What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Current audiobook: Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett.
    Current printed book: Dipterists Digest #9 - a Colour Guide to Hoverfly Larvae. Propably not a book a non-biologist would fancy for a bedtime read but it's unusually well written and the author (Graham Rotheray) shares a lot of personal experiences. The general feeling is not so much that of a determination key but rather like you'd chat with the author over a cuppa.

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saturday by Ian McEwan.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to Make Room, Make Room by Harry Harrison, narrated by Eric Michael Summerer. Written it 1966, set in 1999 Harrison predicted the population of the world being 7 billion, but was way off the mark at having the population of New York at the 35 million mark.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just started The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons, a Sherlock Holmes mystery featuring the author Henry James.

5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished ready the original "The World of Star Trek" by David Gerrold, pretty interesting perspective from back in the day (which I remember quite well). Now, I just started "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe; I have not read it in about 20 years so it sounds good.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the book that Soylent Green was based on?

7. Miss Chicken

Yes, it is. It has been a very long time since I have read the book or watched the movie

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  8. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"On Earth We are Briefly Gorgeous" by Ocean Vuong. I anticipated two books to arrive today, in the mail, and this was one of them. It is billed as a son's letter to his mother, a Vietnamese family in America and the mother was a child herself during the bloody war. The title was titillating and within the first chapter, it has not been a disappointment.

The mother is dead, physically, as this letter is written. The relationship involves abuse from mother to child, after she suffers from PTSD, and her struggles to connect with a young boy, his mounting frustrations, and its sober assessment of a complicated relationship. It leans heavy on symbolism. There is the use of shadow repeated to show that while the mother is abusive, the son, as an adult, is also "a monster." Eyes are loneliness. Death is on every page, and it is almost a stage of sleep, reimagining the blood and injury and death and loss in this relationship. It's beautiful.

9. think

think Wrong-thinking will be punished Premium Member

History of the Buddhist group I am apart of.
    World affairs and such during that time,,,.
    From living Buddhism and the new human revolution,,volume 7
    Just facts is all true stuff,..

KimMH likes this.
  10. Miss Chicken

Princesses Behaving Badly by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie. Currently learning about Eleanor, Duchess of Gloucester who was found guilty of witchcraft.

Velocity, KimMH and think like this.
  11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

12. KimMH

KimMH Interwebz Space Auntie. Premium Member

Would like to know what you think of it -I’ve put it on a watchlist to poss buy.

13. Miss Chicken

I am enjoying it so far though each ‘princess’ is only covered briefly. I already knew about some of the European women mentioned but nothing at all about the African women. As far as the Chinese women are concerned I had only previously known about Empress Wu. I had never heard of Roxalena (Hurrem Sultan) wife of Suleyman the Magnificent, nor had I heard of La Malinche wno was an interpreter, advisor, and intermediary for the Spanish conquistador, Cortes.

It has been slow going with this book because I keep going and researching more about these women.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    KimMH likes this.
  14. KimMH

KimMH Interwebz Space Auntie. Premium Member

Sounds awesome, thank you!

15. Miss Chicken

Yesterday I listened to The Amazing Mrs Livesey by Freda Marnie Nicholls, narrated by Ella James.

Biography of a rather horrid woman. Married at least 8 times, sometimes bigamously, abandoned one son to be raised by her in-laws in England, deserted two sons to be raised in foster care in Australia, ripped off her loving father, her husbands, people who considered her to be a friend, shopkeepers, old people she was housekeeper to etc etc.

Today I have just started Women’s Work: The First 20,000 Years: Women, Cloth and Society in Early Times by Elizabeth Wayland Barber.

KimMH likes this.
  16. Miss Chicken

I am about a third of the way through One Hot Summer: Dickens, Darwin, Disraeli and the Great Stink of 1858 by Rosemary Ashton. It is meandering but interesting. The bits I have found most interesting are those dealing with the first sittings of the newly formed divorce courts and a
    So of certain scandals that never reached the divorce courts including Dicken’s affair with young actress. I am not sure how riveted I will be when the book starts to discuss in details the problems of the the London sewerage system.
    Currently covering Alfred Russel Wallace.

Edited to cover my big mistake - it was Dickens who had the affair with the actress. I have no idea why I typed in Darwin.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    KimMH likes this.
  17. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Captain Captain

The Action Hero's Handbook
    also A Fine and Pleasant Misery.

18. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Patrick McManus? Love his books, so funny!

19. Miss Chicken

Just finished listening to William Hanna and Joseph Barbera: The Sultans of Saturday Morning (Legends of Animation) by Jeff Lenburg, narrated by Barry Abrams. It was informative, and I liked learning about the origins of many of my favourite cartoon characters. I kept going over to YouTube to look at the earlier cartoons.

20. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Classic C.S. Forester - Horatio Hornblower (currently finishing 'Hornblower and the Hotspur'). I haven't read these in quite a few years - still rollicking fun.