What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fact check:

Neither the TOS nor the TMP Enterprise models were "kitbashed."

I know less about about the construction of the Ent-D than these two, so I won't comment on it, or any of the others.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seen the film used D, not a kitbash.

3. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

As I wrote some years ago on another thread in more detail: TWoK is a sequel to "Space Seed" and is in no way a sequel to TMP. TMP exists in a pocket universe, a sort of bubble. It did not take place "before" TWoK. There is no elapsed time between the movies. TWoK was originally released without the "II" for that very reason. Kirk begins each movie as an admiral at a desk job and regains his ship relatively soon. The mostly-used-up Enterprise we see in TWoK only superficially resembles the newly refit one we are shown at great length in TMP. That is, the Enterprise of TWoK is the TV Enterprise of 15 years earlier, shown in greater detail.

There were counterarguments that Spock grew from one movie to the next, that his experiences as shown in TMP had an impact on the personality he displayed in TWoK. I think that's a weak argument; the ostensibly more relaxed Spock of TWoK was often on display in the TV series.

4. Dumbbell

Dumbbell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Imagine that all life in Star Trek's material universe began on Earth.

5. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ya might think that being how often it comes up.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

All of Star Trek is a holodeck program.

Humans never invented warp travel or contacted aliens, this is the work of a 23rd century author and the equivalent of our current day TV shows as holodecks are a common medium in most households around the world.

The furthest humans ever got to in space is a base on Mars in the late 21st century.

7. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It can get more bizzare than Star Trek being a holodeck program created in the 23rd century.

See my answer here:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...-sf-continuities-besides-nivens/254629#254629

Which is linked to this Trek BBS thread: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/star-trek-is-part-of-mcu.293148/

So some television fans who believe in the Tommy Westphail Universe believed that Star Trek was imagined by a 20th century Earth boy. And so some people might consider Tommy Westhail to be the creator god of the Star Trek universe.

So if any creators of future Star Trek programs and movies believe that, Tommy Westphail could show up as an all powerfull god in some Star Trek productions.

Actually, barring terrible disasters, humans should have sent robotic probes to a few nearby stars, and received data from them, long before the 23rd century.

And they should have sent manned and/or unmanned expediitions to mine asteroids and comets for raw materials for Earth, the Mars bsse, and various artifical space habitats they build as they begin the colonization of the Solar System.

publiusr and Commander Troi like this.
  8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is actually funny, as the actor that played Tommy Westphall appeared in the TNG episode Suddenly Human, as the boy Jono.

9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

That's neat @MAGolding I like that thread on stack exchange. I know of the whole Tommy Westphall theory ever since St Elsewhere happened.

10. MAGolding

I started to reply to your post but decided to start a separate thread.

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/alternate-universes-in-tos.309295/

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This is an opinion about canon, so it has to be controversial by default.

I don't think the Okuda Chronology should've had the five-year mission in TOS lasting from 2264 to 2269. And I don't think "Q2" (VOY) should've established the five-year mission as ending in 2270.

I think the five-year mission should've been from 2266 to 2271. If you're going to retroactively establish TOS as taking place 300 years after when it first aired, then ending the five-year mission in 2271 is a nod to the fact that had TOS run five seasons, it would've ended in 1971.

12. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but if the first season of the show largely takes place in year 2 of the 5 year mission, with WNMHGB being the only year 1 episode, then ending in 2270 makes sense from a certain point of view.

suarezguy and cooleddie74 like this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Plus the canon existence of TAS allows you to fill in at least some of the 2269-70 gap between "Turnabout Intruder(TOS)" and the Enterprise returing home for her refit.

14. Lord Garth

"Where No Man Has Gone Before", at least the '90s syndicated version that I first watched, didn't have the "Space, the Final Frontier" monologue. Between that and the different uniforms, I figured WNMHGB took place before the five-year mission.

Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll go with the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology timeline where the five year mission lasted from roughly 2210-2213.

16. Lord Garth

What made the "five"-year mission end early?

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It notes that it ended after three years, "the much-used Enterprise was returned to Earth drydock". It doesn't go into the details. I think it still meshes with TMP, giving Kirk command during two separate missions.

18. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Who knows if it ended early and if it did why but perhaps it's called a five year mission because it was originally planned for being a five year mission?

19. Lord Garth

I think Kirk knows. ;)

Kirk: "I'm replacing you as Captain of the Enterprise. You'll stay on as Executive Officer. Temporary grade reduction to Commander."
    Decker: "You personally are assuming command?"
    Kirk: "Yeah."
    Decker: "May I ask why?"
    Kirk: "My experience, five years out there dealing with unknowns like this, my familiarity with the Enterprise, this crew."
    Decker: "Admiral, this is an almost totally new Enterprise. You don't know her a tenth as well as I do."
    Kirk: "That's why you're staying aboard. I'm sorry."
    Decker: "No, Admiral. I don't think you're sorry. Not one damn bit."

TMP came out in December 1979. The Spaceflight Chronology came out in 1980. In fairness, they probably wrote and/or researched the bulk of (if not all of) that chronology before having a chance to see the movie.

20. MAGolding

One of the assumptions made by the Okudas was that then an event is said to be X hundred years early it is exactly X hundrd years before.

One of the other assumptions of the Okudas were that TOS episods happen 300 years after TO wa first broadcast, in 2266-2269.

In "The Savage Curtain" Mr. Scott makes a gesture while saying:

And Spock corrects him.

Abraham Lincoln died in 1865, so 300 years later would put "The Savage Curtain" in 2165.

That would be a few years after the latest date mentioned in TOS, 2156 in "Wolf in the Fold", and so seems quite possible.

If "The Savage Curtain" happens in 2269, Abraham Lincoln wouldhave to die in 1969, 109 years after being born, due to some sort of science ficiotnal event.

We can assume that Spock would have corrected Mr. Scott about the time since LInclon died, instead of the currect direction to Earth, if the time span Scott mentioned was too far off what Spock considered a reasonable allowance for human vagueness.

So what margin would Spock have allowed an dnot bothered to correct? I don't know. But I consider it certain that Spock would have corrected Scott if Scott mentioned the wrong number of centuries. Therefore, "The Savage curtain" should happpen sometime between two centuries and four centuries after 1865, or sometimes between 2065 and 2265.

And even the latest date in that very liberal date range, 2265, is a few years before the date of 'The Savage Curtain" according to the Okudas.

A latest possible date for "The Savage Curtain" of 2265 does agree with the date of the early 2260s in various Star Trek technical works and championed by what's his name, as well as with the date in about the 2250s in the earliest Star Trek chronology I know of, in the fanzine Star Trek: An Analysis of a Phenomenon in science ficiton.(1968), and the 2200s date in the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology, and many other dates in various Star Trek chronologies.

21. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Scottie's wrong. Ask the average engineer now when Henry the VIII or George III died.