultural phenomenon if there hadn't already been a fanbase.

Just for curiosity which movie was it that made you a fan?

I only really mean that the Star Trek movies are bad when compared to non-Star Trek movies. They work pretty well as "long episodes" for me.
Personally I quite like The Undiscovered Country if I look at it as a "long episode".

Plus I didn't say that I find it impo0ssible for people to like them without being Star Trek fans, just that i doubt they would have become a cultural phenomenon if there hadn't already been a fanbase.

Just for curiosity which movie was it that made you a fan?
TVH. My mother bought it a few months after we got our first VCR. I thought it was funny and having them in Present Day was a good way to rope me in. I was finding out about the 23rd Century as Gillian was. I had no idea what the Hell they were talking about in the court room, so it made me want to watch the other movies.

^^
^^^
i can see it whenever i want, but as soon as "The Voyage Home" is on the telly,
i immediately stop everything else, and watch it.

oh yes, controversial... : ENT are waaaaaaay better than TOS:) sry

The problems with Trek movies is that they try to appeal to both fans and wider audience, which all too often makes them neither very good movies nor very good Star Trek.

Also, since I found Trek through the novels, I often find them more interesting than the series or movies. :D

It's too easy to bash anything post 09 trek (and barely controversial at this point, just tired/tiring) so here's a sort of hot take: I'm glad Enterprise never showed the Romulan War because it would had butchered it.

It would had just been a Romulan surprise attack, maybe even analogous to Pearl Harbor or more horrendously a rehash of 9-11. Then Earth somehow sees itself alone and the crew has to re-recruit the Andorians and Vulcans and Tellarites. "Battles" would just be one of the four NXs or so against a handful of Romulan ships. Then Earth is attacked, repulsed somehow, and then immediately it's the battle of Cheron with a united fleet and the Romulans surrender over radio. Maybe a atrocity on the Andorians.

It wouldn't had felt at all like a war. Maybe I'm not giving the ENT writers or artists enough credit, their Xindi battles had a dozen or MORE ships at a time, which was a step in the right direction, but I really feel like the Romulan War would had been a rushed job that the screen wouldn't had done justice, because they had stuffed the UE and UESPA and starfleet into such a small timeframe (2130s+) it never felt like a big, grounded organization.

I am influenced by fanon stuff like the Museum and the books from 09'-11' which I read in HS but yea.

Last edited:
TFF is the third best Trek movie, period.

Two thirds of TOS is bad, but almost every episode has a cool moment or two.

Worf was better on TNG than on DS9.

I'm not crazy about Trip.

The EMH is ok, but a bit overrated.

Andrew Robinson was a little too hammy sometimes. Still great though.

DS9 season 1 is underrated.

DS9 season 7 is overrated.D

Neelix, Rom, Chekov, and Wesley should never have existed.

Anthony Montgomery, Garrett Wang, and Marina Sirtis' characters should have been written out of their respective shows early on. 3 characters, 18 seasons, and maybe two good episodes between them.

Worf was an awful character and added nothing of value to TNG or DS9.

The TOS movies should have jettisoned Sulu, Chekov, Scotty and Uhura, they weren't necessary.

Rom and Leeta were an awful couple.

Season 3 of TOS is still better than most all the other seasons of Trek that followed.
Yup. I actually really like TOS season 3. Was just watching All Our Yesterdays the other day.

Frankly, if it doesn't primarily involve exploring new worlds, seeking out new life & new civilizations, on a trek through the stars, as its basis, then by definition, I don't really think it's fitting to be considered Star Trek. That's not to say I automatically dislike that which doesn't fit that format, & I don't begrudge them doing whatever they want with their IP, but that original concept is the draw of the thing for me. I mean it's called Star Trek. Those words have meanings :rommie:

Season 3 of Enterprise is vastly overrated.

I always hated the Xindi arc. I know it was done in attempt to shake the show up, but, at that point, Enterprise felt very un-prequel-y. It should’ve been the Romulan War, honestly. I don’t recall if it’s explicitly stated in canon what years the Romulan War takes place, but, it at least would’ve maintained the canon feel.

Yeah, the difference between "controversial" and "unpopular" seems pretty minor. I almost merged the two, but decided to let it slide.
Hmmmm.

Controversial Opinion: I don't think Sisko should've poisoned a planet just to get Eddington in "For the Uniform". It's not like if he got him the entire Maquis would've disappeared or someone else wouldn't have just taken his place.

Back